Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Anonymous Support and Advice

Anonymous Support and Advice You may use this area to post a support and advice topic anonymously, or to provide support to another member anonymously. Anonymous posting is optional for replies.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th Apr 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Posting Anonymously

About shaving and body hair :o

So, I don't have a lot of body hair yet, only some but my legs and but area are really hairy. Like, the area around my genitals is really hairy and idk if i should shave it or not :/

Also, I'm starting to grow a beard on my cheeks only, but it is still noticeable and I have to steal my dad's razor every now and then to shave so it doesn't look stupid. I'm embarrassed to ask my parents for a razor and shave cream because I'm young and they might say I don't need it yet because I secretly shave every few days and it's embarrassing ugh. Also, my dad and I have a terrible relationship, I don't want to ask him, please. Thanks for listening to this crap :c
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
The gay gargoyle

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Re: About shaving and body hair :o

Razors and shaving cream aren't that expensive. Can you go buy your own? Also, I wouldn't bother with shaving down the leg and butt area just yet, especially since you'll want a trimmer to do the job correctly.

Lex
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Posting Anonymously

it shouldn't be that hard to buy your own...?
Otherwise, wouldn't just saying that you are shaving your facial hair work?
Also you don't really need to shave all the time :\ but if you really do prefer it then go ahead... I'm just finding that shaving your body hair every few days as a bit excessive for someone young o_O
Old 4th Apr 2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Eternally Male Crazed!

How old are you?

You can easily get a razor and shaving cream at a drug store for around 5 dollars (for the cheap kind).
Old 4th Apr 2011, 05:47 PM   #5

Out Status: All but family

Getting facial hair is nothing to be embarrassed about. Maybe if you just stop shaving for a few weeks then your parents will be the ones to tell you "We need to buy you some shaving supplies." Even if they don't, you can be the one to approach them about it and you'll have proof that you're not too young to need to shave.

And like others have said, if you're just getting facial hair now, then you're probably too young to start worrying about shaving your genital area. When someone other than yourself gets to see your genital area on a regular basis, then you can revisit this issue.
cardenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Posting Anonymously

Most of the guys on the swim shave their legs or arms to help get better time...smooth and faster. A few do more and few have nothing down there. I think it makes them look bigger. I wish I had the nerve to try it. I ask one what it felt like and he told me I would have to try it to know. I just smiled. We were in the showers and you can't really have long talks in there.
Old 25th Oct 2011, 07:05 PM   #7
The Grendel to Everyone's Beowulf

Out Status: 2

It's always good to keep yourself trimmed..or"manscapped"...The little body hair I have I keep trimmed and shaved on a regular basis. Plus, if you work out on a regular basis it gives your body more definition.

Apologies to some of the above, but I have to slightly disagree with getting the cheap crap. Yes you can get a cheap razor and cheap shaving cream...but your skin will curse you FOR DAYS. I once forgot my razor when traveling so I had to get a cheap-o disposable from the front desk of the hotel....I wouldn't get out of the electric chair to use one of those torture devices again.

Good razors are expensive...and the refill cartridges are even more expensive...but they are well worth it and they won't completely eat your skin like the cheap ones will. I use the Gillette Pro-Glide, or whatever it's called. I use that for my face and for doing away with unwanted hair on the chest.

Now...for those other areas. Electric clippers work the best (if i want to go completely smooth I will use a straight razor on these areas). I've got a Wahl electric clipper and it works great. But, the clippers can come later...you just need to focus on getting a good quality straight razor at this point

As for the cost, as I said these are not cheap but worth it....so you may need to try and approach this with your dad. Approach it from the standpoint of "I'm getting to the point where I need to start shaving my face and can you help me pick out a straight razor" type way...maybe that will help him open up the wallet a little.
Good luck!

Last edited by RedState; 25th Oct 2011 at 07:13 PM..
RedState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Posting Anonymously

I used to do the same thing as you.

I didnt have a dad at home to teach me how to shave so I stole my mothers shavers and used them. Its better to tell your parents that you need to start shaving. Its not something to be embarrassed or nervous about. I, also, when I was younger wanted to shave my body hair. I think its natural to want to dispose of it because you are not used to it yet. Leave it at least 6 months from now before you decide to shave any body hair. See how you feel then.
Old 26th Oct 2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I used to do the same thing as you.

I didnt have a dad at home to teach me how to shave so I stole my mothers shavers and used them. Its better to tell your parents that you need to start shaving. Its not something to be embarrassed or nervous about. I, also, when I was younger wanted to shave my body hair. I think its natural to want to dispose of it because you are not used to it yet. Leave it at least 6 months from now before you decide to shave any body hair. See how you feel then.
^Me
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Posting Anonymously

Oy vey iz mir. This sounds way too familiar. This is one of the few things I hold against my dad is that he never taught me how to shave. Don't be embarrassed by your body hair, though I know it is sort of pointless to tell you this. I started getting body hair way before everyone else and I was so embarrassed that I started shaving. My parents never bothered to mention that I should accept my body as it is. I now regret this. I have since grown way to much hair to have any desire to up keep it, and the part that I did shave has grown in with coarser hairs. I would wait. I know it is hard to imagine, but eventually you will become comfortable with your body. It took me a while, but I eventually realized that it was other peoples problem not mine.

As for shaving, if you can't ask you dad, minimally talk to you mom about getting razors. It is really important that you use new clean razors especially when you start to shave and your skin is more sensitive.

There are two different approaches to getting razors. I prefer a decent brand of disposable razor with not too many blades because my hair follicles tend to get infected. Changing the blade every use prevents bacteria from growing on the blades. More blades means a closer shave, but all means more potential irritation or pulling on the blades. It depends on what you need.
Old 27th Oct 2011, 05:50 AM   #11
Fmr EC Health Expert

Men shouldn't share razors. Even if the person is related to you, you shouldn't share razors. It can be a source of skin infections since the razor makes small cuts in your skin.

If their Dads don't show them, most guys don't know exactly what to do for shaving. Unless you've got the Wookiee gene, most guys don't need a fancy razor until they get older and their beard gets thicker and the beard hairs gets stiffer.

At grocery stores or drug stores or even convenience stores/gas stations, you can buy packs of disposable razors. The rule is that the more blades, the better the razor- so don't buy the really cheap ones- get the razors that have 3 blades if possible. Each disposable razor is good for about 2 weeks. If your beard is light, you can stretch it to 3 weeks. You don't want to get in the habit of shaving with a dull razor.

Oh and pay attention on the day you change razors. That's when it is the sharpest and you're more likely to cut yourself on the first day.

A pack of 12 disposable razors will cost you about $5-6 and it should last you for about 6 months.

Your razor shouldn't be left out in the open where it can get soiled or come in contact with bacteria. After you shave, wash the razor well in hot running water and put it away- if possible in a container where it's covered or at least in a medicine cabinet. If you shave other body parts, it's better to use a different razor than you use for your face. Areas like underarms, the groin and the buttocks have a lot bacteria that you don't want on your face.

There's no reason to shave your body. Trim, yes. Clipper, yes. Manscape, yes. Shave, no. Shaving tends to cause rashes and infections and there's nothing worse than getting a shaving rash on your groin- it's really itchy. If you want to trim, use small scissors. About 5 years ago, that ultra-smooth look was popular. If you look at models and actors today, they are keeping more body hair, so it's a little dated to be overly manscaped.

When to shave? The best time is after a bath or shower- after you've been in a hot shower, our skin is nice and clean and your beard will be soft. Dry shaving is miserable- your skin should always be wet. You also don't need fancy shaving creams at first. You can put soap and water on your skin and just shave it off. Or if you have a tendency toward dry skin, you can shave with a lotion. If you like shaving with shaving cream, you can borrow shaving cream from your Dad- it's sanitary as long as it is the kind in a can.

After you shave, wash off any left over shaving cream or soap. If you used lotion, you can just wipe off the excess lotion with a towel.

Last edited by KaraBulut; 27th Oct 2011 at 05:54 AM..
KaraBulut is offline   Reply With Quote