1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign Language Accents Thread (with voice files)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jul 5, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

We had a great success with the http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/99610-accents-thread-voice-files.html thread and I think it's time we do one for foreign languages (I know the term is relative to where you live, but basically, any language that's not English.) You can record your message here ####### | Online voice recorder.

I suggest you type in English what language(s) you'll be speaking, what you said, how proficient you are, etc. PLEASE: Don't judge someone on their proficiency, only nice comments. Remember that some of us only learned the language as a second (or third tongue) and may have weird accents (which is relative). Only positive comments unless the poster asks for constructive criticism, and even then, please be courteous.

Can't wait to hear from others

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2013 at 03:11 AM ----------

Here's mine. I am very proficient in Spanish (same level as my English). In this clip, I speak mostly in Spanish and say that I learned it at a young age, I can't roll my R's, I speak it in a weird voice or accent, and I am afraid people might think I'm gay based on the fact that my Spanish might sound a bit feminine. I also tell y'all, in French, that I am not really good at it (which I know at an elementary/intermediate) level. (If anyone knows Spanish fluently and can help me get rid of my pronunciation problems, feedback your feedback is encouraged).

####### | Voice message

Can't wait to hear from others

2. timo

I haven't even posted an English voice clip yet... :grin:

3. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What do you need to record? :slight_smile:

4. AlamoCity

Record yourself speaking a language other than English so we may all listen to your voice :slight_smile:. You can say whatever you want.

5. Dani3l

Can't really comment on your french but, as a portuguese person, I can say you sound just like our neighbours! And no, I can't tell you're gay from what I heard, not at all. Even if I did, don't be afraid of it.

6. Hexagon

You speak spanish very well. I can't be bothered to do one of my own right now, perhaps later. Accent-wise, you sound to me, very slightly south american, but much less than most people from south america I met in spain. You don't sound gay at all.

As for your r's, I don't really know how to help. I've just been able to do it without difficulty.

7. AlamoCity

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Spanish is getting rusty, but we'll give it the old college try.

####### | Voice message

Hi, it's AwesomGaytheist, I speak some Spanish. I learned most of it when I was a kid in school, and I've lost some of it because I don't use it much.

I don't sound as good as I used to, and I had to think of the correct conjugations and translations as I went along. So no, I don't sound as fluent as I did four years ago.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a little sample of French from Antoine De Saint-Exupéry`s The Little Prince

####### | Voice message

“’Farewell’ he said. ‘Goodbye’, said the fox. ‘Here is my secret. It is very simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes.

‘It’s the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.’

‘Men have forgotten this truth’, said the fox. ‘But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose…’

10. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

####### | Voice message

Here's one in Swedish. I'm sure my accent and pronunciation are horrible.

####### | Voice message

And in Spanish. Had to record that like 10 times because I kept using Swedish prepositions. I apologize in advance for my horrible accent and the microphone quality.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your Spanish is definitely different from what I would have heard in Mexico, but it's good! My ear is not tuned enough, I guess, to detect any effeminate characteristics in it...nor is my Spanish good enough to tell you how to speak it better (personally I think it's fine the way it is)!

12. Candace

I wouldn't be able to tell that you're Quebecois based on that sample ahahaha.

It's great. :eusa_clap

13. Ticklish Fish

I know chinese but i havent "speak" in Latin ever since high school latin class was done lol

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! Believe me, if I had wanted to, I could apply the full "joual" to those words, but in Québec there's the vernacular Québécois French accent and there is this "international" non-descript French that I used here and that is spoken in the media, mostly on television newscasts (less so these days)...it's a bit schizophrenic but that's how it is...

15. Candace

Trust me, I do the same thing :wink:

16. Diego89

Your spanish is absolutely fantastic, sure you got an accent and there's the problem with the "R's", but other than that it's great. Very very impressive!