1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Colleges and Atheists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by catoptriclenses, Jul 6, 2013.

1. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now I am looking at colleges and I am wondering if anyone out there has gone to a private religious college yet are not religious. For example, I have been looking at Baylor. I definitely do not want to nock a school just for it's religious beliefs but honestly I am scared that I would face a lot of bigotry and close mindedness especially because I am in the south. Now I am definitely not trying to say that everyone religious is close minded because I know for a fact that it isn't true, but I have faced a lot of that and fear it happening when I go to school and can't help but consider it. Does anyone here have experience going to a school whose core religious beliefs clashed with yours?

2. Incognito10

I have not attended a religious college; however, keep in mind that the schools mission statement is going to be reflected in the classroom and by the instructors. I go to a "liberal" school and I kind of enjoy the diversity that is embraced there. Personally, I would be apprehensive about attending a school where it is likely that bigotry is going to be at higher levels than a non-religious school.

3. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On further inspection of the school, religious courses and church attendance are required. I've always been forced to attend church and I don't know if I would be able to handle that.

Even so, I was reading some student reviews of the school and while several of them said it was ideal for Christians, a few also talked about how the teachers have them think outside the box and do not try to force beliefs on you which seems like a perk in that setting. Having them think outside the box to me seems like they might try to help the students have more open minded thought processes.

4. biggayguy

I went to a Christian school for five years deep in the closet. A college may be different. The local catholic college has a GSA. There seems to be a variety of levels of acceptance among the faculty. At one point I had considered attending Oral Roberts University. The campus was not as wheelchair accessible as they claimed. After my visit to the campus I learned of a group of lgbt alumni that called themselves ORU-OUT. So even at a fundie college there are gay students. Roberts had a son that was gay. He killed himself. He also has a grandson that is gay.

5. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Depends on the college. I was given a choice by my family to choose between three Christian private colleges. I visited one whichh required chapel attendence. The Christians said the non-Christians can be put off by the amount of Christians there. All the professors are required to be Christian. I overheard a conversation at the cafe about how they could convert their non-Christian friends and that was the last straw for me. They did have a LGBTQ club, though.

One of them was known to be conservative. They didn't have a LGBTQ club,and refused to comment on the matter. I didn't bother to visit.

The one I'm going to is liberal. I asked some non-Christians when I visited how they felt and they said they weren't pressured. The only required Christian component is taking one class about a Christian topic. There are many Christians here but I have met a lot of atheists, and liberal Christians. There are social justice events at my school from time to time, even a dorm themed social activism. But the ethnic diversity is still low.