Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Anonymous Discussions

Anonymous Discussions If you don't want to put your name to your post you can post anonymously here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th Jul 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Posting Anonymously

Default homosexual twins?

mmmm ok so i hope this isnt a stupid question

i heard that if you are homosexual and have a twin.. that there is a 70 percent chance your twin will b gay too.

i was wondering if this only applied to identical twins, or if fraternal twins could be included.

identical twins are essentially the same because they have the same genetic make up.

but what about fraternal twins? they are in the womb together but have different DNA.

and what if one twin is a boy and the other is a girl? is it still a 70 percent possibility?

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Forum Admins
EC Admin

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Default Re: homosexual twins?

As far as I know, fraternal twins have no more likelihood of both being gay or lesbian than any other siblings in a family.

In other words, there are many, many families with 4 or 5 kids where only one is gay. Fraternal twins wouldn't be any different than any other brother or sister.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 02:59 AM   #3
Nyandere

Orientation: Likes girls, licks boys
Out Status: As bi- Anyone; As a girl- No one

This is an interesting question... so I found this.

From the Tech Museum, Stanford University of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Barry Starr, Stanford University
A number of studies have looked at homosexuality in twins, all with similar results. For example, in one study, if one identical twin was gay, the other was also gay 50% of the time. If they were fraternal twins, they were both gay 22% of the time. And if one was adopted, the chances fell to 11%.

Now these numbers are from one study. Other studies have different percentages but the same trend -- identical twins are more likely to both be gay as compared to fraternal twins.
I'm curious about the rate of transgenderism among twins, though there's probably not a large enough population of people to get conclusive data.
solarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Fmr EC Health Expert

There have been several studies that looked at multiple births and the "nature versus nurture" question. The findings usually follow the same findings as the Starr study.

One of the more interesting studies looked at twins who lived apart and had therefore had different "nurture" conditions. The findings were the same.

The criticism of these studies is that they usually rely solely upon volunteer subjects which may skew the results. There was a study done looking at adult twin pairs that attempted to address the issue of bias and the results did find that environment did contribute between 0-17% of a person's choice in sexual partners. On the other hand, 18-39% of a person's choice in sexual partners could be attributed to genetic predisposition.

Last edited by KaraBulut; 31st Jul 2011 at 06:31 AM..
KaraBulut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Posting Anonymously

I watched a documentary the other day citing that one theory that homosexuality begins in utero (this study focuses only on male homosexuality) and that it has to do with the amount of estrogen a fetus is exposed to in the womb...following that line of thought, I'm assuming that both twins would be exposed to the same amount, and so it would make no difference if they were fraternal or identical. *Shrugs* that's just one school of thought, though.
Old 28th Jul 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Literary Vagabond

Orientation: Dudes
Out Status: Not really

Im a fraternal twin brother but had never even thought about wheter or not he shared my non hetreosexuality. I usually think of him more as my brother of my same age than a twin. but 22% that is a lot mpre than i had excpected. I am the elder twin by 30 minutes and are bothe taller and heavier if only by an inch and 10 pounds. als we go to different schools but still live together. does this change any of the statisics? Also i was closer to our mom where he spent more time with our dad. I'm realy curious what hos chances of not being staight are now. I had never thought of it before.

I know its not a problem and im not out yet but I'd feel realy bad for my parents of there only two children of the same age going to clollege in a year at the same time not being staright. that sure would be a lot to take in.
paper person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Is mise Daibhidh

I have an identical twin. I'm gay, but my twin brother is straight.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Maximum Ridiculosity

Out Status: out as 'gay'. in the gender closet atm

lol I know this is not substantial or scientific, but my honest to goodness first thought was "Tegan and Sara!"
Old 31st Jul 2011, 05:57 AM   #9
Posting Anonymously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
mmmm ok so i hope this isnt a stupid question

i heard that if you are homosexual and have a twin.. that there is a 70 percent chance your twin will b gay too.

i was wondering if this only applied to identical twins, or if fraternal twins could be included.

identical twins are essentially the same because they have the same genetic make up.

but what about fraternal twins? they are in the womb together but have different DNA.

and what if one twin is a boy and the other is a girl? is it still a 70 percent possibility?

I know two gay boy twins. They're not identical at all, but they are both gay. I'd assume it's still very possible for fraternal twins to both be gay.
Old 31st Jul 2011, 06:03 AM   #10
BEWARB!

Out Status: Friends, Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamwatch View Post
lol I know this is not substantial or scientific, but my honest to goodness first thought was "Tegan and Sara!"
Same
Old 31st Jul 2011, 06:11 AM   #11
Well Known

I have a fraternal twin, she is a girl, and I'm a guy.I haven't told her I'm gay yet, but I'm like 90% sure she's not. It makes sense that identical twins would share that statistic since they develop from the same egg, and have pretty much identical dna. Fraternal twins develop from two different eggs, so therefore have different dna
theWorldisYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2011, 07:01 AM   #12
Posting Anonymously

Quote:
Me too! :]
Old 31st Jul 2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Leo Pard?

Orientation: Girlies
Out Status: A few people

Quote:
Me too!
Flem Fatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2011, 07:44 AM   #14
EC Addict

Out Status: The people who matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper person View Post
I know its not a problem and im not out yet but I'd feel realy bad for my parents of there only two children of the same age going to clollege in a year at the same time not being staright. that sure would be a lot to take in.
I know how you feel. I also have a fraternal twin, and I have also wondered if he is gay, too. I think not, but I always worry about if he is because we are my parents only children and it would be very different for them. Selfishly, it also kind of makes me want to come out sooner because if I come out, and he turns out to be gay, then he will be the one that breaks their hearts not me.
Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2011, 08:06 AM   #15
XSethX

Tournaments Won: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

what if one twin is a boy and the other is a girl? is it still a 70 percent possibility?
Well I know twins, a boy and a girl and they're both gay. I also know twins again a boy and a girl who both are bisexual!
Old 31st Jul 2011, 08:11 AM   #16
RAWR DINOSAURS

Orientation: I like people who make small motile sex cells.
Out Status: CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP

Maternal effect (the effect of essentially growing in the mother) is probably one of the least studied (because it's incredibly difficult to study) factors that likely greatly effects how we (and all other organisms with mothers) grow and function.

Considering twins are generally subject to very similar maternal effects, and at least 50% of their genes are similar, it's very likely that they'd share qualities one of which may be homosexuality.
Old 31st Jul 2011, 08:43 AM   #17
Posting Anonymously

My boyfriend did a presentation on this. According to his research, if a gay person has an identical twin, the twin will also be gay 50% of the time. Even if they were raised in separate households. With fraternal twins, since they don't share the same DNA, the other twin will only also be gay 20% of the time. Whether or not they were raised in the same house.
Old 31st Jul 2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Posting Anonymously

isn't it true that with each male child the chances of homosexuality increase? So wouldn't twins work the same way? Even though they're twins wouldn't the chances of a twin being gay be the same chances as a second son being gay?

Also, I wonder if what makes guys gay is the same thing that makes women lesbians. I would guess not, considering women tend to have more fluid sexualities than men.
Old 31st Jul 2011, 02:08 PM   #19
EC Biggest Tarantino fan

Orientation: As bent as a roundabout
Out Status: What Closet

I heard:
Identical twins are 70% more likly to be gay if one is gay.
Ferternal twins are 50% more likly to be gay if one is gay.
Non twin siblings are 10% more likely to be gay after every born (male only)
Old 20th Jan 2013, 01:48 AM   #20
Posting Anonymously

I am a fraternal twin. I wonder if my twin brother is gay. I also have another set of twin brothers who are two years younger than me. I think one of them is gay...
Interesting.