Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Anonymous Discussions

Anonymous Discussions If you don't want to put your name to your post you can post anonymously here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th Oct 2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Posting Anonymously

Default Too old for transition?

So first of all, I was online last night watching youtube videos of mtf women through the process of transition and I was blown away. I had no idea that this kind of thing was actually possible. I mean ... it was like seeing a cure to some terrible disease. I couldn't believe how drastically hormone therapy is able to effect the appearance of the women who were transitioning.

Not to say that I am going to be going through with this or anything, although it's definitely something I'm going to talk to my therapist about extensively.

But I'm wondering. I'm 24 years old and about 6'1''. I'm skinny and have pretty feminine features in my face and general physique. But do you think I would be too old or tall for this type of process? A lot of the people I've seen online began transition when they were still 19-20. I feel like if this was something I would want to do, that I would want to make sure I have enough time to enjoy being a girl while I'm still young. You know?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 06:36 AM   #2

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Anyone who asks me.

Default Re: Too old for transition?

I don't think there's an age limit, but I'm no expert. I'm surprised your therapist didn't suggest it actually, or at least mention it... Good luck anyway!
jamjras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 06:45 AM   #3
BEWARB!

Out Status: Friends, Sister

I saw an episode of a medical show in the UK where one of the patients was a 60 year old who went through a transition when she was in her 40's. Never too late to be who you are.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Posting Anonymously

I appreciate the responses. Does anyone know how long it typically takes for HRT to have significant effects?
Old 25th Oct 2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Japanese enthusiast girl

Orientation: Asexual Panromantic
Out Status: Out to whoever asks.

About 2 years is how long it takes
StarofMiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 09:19 AM   #6

^Two years sounds about right, I'm sure there's a lot on information on the web if you google it.
Here's a documentation of one case: AYDENandKYLIE's Channel - YouTube
I don't know where you live but if you get diagnosed with Gender Dysmorphia, here in the UK at least, you can get treatment free. And surgery too I think, if you want that.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Posting Anonymously

It's free in the UK!? omg from what I've read it would cost me upwards of $150,000 here in the states. I wish I was british =(
Old 25th Oct 2011, 12:43 PM   #8

Out Status: Some people

The biggest hurdle with transitioning is being comfortable with yourself. Other than that any age can transition. I struggle everyday with my non feminine features, but I feel so comfortable presenting myself as female and as girly as possible, it usually goes away
Klokwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Posting Anonymously

I had a friend. That went through it. We lost in. Contact. She had it down when she was between 45-49.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Idealistic Misanthrope

Orientation: Pansexual
Out Status: Stealth, out as Pan

5 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
So first of all, I was online last night watching youtube videos of mtf women through the process of transition and I was blown away. I had no idea that this kind of thing was actually possible. I mean ... it was like seeing a cure to some terrible disease. I couldn't believe how drastically hormone therapy is able to effect the appearance of the women who were transitioning.

Not to say that I am going to be going through with this or anything, although it's definitely something I'm going to talk to my therapist about extensively.

But I'm wondering. I'm 24 years old and about 6'1''. I'm skinny and have pretty feminine features in my face and general physique. But do you think I would be too old or tall for this type of process? A lot of the people I've seen online began transition when they were still 19-20. I feel like if this was something I would want to do, that I would want to make sure I have enough time to enjoy being a girl while I'm still young. You know?
No, your not too old. I've almost already started hormones, but apparent;y, my therapist told me, he's never met anyone my age read to transition. I've talked to transwomen online who transitioned in their 50's. As for your height, well I've seen cid-gendered women who are that height. You may feel a bit akward, but I expect it will pass, and its nothing compared to living your life as the wrong gender.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 01:44 PM   #11

Hormone therapy is free and if you plead your case hard enough, they'd probably give you surgery. I tend to find that the NHS will fund anything so long as you beg enough, it's somewhat degrading but if you want treatment enough you'll do it.
I heard that one girl got a boob job because she was so 'psychologically affected' by having a flat chest!
No wonder we're all broke. But free healthcare is great, fuck knows how much I've cost the NHS in therapy
Old 26th Oct 2011, 12:01 AM   #12
Posting Anonymously

Like everyone else said on here you arent to old.their are older people in their 40s or 50s or whatever that get surgery.u can do it.good luck!
Old 26th Oct 2011, 10:04 AM   #13
EC Biggest Tarantino fan

Orientation: As bent as a roundabout
Out Status: What Closet

There was one case of a 60 year old going thought it.
Old 26th Oct 2011, 10:40 PM   #14
The user formerly known as kiersten

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Pretty much out to friends,family & at my college

Nope, you're never too old to start! I'm 26 & starting to transition now! I've aleady been told by a few people that I already look really feminine, when I talked with my therapist, I showed her a couple of pics, one a couple of years ago & one from July of this year. She was very impressed with how drastically different I looked, without the help of hormones. One person I talk to on another site even asked me if I was going out in public as female already, so Im pretty encouraged about how well the hormones will work for me! And I am by no means a really skinny girl either! So, it all comes down to how comfortable you are with your body. If it's something you feel that you just can't keep living with, then definitely discuss it with your therapist> When I went to my first appt, I brought a copy of the Harry Benjamin Standards Of Care, which is the standard guide therapists use to assist in the process. My therapist was quite happy that I did too, plus it shows a bit of thought on your part to research the transitioning process a bit. When I talked at my appt, my therapist could tell I have given a lot of thought & investigated many of the issues (legal, reproduction, medical, etc) before I made my appt & came in to see her. Plus, it's important when transitioning to feel comfortable with your therapist. If you feel like they aren't taking you seriously or are being resistant to helping you thru everything, don't hesitate to check into other therapists in your area with experience with trans people & then call them & ask them a few questions. I actually posted a thread somewhere about good questions to ask a prospective therapist when you want to transition. If you can find it, give it a read. Good questions to even ask your current therapist too! Good luck! And remember, transitioning to female doesn't necessarily mean having a vaginoplasty & replacing the genitals either. Many trans women transition to female without having their penis removed, so there are different degree of transition. You dont have to feel if it's all or nothing when transitioning is my point! Good luck!
Leonard: Honestly, we've been operating under the assumption that he has no deal.
Katelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2011, 05:24 AM   #15
Posting Anonymously

Kiersten your response and pms have been a huge relief and I appreciate every word. I have been doing a ton of research lately and the entire process seems amazing. In my case I would definitely want to go all the way to SRS. I'm really nervous about talking to my current therapist about it, at least until I have done a little more research. Her profile describes her as being experiences with working with the LGBT community but she doesn't ask me much about my sexuality or gender even though I have brought it up on several occassions.

My plan right now is to focus on growing my hair, developing more feminine manuerisms and speach, and looking into electrolosis costs. I want to experiment with being a girl when I'm on my own so I can start to feel more comfortable in my own skin before I start the more serious discussions with my therapist.

The things I'm most concerned about are:
1)my age: I'm worried that since I'm 24 about to turn 25 that issues like receding hairline will be a serious issue. It's not super bad which is why I'm planing on getting blockers soon to prevent any further hairloss, I just feel like having long hair would be a crutial first step in feminization for me.

2)my height: I'm 6'1" and even as a man I have serious self-confidence issues because of it. I hate being tall, and I'm worried that being so tall will be a dead give away for some people.

3)money: well duh =P

4)my education: I start school this january and plan on pursuing all the way through to my doctorate. I am scared that cost or more importantly possible discrimination may prevent me from achieving the level of education and possible career options I hope to achieve.

I'm sure that these are things that all transwomen have to deal with though. So right now, I'm sticking to the plan of simple changes and indepth research while doing whatever I can to get money together.

I'm so glad this site exists because I honestly think I would be dead right now if it wasnt for the support from the members here. Thanks everyone.