1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LinkLarkin, Jul 6, 2013.

?

How would you describe your diet?

1. Meat eater

52 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Meat reducer (no red meat)

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Pescetarian (no meat)

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Vegetarian (no meat or fish)

18 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. Vegan

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Fruitarian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LinkLarkin

Hey all,

I'm just interested to see how people's diets go around here in terms of meat. I've personally been vegetarian for about 7.5 years, and though I don't mind gay jokes or vegetarian jokes (as long as they're coming from the right people), anybody who suggests that I'm vegetarian because I'm gay (or vice versa) will face my wrath.

For everybody who does have a purposefully reduced diet, how long ago did you make the decision?

2. AlamoCity

I have meat twice a day for lunch and dinner. Breakfast, if I have any, is usually meat-less. But I do eat a lot of meat, perhaps because I am an American. I was raised eating a lot of red meat, poultry, and fish. I'll probably try to eat healthier in a few years, though, because it's not that healthy.

What I have considered is that if I were to ever date a vegan or vegetarian, we'd have to make some serious compromises. If they are against hunting and fishing, it'd be darn near impossible to make it work. I'm all for "ethically" sourced meats, but I am a meat-eater nonetheless.

#2 AlamoCity, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. Hexagon

I'm a vegetarian. You might say I lean vegan. I've been trying to go vegan, but haven't been very successful. I eat no meat or fish of any kind, or any carcass derived products (like gelatin, or cochineal). In my efforts to reduce my impact on animals in other ways, I consume only free range eggs, and I have stopped drinking animal milks, in favour of soya, almond and hemp. I still eat cheese, unfortunately. I think I might be addicted :frowning2:

I became vegetarian 317 days, 49 minutes ago. In that time, I consumed chicken-filled gravy given to me by my mother once, after verifying it was not meat. (was not pleased). I have also eaten marshmallows twice, once without realising, and once in something made for me by a cousin. I did send instructions not to do it again though.

I do it for ethical reasons primarily: Humans are capable of moral thought and reasoning, and thus are responsible for avoiding causing suffering to sentient beings. We do not need animals to survive, we are in fact better off not eating them for reasons of health, and the animal farming industry is responsible for a good portion of the damage to our atmosphere. I believe in the right of humans to control their own lives, to determine their selves and their identities. I don't know exactly how much a non-human animal is able to comprehend, but I do know they feel pain, and thats enough for me.

Though it wasn't my primary goal, I've also become more healthy. I haven't been sick since I became veggie, and I have lost weight. I've also generally felt as if my body works better, but I couldn't really make a more specific claim on that front.

I actually found it surprisingly easy, which for someone who absolutely loved meat, was surprising. My family and friends were extremely surprised, and refused to believe I was being serious for a long time. Within a few days, though, I'd stopped wanting any meat, and have never really felt like eating it since.

I made a decision to become vegan by the end of 2013, and I intend to honor that.

#3 Hexagon, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. ashlei

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been a vegetarian for 2.5 years, and a vegan for 1.5 years. Only for ethical reasons. My diet isn't really good by any means :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. LinkLarkin

I know there are other more specific diets as well so feel free to post them if I've not been specific enough! To be precise, I am an ovolactovegetarian.

Yes, I stay far away from animal by-products as well. Many a time I've offended people by consistently refusing the Haribo they offer me instead of giving a long winded explanation of why I don't eat it. I also have to check whether cheese and alcohol are vegetarian or not beforehand, it's surprising how many aren't. Like you though, I only eat free range eggs, and I eat margarine/olive oil spread instead of butter.

I also steadfastly refuse to wear leather, including shoes - I think this is more commonly associated with veganism, but if I don't want to eat animals then I certainly shouldn't want to wear them.

Also, if anybody has any reasons for being vegetarian other than animal cruelty then please post them!

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went with "vegetarian" although that is not 100% engraved on my dinner plate. That is just my day to day habit these days, and I can go months without going near meat.

My reasons are partly ethical--I don't want to support factory farms. Partly financial--meat is not cheap, particularly when sourced with any degree of ethics. (Admittedly for some there is no such thing as ethical meat, but to me there is a difference between a small, local, ethically minded farmer vs. Big Agriculture.) Also preparation is a huge pain sometimes, particularly dealing with germ/bacteria issues. Finally, I really don't have much taste for meat.

How long has this lasted? A good chunk of my life, actually, one way or another. The current phase is relatively recent, getting a start in the late 90s (although less restrictive then). But growing up it was not uncommon to have vegetarian meals a few times a week.

7. Sarcastic Luck

I eat meat, I practice taxidermy, and have a massive fascination with skulls. My body absolutely hates vegetarian diets and it just serves to make me ill.

8. jp97

I prefer to eat very little meat and prefer fish and vegetables so i'm a pescetarian which can be difficult sometimes since my whole family is basically carnivores.

9. Hexagon

Properly, a vegetarian diet should not include any carcass derived products, so you can just tell them gelatin made out of ground up cow bones. (PS, did you know british skittles have crushed insect in them? american ones don't.)

My main problem, other than cheese addictions, is Quorn. Damn quorn.

Yeah, I buy vegan margarine. I haven't had much of a problem with cheese. All my favourite cheeses are veggie, other than parmesan, but I found a sainsburys own brand replacement for that.

I don't think veganism should be associated with not wearing leather. After all, leather is carcass derived, so refusing to wear it should be a stance shared by all vegetarians. I don't wear any animal products. I know I could technically wear wool, but since I'd like to be vegan anyway, I see no reason to cause more harm than necessary.

10. LinkLarkin

I fully agree, and with close friends and family I tend to make very graphic comments about why I don't eat gelatin etc., but I feel a bit more awkward doing that with acquaintances! :bang:

Yeah, I love Quorn so much <3 I know vegetarians with a real vendetta against meat substitutes as well "If you're a vegetarian you're not allowed to like the taste of meat", but I don't see any harm done.

Parmesan was the only one I had trouble with in Britain really, it's more when you go abroad and they have a different selection of cheeses and they're really bad at labelling which ones are and aren't vegetarian... it gets a bit tricky.

I think some people just don't even think about what vegetarianism means outside of their diet, and never stop to think that they're walking around on dead cows. I find it disgusting though.

Ironically enough, I found it extremely easy to "come out" to my parents as vegetarian, in a way that I think many young veggies struggle with. I only wish telling them everything was that easy.

11. AlamoCity

AHHHH. The meat-eaters are barely in the majority. Everyone else is going against millions of years of evolutionary biology. They are going against nature. It's in the Bible, "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything" (Genesis 9:3).

(If you don't see the irony and sarcasm, don't bother :slight_smile:)

12. Hexagon

I don't just walk up to people and tell them about the terrible-ness of gelatin. But if anyone offers me a haribo or other gelatinous sweet, I say "sorry, no, I'm a vegetarian", and if they ask whats wrong with the sweet, they've bloody well asked to feel sick every time they think about their beloved haribos.

No, I don't see the harm either. Its not like they're eating animals. I just wish they didn't put egg in it. It would be so much easier to go vegan that way. I was thinking maybe I'd try going vegan minus quorn for a while.

Ah, yeah, I haven't been abroad recently. I can imagine that might be difficult.

Lol, my parents didn't take it well. My dad refused to cook anything, and my mother spent five months trying to force feed me fish. When that failed, she tried to make me take fish-derived omega 3 supplements.

Good luck with the rest of the coming out...

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to not eat red meats, but sometimes on occasions I eat some.
    For the most part I only eat chicken and some fish, meat wise.

14. Sarcastic Luck

..I think that if someone tried doing that to me, I'd end up laughing at them. Attempting to gross me out about food doesn't work. Then again, when I was in zoology, I'd make cracks about wanting to eat spaghetti after dissecting the round worms.

Ah. Good times.

But I'm just going to sit here and be the evil person since I raise meat goats.

15. Hexagon

Well, I don't think much of the obviously sarcastic biblical reference, but in response to the evolution thing:

1. What gives you the idea that meat is what evolution 'intended'? (The very idea of evolution intending anything is rather silly. Evolution doesn't have a consciousness.) Do you think that because an animal eats meat, that makes them omnivorous or carnivorous? Cause my cat's biscuits are mostly plant matter, but she ain't no herbivore. Our digestive systems are ill-designed to digest meat. In fact, some gets left inside and starts rotting. The intestines of carnivores and true omnivores are much shorter.

2. Fuck nature. Nature isn't a guide to morality.

16. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went vegetarian more than 15 years ago, first just slowly cutting down on meat consumption as a healthier (and cheaper) pathway, then moving toward a personal ethical choice to not consume animal products. I feel healthy, feel good about my personal choices, really love exploring all the veggie food options I have, and don't miss eating the things I once did long ago.

17. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have been a vegetarian since I was 5. No joke, just one day I didn't want to eat meat/fish anymore. I think it's cause I watched Animal Planet religiously. :grin:

18. Sarcastic Luck

If we were designed to eat a purely plant based diet, we'd have a multi-chambered stomach like ruminants, we'd also have specific gut bacteria designed to breakdown plant fiber. Ruminants will actually die if they don't have that bacteria. Why? By themselves, ruminants aren't capable of digesting the plat fiber and rely on the bacteria to do so, then the ruminants use the waste provided by the bacteria to survive. This is why if you have a cow or goat who's stomach pH gets too high/too low, they risk dying due to the bacteria dying.

Certainly, there's herbivores that have neither of these, such as horses. However, horses also must constantly eat in order to get the same amount of nutrition that ruminants get. That's part of the reason why it's common for them to get getting supplemented with grains/pelleted food. If you compare the feces between a horse and a cow, the cow is going to have efficiently digested the food compared to the horse which is going to have remains of it left over.

/random science fact for the day.

19. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like eating meat because I love animals, so I'm trying really hard to go on a vegetarian diet, but I think it's perfectly fine for people to eat meat if they want. It's just not something I want to do...

20. LinkLarkin

We may not have been "designed" to eat a plant based diet, but that doesn't mean that countless studies haven't shown that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters. (Pescetarians live the longest, just to show that I'm not being overly preachy.) It's the way to go, from an evolutionary point of view, even if it wasn't nature's intention.