1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does "Never Dated" = "Gay" in peoples

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jul 7, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

I've never dated in my life (either sex) and at 23, that makes me feel as if that can give make people suspicious of my orientation to new people I meet. Being that I'm not particularly hideous, dumb, or a bad person, I have friends and family who sometimes want to play matchmaker and it feels that every time I refuse, they may have suspicions of my sexual orientation.

I never wanted to date girls because I knew I was gay and I didn't want to hurt their feelings by misleading them; I could get away with it without many inquiries because I just claimed I was "religious" or didn't want a relationship to get between me and my studies. But I feel that won't fly, especially given that I can't pull off the religious card anymore with a straight face (no pun intended :roflmao:slight_smile:.

Do you think never having dated raises red flags in peoples' minds about your sexual orientation?

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2013 at 03:00 PM ----------

I made a mistake in the title, it should have read: Does "Never Dated" = "Gay" in peoples' minds?

#1 AlamoCity, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

i think it does, i'm 23 too, i've never been with anyone (not sure of my sexuality) and usually keep that to myself by fear of people assuming that i am a lesbian.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Only if you was 60 years old maybe :slight_smile:
    You could say I have never met the right person yet (!)

4. FreeFlow9917

Ive dated two girls, never was really into it, and at 15 found out i was gay, well i am 15, so yeah, i think dating does have a factor

5. George

Also 23 and I've never dated anyone.

In the past whenever my family asked I would make excuses about focusing on my studies, or I'd say I just haven't found the right one yet. That worked just fine until my parents started playing serious matchmaking (that's what finally made me come out to them).

Extended family still asks whenever they see me. However I think I've done a good enough job at making convincing excuses that they don't really get suspicious. I don't really match the gay stereotype so that probably has worked in my favor as well.

#5 George, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm sure if I wasn't so damn ugly people would assume I was gay. I've never dated anyone, and yes if you are in your mid 20s and have never dated people will assume things.

7. Hexagon

I remember eight or nine years ago, my parents were dealing with a client, and afterwards I heard them remark: "He's in his 20s and he doesn't have a girlfriend. I wonder if he's gay".

But for the most part, I was under the impression that never dated = alien.

(source: this alien)

8. DanD

I'm a few years older, and remember dating a girl in high school (for two weeks) and then another girl for a few days once I'd left (who wouldn't leave me alone, and cried when I broke it off) :frowning2: I always use the line than I have no money to go out, but in reality I just don't have the friends, or the confidence, to make something happen.

9. One of my cousins used to live in Texas and he never dated until he was in his junior year of college. Before that time, some people thought he was gay since he was never dated. I think it depends on where you live.

10. AlamoCity

I think the majority consensus is that if you've never dated by a certain age, many folks will assume you're gay. Oh well, perhaps my closet is made of glass.

11. LinkLarkin

To be honest, I've never felt emotionally ready to date until maybe a year ago, so I don't think it has to be related to sexuality. That said, I think coming to terms with my sexuality was the reason I became emotionally ready, but I'm sure there are straight people who go through the same thing.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You need a Fag Hag, to take the heat off you Lol
    I am still not sure if that word is appropriate :slight_smile: but I have asked on here before & I was told it was :grin:

13. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In many circles, yeah, that's what people think, stupid as that is. When I was in college, I KNOW some of my extended family thought that about me, because they all but said so. I'm also a private person so don't talk about that much to them anyway. In my entire adult life, they have seen me with ONE girl. They may still think that about me, and now, well... :slight_smile:

I really don't understand why everyone believes that each of us HAS to be "coupled."

AlamoCity, you could tell them you're focused on your studies at the moment.

14. AlamoCity

I have a friend who I hang out with and we can get pegged as a couple so we could probably pull it off; I'm sure she'd agree. But at this point I feel that I've had too much stress over the years and, perhaps, honesty is the best policy.

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a factor but some people I know are just not interested in dating. But no matter how old you are, you will always be straight in the eyes of a religious nutjob. Therefore, yes and no.

16. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're not ready to date yet, then don't. That is your call, not someone else's.
    If you are, go for it. From your photo and posts, it's obvious that you are a nice-looking, intelligent guy. If I knew someone your age down your way, I'd introduce you. :slight_smile:

17. biggayguy

My cousin is decent looking, has a good job, a nice home, and a nice car. He just doesn't date women. He's out with the guys frequently. It does make me wonder if he's gay.

18. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one or two in the family about whom I've wondered the same thing. I would never ask because it's not my place to do so. At the same time, I wonder if they feel everyone in the family would condemn them. I'm struggling with that myself.

19. LinkLarkin

This made me realise that I'm the only single one out of me, my sister and my cousins. Sad times... :bang:

20. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You will find someone. There's a nice guy out there who is probably in the same situation you are, and you just haven't met yet.