1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a Man Pass?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Jul 6, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Biggest challenge to passing? My voice. Blessed with a voice that constantly gets me carded for my ten year old sister over the phone. :icon_redf

I've been doing a bit of voice training but not confident I can sound masculine enough for my liking. So this is where I need y'all. Listen in, if you will, and let me know what you think. Do I pass well enough? And if I fail utterly, what can I do to improve it?

Typical 'femme' voice, just for reference.

Me attempting to sound masculine/pass.

Do I pass? Fail horribly? Up to y'all to decide. Thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

2. 461 467

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but I would rather be honest with you. You don't pass well at all in the sound clip. Both soundclips are immediately recognizable as female voices; one is simply lower in pitch. But the masculine clip is definitely a step closer to your goal. It does sound reasonably natural, for what it is.

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't fail horribly. But you do still sound a little strained.

I've been cursed with a Minnie Mouse voice as well. Unfortunately, I don't think I can really pass consistently without hormones, and you're probably in the same boat - there's only so much a body can do on its own. Just keep training. I'm sure you'll get impressive results. :slight_smile:

#3 clockworkfox, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

You wouldn't pass voice-wise, rather your masculine attempt currently sounds like my natural voice which is conspicuously female, though deep.

I know there's a technique out there to speak from your chest rather than your throat, but I don't know how to describe it. There's a few videos on youtube explaining it.

Albeit close, though.. if the pitch were fairly lower, you would sound male, but young at best. Shame voices can instantly give us away like that.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Figured I wasn't anywhere close to passing with either, but glad the masculine voice doesn't seem too unnatural, since that was a concern. Any ideas on getting it to sound a bit more masculine? Is it the pitch or more to do with the tone?

If it doesn't work out, I do fully plan on faking selective mutism until I get on hormones. :wink:

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2013 at 12:56 AM ----------

Yeah, passing for me (even taking the voice out of the equation) tends to be hit or miss. So I doubt without T that I'll ever convincingly pass anywhere, but alas, I can try. :wink:

If you've got a link to one of those vids, wouldn't mind having a look. Because I've been trying to work on speaking from my chest but can't quite figure out the right way to go about it.

Young I can work with. Already get mistaken for a fourteen year old girl, I can work with looking/sounding like a thirteen year old guy, so livable. Pitch is the biggest issue then, and can probably work on that.