1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC's consensus on meeting rare cases of sexual orientations and romantic orientation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Jul 4, 2013.

?

Have you met any of these rare cases in the outside interactive world?

1. I have met more than one cases of extreme fluid sexual orientation

5.0%
  2. I have met only one case of extreme fluid sexual orientation

15.0%
  3. I am suspicious that there may be more than one case of fluid sexual orientation

10.0%
  4. I am suspicious that there is only one case of extreme fluid sexual orientation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have not met any case of extreme fluid sexual orientation

55.0%
  6. I have met more than one cases of highly conflicting sexual and romantic orientation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have met only one case of highly conflicting sexual and romantic orientation

10.0%
  8. Suspicious of more than one case of highly conflicting sexual and romantic orientation

10.0%
  9. Suspicious of one case of highly conflicting sexual and romantic orientation

15.0%
  10. I have not met any cases of highly conflicting sexual and romantic orientation

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reptillian

Here's a thread to describe your experience or thoughts on extremely rare cases of sexual orientation & romantic orientation.

The two rare cases will be

• Extremely fluid sexual orientation : Slow, but extreme changes of sexual orientation over long period of times which is fixated after the changes period
    • Highly conflicting romantic & sexual orientation: When one affectional orientation does not even align well with sexual orientation one bit such as a heteroromantic homosexual & homoromantic heterosexual

#1 Reptillian, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. BudderMC

Re: EC's consensus on meeting rare cases of sexual orientations and romantic orientat

As far as I'm concerned, it's not my place to tell anyone that what they're feeling doesn't exist.

Have I met any cases? No, besides the supposed ones I've heard on EC.

3. MerBear

Re: EC's consensus on meeting rare cases of sexual orientations and romantic orientat

Im confused.....what are you asking? im not very bright

4. Amerigo

^ i didn't want to be the first to ask

5. biggayguy

I'm only speaking for me. I'm definitely bisexual but sometimes I'm more attracted to men and sometimes more attracted to women. It's not extreme. It just is.

6. Reptillian

I'm asking if you have experienced or suspected anything of resemblance to those two cases. I'm going to give example.

The fluid sexual orientation case example - A man who's 25 years old and has been a heterosexual for that long, but in 5 years, this man has turned into a homosexual without a will of his own and he is certain that he's not confused. The only way to explain it in his mind is that his sexual orientation must have changed on it own and there's no mental wills to change, it just happened.

Highly conflicting romantic orientation & sexual orientation case example - A girl named Susan is interested into exclusively heterosexual activity because she is sexually attracted to men, but Susan is exclusively emotionally attracted with no hint of sexual attraction to women as if she dates them without even having sex with women.

#6 Reptillian, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I defiantly have conflicting romantic and sexual feelings, and I have a friend and she's the same (primarily romantically attracted to the opposite sex, sexually attracted to the same sex)

8. BudderMC

I would however argue that romantic attraction isn't typically based off of physical characteristics, and consequently the gender of the person you're romantically attracted to isn't that important.

If romantic attraction is based off of personality traits, interests, and general overall "chemistry" between you and them, you could theoretically find that in any gender. It's possible that certain traits you're typically attracted to are typically correlated with a certain gender, but I don't think it's as "rigid" as a homosexual person being physically attracted to the same sex (no pun intended).

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm living proof. I went from completely straight to bisexual to completely gay in like 5 years.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Can only second this. Never met anyone outside EC.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

While I realize you're saying it's the only explanation in his mind but it's important to realize that it is, objectively, far from the only explanation, and frankly, I don't ever remember seeing any evidence of what you describe in the psych or sexology literature.

On the other hand, there is plenty of support in the literature for people who lived a normal heterosexual life up to their 20s, 30s, and even beyond, and one day realized that this wasn't really who were. In fact, when you interview these people, you often find them reporting, in retrospect, that even when they were having "fulfilling" relationships with opposite-sex partners, the quality and sexual experience of those relationships paled to the same-sex ones. It is entirely possible -- and not that uncommon -- for someone to be utterly clueless, and/or in intensive denial, and to have several hetero relationships with no inkling of being gay, and to later have some triggering event/experience/dream/whatever that opens up a new understanding.

People certainly claim this, but there's very litttle support I'm aware of for it in the psych or sexology literature. However, there have definitely been clinical reports and presentations and roundtable discussions at human sexuality conferences about these sorts of cases. There's quite a bit of controversy on the topic, with most professionals I'm aware of believing (and finding, through their clinical work) that most, if not all, of the time, these are unresolved issues involving internalized homophobia and/or self-esteem and self-acceptance issues.

We have to be cautious when discussing this sort of thing that on the one hand, we not devalue the experience someone is having, but at the same time, also be open to the idea that many individuals experiencing these sorts of situations may simply be having a problem adjusting and accepting who they are, in which case perpetuating the notion of a status that rarely, if ever, occurs may severely retard their path toward self-acceptance and positive self-esteem.

12. Hexagon

Never met anyone, but it isn't my place to start telling people that their experiences are false or their orientations don't exist.