1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterophobia...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clarkec1, Jul 5, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Do you think that it might exist?

In case you don't know what I'm saying, could it happen that someone has a disliking for heterosexuals - not homosexuals?

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think someone whos is heterophobic would struggle to live in a world which consists mostly of hetrosexual people

3. Fiddledeedee

There are some people who claim a disliking of heterosexuals (and often especially straight allies, which is just weird), who belittle, stereotype, and avoid them, and who find slurs for them. It's not nice. I'm not sure whether these people are trolling or not.

4. Hexagon

It happens. People can get frustrated and angry at homophobia/biphobia directed at them by people who are heterosexual, or at an abuse of heterosexual privilege. It isn't justified, though. Heterosexuality, like homosexuality, is just an orientation, and it doesn't make anyone good or bad.

5. Grrrr331

I guess that means 'hating the heterosexuals that hate the homosexuals- homophobics-'
    LOL :3

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i can see why people would be heterophobes
    i dont blame them for it

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prejudice against heteros seems natural for somebody who is the target of lots of harassment. They might appear to be much more ruthless and smug in their orientation than other gay people, who tend to be more sensitive.

Not saying that I'm heterophobic, but I think I understand how it can develop.

8. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    also it doesnt harm anyone so why even bother caring

9. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heterophobia is as bad as homophobia. No one should have to be antagonised for their sexual orientation. The same goes for cisphobia.

10. LiquidSwords

Pretty sure this exists as a concept only? I've certainly never seen it in real life, just as a phantom that homophobes whine about.

Don't know how anybody could get through life as a heterophobe really, would mean I'd have to cut 99% of the people I know out my life including my family :confused: Yeah, doesn't sound likely but if someone actually has real life experience of this then feel free to set me straight.

11. Hexagon

I've seen it before. Even on this site, to some extent. And I think it would take a different form to homophobia - less blatant, for one. Of course it would be very difficult to cut all heterosexuals out of your life. But you could judge heterosexuals more negatively, require them to achieve better things before you gave them credit. You could make anti-heterosexual jokes and comments. Much in the same way a lot of sexism takes place today.

DISCLAIMER: I use you in a general sense, not to imply you share these sentiments.

12. justjade

^^This.

13. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no doubt in my mind that heterophobia exists, it's just not as common as homophobia and when it does happen it almost always goes unnoticed, even by heterosexuals who may be experiencing it.

I remember one time a while back, my friend who's a lesbian posted on facebook that a certain guy was "so hot but no hetero!" and I remember reading that and thinking "if that were a straight guy saying 'he's so hot but no homo!' things would not have gone down well..." This is a least-of-evils type thing, I don't think my friend meant any harm in posting that, and I highly doubt anyone was hurt or offended by what she said (in fact, all of my straight friends found it amusing, in a good way), but it is kind of a double standard.

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Heterophobia doesn't exist, and even if it did...NO, it is not "as bad as homophobia".

Non-hetero people are in no position of power to discriminate against and harm the lives of heterosexuals, any more than black people are in a position to force racist discrimination against whites.

15. Hexagon

It does exist. Heterophobia can be defined as a fear, hatred or dislike of heterosexuals. And it happens frequently. I'm not saying it has the same destructive effect as homophobia - as you say, heterosexuals are privileged. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In the same way, a hatred of men in some areas of feminism is still sexism, even if it isn't as serious.

16. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah this

and like, if you really wanna combat 'heterophobia', fight the oppressive heterosexism that causes people to feel that way

17. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whilst it is very rare, it is still the idea of discriminating someone because of their sexual orientation. Just because it isn't as destructive doesn't make the idea any less wrong. For example, there are varying levels of homophobia. Some kid gets called names, some kid gets pushed around and some kid gets killed. They're all vastly different levels of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. At an LGBT meeting in my city, we had a straight ally there for a while. He eventually left because one guy said to him "You don't know a fucking thing about us you hetero bastard!" That is a form of heterophobia and whilst it isn't as bad as some forms of homophobia it is worse than some forms of homophobia.

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yes, this so-called "heterophobia" is defensive in nature; queer people are entitled to have a rational fear of what heterosexuals will do to us, considering what they have been doing to us for millenia.

Obviously it doesn't apply to all heterosexuals, especially as Abrahamic religion fades and LGBTQ people are increasingly accepted.

But to say "heterophobia" and homophobia are equally bad is like saying that Germanophobia among Jews in Nazi Germany was equally as bad as German anti-Semitism. Or black people in the old Southern U.S. fearing white people being equally as bad as white racism against them.

Both groups might have feared the other, but obviously only one side was in a position of power to make it condemnable, whereas the other side had a rational justification for their fear.

19. MerBear

I think the whole Homophobia, transphobia and just the LGBT phobia is absolutely stupid.
    same thing with this heterophobia

I've noticed a lot of LGBT people like to constantly pass along the 'phobia' thing and honestly, its getting annoying.

Now, i just know someone is going to hate me for it but i'm tired of holding back

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, it exists I guess. And it's adorable. As if we have the power. I mean, really.