1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police Brutality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jul 5, 2013.

?

Do you think there is police brutality>

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. MerBear

Do you think there is police brutality in the US?
    stupid question but some believe there is none at all

what's your take on this. I think there is too much of it. They are now arresting people for filming them

2. Minx

There has always been police brutality, some people let power corrupt/twist them.

It doesn't seem as rampant now as it was in the 90's - early 2000.

At least from my perspective.

3. Who knows

Who knows Guest

I do think there is police brutality in the US and to some extent, most countries do have police brutality.

A handful of the police force abuse their authority and it is quite shocking to see such things happening in this day and age.

Although this study is not focused on police brutality it does highlight the problems positions of authority can cause and it can be argued that it is somewhat similar to how the police abuse their powers.

I'm sorry if you do not like wikipedia but I just wanted to quickly highlight my point.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No question there is police brutality. With extra training along with increased filming of police on duty, I think it's on the downslope, but there's still significant abuse of power. Cops will make up reasons to arrest people if they're being even a little bit contentious, despite being justified when they are hassled by authorities over nothing.

For one, filming the police is an absolute necessity. They are public servants first, and if they act in a decent fashion, they have no reason to believe being on tape would hurt them. Another method of curtailing it is in-depth interviews before hiring. I got one recently at the police academy, and they make extra-sure you're not a bully before even accepting you for training.

I bet half the reason people hate cops is because they abuse their power. I'd see the day where it never happens, and I hope to be a part of the solution by joining up.

5. MerBear

i'm in police program for teens.....Yay....i want to ask them what they think about it but They probably wouldn't let me get a word in or i would be disrespecting them -_-

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah there is. Just go to YouTube and search "Don't Tase Me Bro."

This guy had done nothing wrong, other than say the word "Blowjob" and the police do this to him (Starts about 1:50):

[YOUTUBE]SaiWCS10C5s[/YOUTUBE]

7. MerBear

Assholes

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason cops hate video cameras is because that's what holds them accountable. This video got Baltimore officer Salvatore "Dude" Rivieri fired:

[YOUTUBE]9GgWrV8TcUc[/YOUTUBE]

This guy is on such a power trip and god forbid I got pulled over by that guy. I have videotaped police before and it has led to disciplinary action. There was a really long traffic jam that I was stuck in last year, and I saw a cop throwing a temper tantrum and berating someone he'd pulled over at a gas station. I sent the video to the police department and described what happened, and the police chief called me the very next day to take my statement, and later informed me the officer in question was suspended for a week without pay.

The chief actually thanked me and said, "You did the officer a favor. If you hadn't spoken up, he might have done that to the wrong person and ended up dead."

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2013 at 02:15 AM ----------

And anybody out there, no matter what, NEEDS to watch this video, ESPECIALLY if you're Black. Take a half hour to help keep your record clean and the cops out of your car, home, and belongings.

[YOUTUBE]s4nQ_mFJV4I[/YOUTUBE]

#8 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  9. MerBear

See,This makes me have more of a reason not to want to be in this program.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't be a cop because I'm not that big an asshole. The other day, I almost got pulled over, and I'm so glad there was an exit nearby. I was going 82 in a 70, and when I saw the cop and locked 'em up, I was still going 75 when I saw him. I looked over my shoulder as I passed and he was talking into his radio. Thankfully, I just got off the Interstate and took the back way home, otherwise there would have been a pig waiting to pull me over. Here in Michigan, that's a $120 fine and 2 points on your license.

11. MerBear

see, i dont want to be a cop but my dad put me in that "police" program because i told him, i might want to be a cop and Now im stuck ...with having to do scenarios arresting people and yelling. SOMETHING I'm not even fit for

12. Amerigo

there is some, but police in america are obedient, even hospitable servants when compared to the forces of foreign societies. as per usual, people will always complain.

13. MerBear

thanks for the video!

14. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I happen to think that people want to become police people because they have a kinda violent streak. There is somekind of drive to be bossy too.
    In uniform they feel like they have a licence to be violent.
    On top of that, I think a lot of them are kinda cowards too, really. They do best in groups.

But I´m sure there are also very nice police people, but you don´t see those portraited in the media.
    Media might pull things out of proportion.

15. MerBear

yeah, i agree. i am not forceful or violent. I dont fit in but yet ,my dad wants me to stay

16. Harve

It always freaks me out, and others too, since they've actually been there, how American police carry guns. Surely that would make them pretty damn unapproachable/intimidating to the public? I suppose if you're used to it then you think nothing of it. And if anything, the UK except Northern Ireland is probably the exception here, not the US.

Not brutality or an abuse of powers by any means, which I can't comment on, but strange for me all the same.

17. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Definitely.. I'm black and gay, and I really can NOT stand most cops that ive seen. It could be the whole racial profiling thing, except I have a major case of "innocent-bright-eyed-child" face most of the time, + im obviously gay to a ton of people. In that case, Im more afraid that ill be judged for being obviously gay than being black, because I don't really look gangster, or anything related :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I once got in trouble for "Breaking and Entering" despite it being my friends house... he left the door unlocked for me and his neighbor called the cops.. I was like 9 haha!

So yeah.. Idk the kind of mentality it takes to become a cop, but from what I see its not always a good one. Too much room for abuse of power. That being said, more power to all the righteous cops out there who know when to use their power and when not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Too much personal opinion is required in the job imo, and it allows for serious errors >.>

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most policemen/women and cops are straight-up and good guys. Some however, once they get that badge on their shirt they walk around and think they're God, and their :***: doesn't stink, and they can do no wrong. I think there is a scary amount of police brutality, but I think the problem is getting better.

19. MerBear

not where i live :dry:

20. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Now I have a question after watching that video. In the first example with the black kid and his "attitude" (which wasn't that bad btw , and i loll'd when the cop said "Bro!" haha!)

Do you guys think cops deserve to have that "all-mighty" presence that implies you do not get a say? I think its one thing to be civil, but for me, I would only be as civil to a cop as I would be to any other person. Is part of the job description that they DEMAND more respect than normal? I can certainly reason they shouldn't be given less, but more seems to push it to me.

I think that I would be compliant with a cop, but its a bit illogical of them to EXPECT respect because of their perceived abusiveness and brutality issues. Its more reasonable for them to expect a bit of disrespect to a certain degree, and only punish on excessive. Lets say you pull some one over on the way to the hospital for a dying relative. Yes, you were in the wrong for speeding, and you might make an under-your-breath comment about being pulled over. Thats better than saying "Fuck you man! I have to be places". If I were a cop, I think i would understand, and not take every reason in my personal day's issues to make an example out of people, which IMO happens way too much. After saying all of this, I still think keeping your calm is the ideal, which I myself am sure I am capable of, but I can't speak for other people. Its hella stressful to be pulled over I imagine, and to some people, they claim that police act more disrespectful and rude than the people being pulled over. I can sympathize with that. Yes they are doing their jobs and Potentially keeping people safe, or literally doing so sometimes. Does it require brutality at all? Not necessarily. There are ways to say "I'm in charge" without throwing someone to the ground and handcuffing them simply because they made an off hand comment about needing to get somewhere, or something. Keep in mind insults and verbal attacks are different.

I guess scrutiny should be more readily used by cops, given that they already personally judge. Idk, what do you guys think?

What do you guys think? Am I crazy xD?

#20 PrinceOfAvalon, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013