Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Anonymous Discussions

Anonymous Discussions If you don't want to put your name to your post you can post anonymously here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th Nov 2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Posting Anonymously

Default Security Blanket?

Hey everyone, I came across this article today and thought it was pretty interesting because I can relate to it. My question to you is, do you still have a security blanket/object (stuffed animals, etc.) that you've had since you were a baby/very young? I've had my blue blanket since I was a baby--and I'm a 19-year-old guy now. I know it's "normal," but something about it comforts me. My parents don't mind at all. It's funny though because all of my 3 siblings had "security blankets" as well but they all stopped carrying them when they were around 11 or so. This article really clears things up though, and I completely agree with it. I think part of it is also the fact that I'm gay, and that I'm still sort of insecure about everything, which is why I turn to my blanket all the time- Its literally hard for me to fall asleep if my blanket isn't right next to me (weird, lol i know). Since I've had it my entire life, I'm obviously attached to it emotionally. A couple months ago, my dad asked me if I would give up my blanket for $10,000, lol and I responded no. Money is replaceable but my blanket is not. You can imagine after 19 years of use, my blanket is really torn up and thin--obviously my friends don't know about my blanket... it'd be pretty embarrassing lol. I know this article describes children, but I think it can apply to all people in general, regardless of age:

Quote:
Every parent understands that their child needs the comfort of their blanket each night when they go to sleep. While most of them do know and accept this fact, not all of them are aware of the reason for the attachment of the kids to their blankets. There have been a number of studies that have been conducted in this field to try and understand the affinity of the child to its blanket. Let us try and understand the results of studies and the reasons for the popularity of the blankets among kids of all age groups.

First of all, the blanket provides a sense of comfort and security. This is the feeling the child associates with its mother right from the time it arrives into this world. Hence, as the child grows it looks for the same level of comfort and security from the other objects around it. This is one of the fundamental reasons for the child to prefer the blanket.

In addition to providing these two benefits, the child also feels warm when wrapped with the blanket. This is another feeling associated with the mother when she hugs her child. Blankets like giraffe blankets have been designed keeping in mind the needs to the child. The fabric used for these blankets are chosen with care to ensure the child does not experience any discomfort. Naturally, the child develops an affinity to objects that keep it snug and warm and does not irritate the delicate skin in any way.

The chenille blankets are a rage among the little ones. The material is akin to the feel of the mother. A child needs the presence of his mother when he goes to sleep. These blankets offer the child the feeling of having their mother around them when they fall asleep. There are so many qualities of these blankets that are associated with the mother who is an important person is the child's life which makes it a necessity for your little one.

Child psychologists, who have conducted many studies in this regard, say that children always look towards certain objects to provide them with a sense of well being. This is the reason when children are involved in accidents or any other mishaps they are given the toy or blanket of their choice for company. This helps them recover fast and return to normalcy faster than expected. For many little ones, just having the security blanket by their side gives them a feeling of all things being under control.

In a surprising discovery, the research that was conducted by Richard H Passen and his team at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee revealed that children liked their security blanket because it helped them cope with newer changes in life and helps in their learning. In fact, blankets of multiple colors are the best way to get children to learn the names of the colors and recognize their easily.

Kids, probably like all of us adults, like the feeling of being safe and kept warm and snuggled at all times. It is no wonder then, that the security blanket becomes an indispensable object for them.
This is a really random thread, and I know not many teens still have security blankets/objects, but I'm interested to see if there are other people out there that still use a security blanket/object. What's your opinion on this article, and do you think its a good thing or bad thing to still have a security blanket as a teen/adult? And do you still have a security blanket/object (stuffed animals, etc.) that you've had since you were a baby/very young?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 10:32 PM   #2
I'm straight now............sikeeee

Orientation: Guy fetish
Out Status: Parents, siblings, and therapist

Default Re: Security Blanket?

No....I almost wish I had something like that, though. I know my sister has had this stuffed animal dog named "Nicky" lol she's had it for at least 15 years.

I kinda wish I had something like that.

I've been thinking 'bout this all day long, Never felt a feeling quite this strong...I can't believe how much it turns me on, Just to be your man...
GoinStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Filip's sidekick

Orientation: Straight
Out Status: Out and proud ally

I have a rabbit, named Léon, knitted by my mother. I have it since I was born and it is currently living on my pillow.
I used to be quite embarassed still sleeping with him when I was a teenager, but when I turned 20, I decided I really didn't care. Some of my friends know about him and my husband is getting along with him very well. He was never bothered by the fact I sleep with Léon at nights.
I am able to sleep without it. I'm not bringing it around when I'm on weekends or holidays. But when I'm home, I'm searching for it before sleeping and when I am very tired, or especially sad and depressed, I hold him to fall asleep.
I totaly realized it's a bit weird for a 30 years old married woman, and I don't care the slightest. It doesn't hurt anyone, me included, and it's comforting me when I need to, I really don't see any reason to do otherwise.
If you're happy with your blanket, that's perfectly fine to keep it
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Posting Anonymously

I have a blanket that I've had since I was very young. It's a thermal material and I can sort of replace it with anything of the same material and still be able to have the same amount of comfort I guess. I remember when I was really young my dad would put it on his shoulder and I would lie down on his shoulder while he walked around the house until I fell asleep. I usually cover a pillow with the blanket to go to sleep.
Old 16th Nov 2010, 01:45 AM   #5
What is love?

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Well I DID have a security blanket when I was younger but my parents took it away from me because I always had it with me and they didn't like it. I was so upset when they took it. I also used it when I would suck my thumb because it really calmed me down in certain situations. It was such a stress reliever. After my parents took it I would have mini panic attacks but I never let my parents or anyone else know about this. I was so attachd to the blanket that I went in search of it and found it in my parents bedroom and ended up cutting pieces from it. Just knowing that I had those pieces was so comforting. I don't have any of those pieces today but as embarrasing as it is I still tend to suck my thumb when I am stressed out or upset about something. It really helps me to calm down. I like never admit that to anybody because I know it is not normal for a 21 year old to still suck their thumb but I know it is nothing to be ashamed about.
EWU2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2010, 09:39 AM   #6
EC's realist

Out Status: Out to everyone

I have an actual blanket from when I was in high school. Don't why I don't throw it away.
Old 20th Nov 2010, 12:59 PM   #7
I'm straight now............sikeeee

Orientation: Guy fetish
Out Status: Parents, siblings, and therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWU2012 View Post
Well I DID have a security blanket when I was younger but my parents took it away from me because I always had it with me and they didn't like it. I was so upset when they took it. I also used it when I would suck my thumb because it really calmed me down in certain situations. It was such a stress reliever. After my parents took it I would have mini panic attacks but I never let my parents or anyone else know about this. I was so attachd to the blanket that I went in search of it and found it in my parents bedroom and ended up cutting pieces from it. Just knowing that I had those pieces was so comforting. I don't have any of those pieces today but as embarrasing as it is I still tend to suck my thumb when I am stressed out or upset about something. It really helps me to calm down. I like never admit that to anybody because I know it is not normal for a 21 year old to still suck their thumb but I know it is nothing to be ashamed about.
That is adorable. I feel so bad for you getting your blanket taken away and cutting little pieces from it.

I've been thinking 'bout this all day long, Never felt a feeling quite this strong...I can't believe how much it turns me on, Just to be your man...
GoinStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Posting Anonymously

Yep, I have a blanket. It's the softest thing on this planet, and I love it waayy too much.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having a blanket or a stuffed animal. As long as you're not going over the edge, like crying without it or having to take it on vacations instead of packing enough underwear, there isn't anything wrong!

=)
Old 24th Nov 2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Z3ni

Tournaments Won: 62

Yeah I did I used to love looking at it, with its animals patterns, but I think I threw it away D:
Old 24th Nov 2010, 05:53 PM   #10
EC Addict

Out Status: this closet is nice and roomy!

Tournaments Won: 1

i have bungle from rainbow, im 17 and i still take it on holiday abroad. and its falling apart but would sell it for anything, there nothing wrong with it. just be who you are if people problem with they need to pull the head out thier arse.
darkcheesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Confusion all over the place

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Six friends, mom, dad and brother!!

17 going on 18 and I am still lovin' my blue blanket I'm holding it right now as a matter of fact
Old 24th Nov 2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Z3ni

Tournaments Won: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcheesse View Post
would sell it for anything

Lol i don't think anyone would want it
Old 24th Nov 2010, 07:01 PM   #13
raised by nintendo and sega

Out Status: all but extended family

i still have a sonic doll that i keep in my room since i was little
Old 25th Nov 2010, 07:47 PM   #14
EC Addict

Out Status: this closet is nice and roomy!

Tournaments Won: 1

i meant wouldn't okay?
darkcheesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Nov 2010, 08:28 PM   #15
ninja.

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Everyone but extended family.

I have way too much stuff from when I was little that I'm attatched too. My bedroom is really bright and colorful though, so my little kid stuff tends to blend it. There are two pink baby blankets next to my pillow, two of my favorite stuffed bunnies that I still take with me on trips, a pretty torn up quilt that my grandmother made for me before she died, and soooo much else. And I don't plan on giving it all up anytime soon, no matter who says shit about it.