Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Anonymous Support and Advice

Anonymous Support and Advice You may use this area to post a support and advice topic anonymously, or to provide support to another member anonymously. Anonymous posting is optional for replies.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th May 2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Posting Anonymously

Performance at work

I'm not a happy employee at the moment. Actually for a good while now.
A few minutes ago, I received my scale increment papers with my scores on it, to sign. I signed it but am not happy with the scores I got. If all of it is added up, it's below average, so I won't be getting an increment this year.

I understand that I cannot get a high score for doing nothing all day, but that's not laziness. It's because I don't HAVE work to do. Like, literally, NOTHING! I sit here, day in and day out, doing nothing. It sounds like heaven, but trust me, if you do this day in and day out, for a couple years, the novelty kinda wears off. I've sent my direct supervisor and his supervisor an email explaining that I have no work to do, and that I'm not happy with the low scores.

They clearly don't know that I have no work to do, so I need to enlighten them. I explained that I'm an unhappy employee and emotionally drained because I have zero responsibilities. Looking for another job is not even close to my agenda, because I have good benefits working here, that I don't think I'd get at a different company. I get paid a more than decent salary, have medical aid and a pension fund. And the people I work with is great too. I do admin work, or should I rather say, I am an admin lady with zero work to do. I keep busy browsing EC and other sites till it's time to go home. I have a good male friend whom I sometimes drive around with in the company car, but I'm actually not allowed to do that. I have to find some way to take my mind off the monotonous day in the office, so

I'm not looking for advice, I'm just looking to vent a bit. Thanks for reading if you've made it this far
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 11:38 PM   #2
Posting Anonymously

Re: Performance at work

OP HERE:

Nevermind this rant/vent. My supervisor came to talk to me about the appraisal/scale increment scores and explained to me that he also got a low score from his supervisor. Apparently my score IS high enough for the scale increment, so that's one less thing to worry about, but the no work to do part still bugs me. I sincerely hope we can improve on that at least. Sigh.......my supervisor's supervisor has read his mail too, so let's hope he can find a solution to this problem because I'm bored at work and I think it shows from time to time
Old 19th May 2017, 12:05 AM   #3
EC Addict

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Out to everyone

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 25

I've had a job like this in the past and I feel your frustration, the day goes so slowly and it is mind numbing. I suggest just keep asking for more work until they find something for you to do.
silverhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 12:24 AM   #4
Posting Anonymously

Thanks Silverhalo I guess that's my best bet at this stage. That, or an asylum Seriously though, I'm gonna go off my rocker with boredom if something doesn't get done about it. As you know from experience, it IS mind numbing not having anything to do. Well, here's hoping for the best. Sigh......
Old 19th May 2017, 12:52 AM   #5
EC Addict

1 Highscore

Good luck. The stupid thing is I bet there are lots of things they could give you to do but sometimes I think people become fixated on what they have to do that they don't look sideways to find a better solution. Are there any processes or things that you know of that you think could benefit from changing?
Old 19th May 2017, 01:29 AM   #6
Posting Anonymously

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhalo View Post
Good luck. The stupid thing is I bet there are lots of things they could give you to do but sometimes I think people become fixated on what they have to do that they don't look sideways to find a better solution. Are there any processes or things that you know of that you think could benefit from changing?
You mean like a better position in the company? Yes, there are options but none that I qualify for unfortunately If you mean in terms of responsibilities, I don't think there's that much to do really. My supervisor explained everything to me, and said nothing about me not having any work to do, or them giving me more stuff to do so I don't think anything will change anytime soon. But I will keep at it until they think up something for me to do. At this stage, I'm so bored that I'd even clean the offices just to keep busy. But then I take the work out of someone else's hands and they'd be in the same predicament so I will have to get creative. Or should I rather say, my supervisor(s) need to get creative
Old 19th May 2017, 01:56 AM   #7
Posting Anonymously

You are so right--though having nothing to do (and getting paid for it!) seems like it would be AWESOME...it TOTALLY sucks. After all, you are still stuck in the office, it's not like you're lying on a beach with nothing to do and getting paid! I usually have way too much to do at work which also sucks, but I used to have a job with nothing to do-- and that is worse! The clock does not move. An 8 hour day seems to last 32.

It is odd though that a company in this day and age has the cash to pay people to do nothing! Paying employees, insuring them etc.- it's VERY expensive, most companies are trying to squeeze every last drop of productivity out of everyone. I'm wondering if somehow they are really not aware you have nothing to do. I am not sure how your boss would even be able to evaluate you. But hey, at least you found out you're getting a raise

Silverhalo had great advice, if you see something that needs fixing, improving, set a plan to work on that. Propose it to your boss, show her how you would accomplish it, and how it would benefit the department or company.

One additional comment, we had a guy using the company car for personal use (so much so he was putting a rack on the top to transport his canoe during off work hours!! Unbelievable but true!) Needless to say he was found out, and no longer works there. Not saying that would happen to you, but I know that generally any violations of company car stuff is usually not something businesses overlook.

Best of luck getting busier at work!
Old 19th May 2017, 02:26 AM   #8
EC Addict

1 Highscore

No I didn't necessarily mean a different position just that maybe as you have so much time on your hands you might be able to see something that you do in your job or that someone else does that could be better. Or an additional task that could be beneficial to someone individually or the company as a whole. I don't know exactly what you do but something like making a log of something and doing some simple analysis on the collected data.
Old 19th May 2017, 07:24 PM   #9
EC Addict

Orientation: Questioning

I've had that same situation. Uber boring job with no end in sight. My advice is either to ask to be sent on training if your company does that or to find some tutorials on YouTube and start learning some new skills. Maybe advanced Word or Excel or beginners Photoshop. Something that you use currently that you could be an expert in or something that interests you for this or some other job you might look for in the future.
Really is online now   Reply With Quote