1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does everyone want to live in England?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Just seeing a number of responses with people wanting to move to England.

What is so great about it?

2. srslywtf

I think to me, from australia, what's great about a place like england is

A) things are focused on the younger generations more. Australia (at least my part) is basically a giant retirement village. Everything planned/developed/funded is focused on retirement age people. There aren't enough young people to get their voice heard.

B) population density. More cool things happen because you have more people in the same space. Here things are so spread out, it makes it difficult to organise largescale events, meet likeminded people who live nearby, etc. Australia is like the size of the US but only has 20million people in it. This translates through to more vibrant music scenes, etc etc in england.

#2 srslywtf, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it would have to be the scenery and history. Everywhere has beautiful terrain, but Florida is FLAT as the top of this "T". England has rolling hills, forests, rocky moors, and beaches all in about an equivalent land area as where I live. I'd prefer to live somewhere nice than a mosquito and gator-infested retirement community.

Not only that, but with the exception of St. Augustine, the oldest established settlements here only date back about 150 years at most. I am nigh-obsessed with medieval history, and getting to see even the most destroyed castle ruins and unrecognizable battle sites would be a magnificent experience for me. I'm basically in a state of assuming all great history happened elsewhere, and it would be nice to share a piece of ground with the likes of Charles Dickens, William of Normandy, and King Arthur.*

Not that I really want to pick up and MOVE to England, but it does seem to be an appealing place to visit, at least. **I know Arthur probably wasn't a single person so much as an amalgamation of legends, but the stories put him on the island so there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#3 Argentwing, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    IMO, because America is slowly going downhill. And England is kinda. sorta like America, I guess. I really don't know..

5. Candace

St. Augustine was founded in 1565, so that's 448 years, not 150 :wink:

I can see England since for most people, we speak the same damn language (no language barrier), health care, no extreme weather, and to me personally....I've felt that England has more culture going on with it. Since I'm from New York, I crave "culture" and city life so to speak...so London really appeals to me.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said "with the exception of" to exclude that particular city. It is pretty awesome to see, but "the oldest settlement in the US" was still founded after people in the west had figured out gunpowder weapons.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been there but I wouldn't want to live there probably. For me, it's either California or Canada.

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a lot of people on Tumblr who seem to think England is entirely populated by the cast of Sherlock.

9. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

Here in america, a lot of people see England (and Canada) as liberal paradises. Anglo countries with sane politics are very desirable. Most people don't actually know the first thing about them, though.

10. MerBear

Culture and landscaping

11. AlamoCity

I prefer Canada (the more remote provinces and areas), Australia (again, not the major hubs but the more rural areas) and states and regions in the US that are more bucolic. I really don't like the hustle and bustle of the city as much. I'd really like to live in an area that has the general acceptance of the big cities with the small town atmosphere. England has never really attracted me.

12. LetMeBeThatIAm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    HA! Crack me up, Maddy... :grin:

I'd say it's the accents, and not the weather. :wink: But I also like Australian accents. And Irish accents...

13. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    im satisfired with living in ameria. if i want to live anywhere though its Japan. I love japan.

14. LiquidSwords

Because of our glorious weather obviously!

Seriously though I think a lot of Americans have a pretty romanticised view of England, gained mostly from popular culture I'd imagine (Sherlock's already been mentioned for example) that doesn't quite tally with what you might find when you get here.

Not really in a position to answer your question because I live here but I'm quite content here and I certainly think that England and the rest of the UK has a lot to offer and is generally a great place to live. It's not all Four Weddings and Bridget Jones though.

15. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

When I was in England, I remember that I hate this country
    There are so many countries that are much better and beautiful than that cold place

16. Fiddledeedee

Culture. History. Countryside. Sense. Equality. Apathy. You know, all those things that America lacks but which make England great. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We're both first-world English-speaking countries. Beyond that we're not so similar.

Yes. And Doctor Who.

Lies!!!!

17. timo

Because London.

18. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    Speaking as a Brit, I absolutely abhor the countryside. -.- it smells, the long grass gives you rashes, there are big cow things... >.< plus, everyone knows everyone in the villages and that's just weird. >.<

The cities are okay. There are some less than desirable parts, but a lot of culture comes from those places, so I guess there's definitely ups and downs. London, however, is not all that you see on Notting Hill, so... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The people are alright really; here, you'll find a people who are really quite chuffed with their culture (not so much its old culture, more its in-jokes and funny celebrities and general silly Briticisms) but refuse to tell you so, and instead say how the country's gone down the shitter since Simon Cowell took over Saturday, and then tweet from dawn-dusk about how awesome X Factor was last night.

And You'll see that we're probably a little less trusting to start with, and we don't make easy conversation in bus queues (and if you dare cut that queue I swear you will be leaving with the mental scar that is a dozen pensioners giving the evilest looks from the fiery depths of hell that they possibly can).

The politics are eh. I love politics to bits, I just hate British politics. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But for gay people, I think it's probably SLIGHTLY easier over here than in America, but I should imagine there are still hot spots where it really may not be a good idea, so it's not all strawberries and cream. :/

If you like England for the accent, move to Windsor. Or just camp in the BBC News newsrooms and listen to them all day. Emigrate from the places and you will hear alien tongues. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: all of them interesting in equal measure, but prepare your best nonplussed face next time you speak someone from Newcastle who is in a rush. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyone who says it's cold is obviously not here today; it's supposed to be 26° today :'( too much humidness :frowning2: the problem with British heat is that it's quite wet, and it just kinda clings to you and after about 20° it can get quite unbearable unless you're a naturist.

With the younger generation thing, there are a lot of people who feel that we're kinda ending up as the lost generation (we are, after all, the ones who rioted a few years back). A lot believe we're patronised frequently; to go to uni, we need to pay £50k+ in the future; unemployment is pretty yucky,; school systems are pretty yucky (never mention Michael Gove to a teacher, you'll never leave the classroom), and apparently we'll be the first generation to be worse off than our parents. :s Which is a bit awkward.

But yeah. I'm not putting you off, I promise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it's still cool, as long as Murray wins Wimbledon today, we'll have something to live for at least until the World Cup. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Hexagon

I can understand why trans people want to live here. Apart from that... no clue.

20. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?