Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Anonymous Discussions

Anonymous Discussions If you don't want to put your name to your post you can post anonymously here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th Nov 2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Posting Anonymously

Default Craigslist-safe?

How safe would be craigslist sex? Just wondering.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Numfarh

Tournaments Won: 43

Default Re: Craigslist-safe?

Yes. It can be. It just depends on how you approach it.

Well, there are some general rules to follow whenever you are meeting someone for the first time:

1. Tell at least one person where you are going, who you are meeting and when you expect to be back. That way, if anything should happen, you will have at least one person who knows where you are. I'm not saying that you have to tell them that you are going to have sex, but they should be informed about your whereabouts. If you think you can't do this bit? I wouldn't recommend going out. But that's just me.

2. Be sure that you talk about using protection before you get hot and heavy with the person. There is nothing worse than assuming a person uses condoms and then them getting all huffy when you want to play it safe. Be very firm in your decision to be safe.

3. Use protection. Condoms. No exceptions.

4. Use your better judgement. If something seems off, there is probably something wrong. Follow your instincts. Better off accidentally leaving a totally harmless date than winding up in an awkward or scary situation later.

5. Initially meet in a public place such as a restaurant. That way if it doesn't work out, you can leave from there without too much pressure to stay. And if you want to pursue sex, you can go back with that person to some location.

6. Be aware that you may have to try for awhile before you find someone you click with enough to have sex with. Not being attracted to the first person you meet is alright. And you may encountered a whack ton of spam bots. Try to ignore it.

7. Have fun! I know I sound scary and all, but I have met great people through craigslist. So relax and enjoy it, just be safe about it!
Old 12th Nov 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Posting Anonymously

OP here,
thanks for the reply. I think it should be fine if I be smart about it. I'm just kind of hesitant because I don't want to end up in a dangerous situation and whatnot.
Old 12th Nov 2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Numfarh

Tournaments Won: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
OP here,
thanks for the reply. I think it should be fine if I be smart about it. I'm just kind of hesitant because I don't want to end up in a dangerous situation and whatnot.
Take the precautions I mentioned and you won't be. Simple as that.
Old 12th Nov 2010, 05:30 PM   #5
The gay gargoyle
EC Advisor

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

I'll just say there are much better options.

Lex
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Posting Anonymously

OP here:
I know this may sound kind of shallow and selfish but I really don't have a time right now for any relationship or dating. but I still want to have sex. that's why I was thinking about craigslist.
Old 12th Nov 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
The gay gargoyle
EC Advisor

That's understandable, but there are still better options. Craigslist is a bit like the greasy-spoon diner of hook-up sites. People often complain about the quality of the hook-ups they found on craigslist, which is like complaining that the steak you got at the greasy-spoon wasn't very good. Hey - it's craiglist, you know?

I won't talk about other options here (and none of the rest of you should, either). But if you'd like, send me a private message, and we can discuss it further.

Lex
Old 13th Nov 2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Forum Admins
EC Admin

You don't say if you're seeking a male or female partner. From what little I know of lesbian encounters, Numfarh's experience matches what I've heard. But if you're a woman seeking a man, or a man seeking a man, based on the experiences I have heard about from many people who have had them with Craigslist people, I would pretty strongly agree with Lex that there are much, much better options, even if you're looking for hookups.

To be fair, it probably also varies somewhat by location, but in general, the nature and quality of the people on Craigslist in the hookup section (particularly M4M) that I've been privy to hearing about, tends to be really sketchy. (This information relates to Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco, LA, and DC; a handful of reports in each and a lot of reports from the bay area.)

First, it tends to skew heavily toward older people. Second, there is an awful lot of fakery (fake pics, gross misreperesntations about age, appearance, history, etc.)

Third, even if you take all the precautions that Numfarh suggests, there's no real way to ensure that what happens when you get alone will in any way match what the person represents when you're in a public place. It seems that a lot of guys get really aggressive, are extremely selfish, and really don't care much about their hookup partners. Very few of the people I know who have gone on such encounters have been happy afterwards. Most felt rather gross.

If you really want to have random hookups and are looking for male/male, there are other, better sites out there. There are also bathhouses, which are probably safer.

And personally, I always think about health safety. Anyone who is on Craigslist is probably having a lot of casual sex. As such, they are a lot more likely to pick up some sort of STI than someone who doesn't seek a lot of hookups. You should always be safe in every encounter, but no sex is completely safe, and personally, I believe it's wise to try and stack the odds by being safe AND being with someone who doesn't hook up on a regular basis.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Fmr EC Health Expert

Quote:
Depends on your definition of "safe".
KaraBulut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Posting Anonymously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
You don't say if you're seeking a male or female partner. From what little I know of lesbian encounters, Numfarh's experience matches what I've heard. But if you're a woman seeking a man, or a man seeking a man, based on the experiences I have heard about from many people who have had them with Craigslist people, I would pretty strongly agree with Lex that there are much, much better options, even if you're looking for hookups.

To be fair, it probably also varies somewhat by location, but in general, the nature and quality of the people on Craigslist in the hookup section (particularly M4M) that I've been privy to hearing about, tends to be really sketchy. (This information relates to Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco, LA, and DC; a handful of reports in each and a lot of reports from the bay area.)

First, it tends to skew heavily toward older people. Second, there is an awful lot of fakery (fake pics, gross misreperesntations about age, appearance, history, etc.)

Third, even if you take all the precautions that Numfarh suggests, there's no real way to ensure that what happens when you get alone will in any way match what the person represents when you're in a public place. It seems that a lot of guys get really aggressive, are extremely selfish, and really don't care much about their hookup partners. Very few of the people I know who have gone on such encounters have been happy afterwards. Most felt rather gross.

If you really want to have random hookups and are looking for male/male, there are other, better sites out there. There are also bathhouses, which are probably safer.

And personally, I always think about health safety. Anyone who is on Craigslist is probably having a lot of casual sex. As such, they are a lot more likely to pick up some sort of STI than someone who doesn't seek a lot of hookups. You should always be safe in every encounter, but no sex is completely safe, and personally, I believe it's wise to try and stack the odds by being safe AND being with someone who doesn't hook up on a regular basis.
I am aware of this. My brain tells me it's definitely not safe to do this, my body tells me go for it. It's an ongoing battle actually. Some posts in m4m section are kind of creepy actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBulut View Post
Quote:
Depends on your definition of "safe".
I would say in terms of someone being a total insane psycho sexually aggressive/violent person.
And also the risks of STD.
Old 13th Nov 2010, 08:10 AM   #11
The gay gargoyle
EC Advisor

Hooking up with strangers is a hot fantasy, but perhaps even more than most fantasies, the reality can be a major letdown. I remember my human sexuality professor telling us "That's the beauty of the fantasy. You can change it as you go along, you can push away everything you don't want, and when you're done, there's no ramifications. I always wanted to have sex on a beach. And then, when I finally got to, I realized how hard sand is...and how it gets everywhere you don't want it to."

Why not look into other options? It certainly isn't "craigslist" or "celibacy"...

Lex
Old 14th Nov 2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Posting Anonymously

ive met some guys on CL n other sites.
some were ok experiences. some not so much.
lot of freaks, some become stalkers.

its good advice about the public place, , n even if its just meeting in a car for a quick bj or jo, at least u can get out if u need to.

unless ur a huge guy, be careful bout meeting at his place. i met a older guy who seemed cool, said it didnt matter to him what we did or if we did ne thing. he even made me dinner, almost like a date i guess. we got really drunk n then after that what i wanted to do didnt matter. he did what he wanted n i couldnt get him off me. i lost my vcard to this bastard.
so ya be careful. even the guys that seem normal arent always.