1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

have u ever been made fun of because someone thought u were gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The_Poets, Jul 7, 2013.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    So last year i was made fun of because a girl spread a rumor that i was lesbian. I was harassed nearly every day and my friends thought that the girl who made fun of me was hilarious, it was a really traumatic year all because of something that wasn't entirely true. No one ever said that that was why i was being made fun of but between the girls whispering i love you and laughing, all the kissey faces, and a bunch of other stuff. I figured it out.

I just wanted to know has anyone else been made fun of for being gay when they didn't even know themselves?

2. LinkLarkin

I'm sorry you had to go through that :frowning2:

A couple of people made comments about me being gay in high school way before I had any idea, but it wasn't one of the things I got a lot of shit for back then. There was another guy in a few of my classes though who was pretty camp, and he got bullied a bit for being gay even though he was still claiming (maybe even believing) that he had crushes on specific girls. (He's way more out of the closet than I am these days.)

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how bullying feels, although I was never bullied for my sexual orientation (though many assumed I was straight at the time), I feel for you and it makes me sad you had to go through that (*hug*)

The only bullying that could even come close to this is when people say other people are gay/homo as a "joke." However, I have these two friends who are gay and they never got bullied. Then again, most young people in my community are accepting of their gay comrades so...yea

4. evora

Yes. In fifth grade, a girl started spreading rumours about me being a lesbian...I was new at that school too so that didn't help me in making friends. It was terrible. Especially in the changing rooms when we had PE - that was torture! They kept telling me not to look at them, etc.
    I still don't know if they really knew (because even I didn't know at the time) or just liked making me uncomfortable all the time.
    I know how you feel.(*hug*)

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. A bunch of us in sixth grade were watching football (the American kind) on tv while changing in the boys' locker room. I think it was the fullback who had the ball and completely bulldozed one of the defenders in an impressive charge. I just commented on how strong/athletic he must be to do that and people teased me, thinking I was admiring his muscles. It's worth noting that football uniforms cover everything with pads except for the arms and calves, so it's not like you could see much anyway. But the meathead boys around me still got a good laugh at my expense. As if respect for talent, hard work, and toughness is something to laugh about.

6. flight

OMG ME ME ME!!

Firstly, I'm sorry you had to go through that. (&&&)

There was this girl, and for the record I wasn't the straightest chopstick in the bundle in Elementary School (I was in Grade 7 so... 13 y/o). I didn't fit in with the guys who were athletic and jockish, nor did I fit in with the nerds. I related to girls more and we literally hung out everyday from Kindergarten to the end of Grade 7. We were pretty close. But apparently if you were a guy and you hung out with girls you're gay. So this girl, I don't really know, but in a school of 200 you know everyone in some sort of way. She walks up to me and to my face goes...

"You're gay and everyone in this school thinks you are."

Okay, hanging out with girls and talking about the last episode of Glee probably wasn't the best idea. But it hurt. And not knowing what that meant for me was a bit horrifying. So yeah, I buried all "gay feelings" till and denied everything till January of this year. I had this mentality that these people were wrong and I get to choose if I'm gay not others, and if denying my sexuality would achieve that then so be it. I didn't want to give that girl the satisfaction in knowing that I really was gay. Which is sorta screwed up if you think about it since I would have never told her, but it was more of a mental thing for me.

I know it sucks, but you know what you suck it up, and you know you're a better person than the person who said that to you and move on. I know it's not that simple but those people are (insert profanity here) and we're not.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yes. never to my face though

8. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, people used to ask me if I was gay of make snide comments about it in primary school a lot. The funny thing is, at the time, I really understand the concept of homosexuality yet. But yeah, I feel your pain. It sucks, but hopefully it will e entually stop.

9. thesharkamander

I can't think of a time that I was made fun of, but I do remember a time in fourth or fifth grade when one of my classmates asked me if I liked boys or girls. Fourth grade was the year I'd first wondered that myself, so I actually didn't answer, because at the time I had no freaking clue, but I wasn't going to just tell him that.
    I think there was another time in... sixth or seventh grade when some people thought I was a lesbian? I don't know why; I'd had an incredibly obvious crush on a guy when we were in fifth grade, but... eh, whatever.
    I think someone else jokingly mentioned it in eighth grade, because she said something about taking her shirt off so I turned around and gave her a weird look. (No, not a creepy one, more like a "what" look.)
    Anyway, I've been accused of being a lesbian a few times. Oh, how fun it'll be when they find out they were kinda right~

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2013 at 01:13 AM ----------

There was also a time in May when we were on a field trip to Chicago and I was standing next to my friend Emily, and this incredibly annoying girl thought we were kissing (?) and she had a mini freak-out moment.
    On that same trip, I remember her mentioning in the bus how you could spot a gay guy by some really stereotypical things and I just about turned around and told her to shut up.

10. Jonathan

I was never really picked on because someone questioned my sexuality. When I *was* picked on, it was because of my speech impediment (I had to go to a speech therapist all through elementary school). Regardless of the reasoning behind it, no one should have to suffer being bullied or picked on and I'm sorry that you had to go through that experience.(*hug*)

11. srslywtf

Kids in school (mainly primary school) used to call me Gayvin..

mostly I got picked on for being fat and a nerd though.

12. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I was bullied at school to the point that nearly everyone in the school would call me names and make fun of me calling me gay and the names which come along with it.
    It must have been my actions because even then although I knew something was different, I didn't know that I was gay.
    Even to this day that made a huge impact on my confidence.
    Being bullied made me skip school on certain days and I was put on report several times.
    I was doing really well when I started in secondary school but this changed when the bullying started and I am going back like 30 years ago but I think now that schools take it more seriously and will try and correct this as soon as possible.

13. LailaForbidden

Yeah. I was bullied in middle school for being queer, although I didn't know I was at the time. They kept calling me derogatory names and asked repeatedly if I was gay. I got pushed into a few lockers. Rumors spread.
    It sucked, and it definitely delayed my self-acceptance.
    It does get better though.

14. rena

Yes, and that's the reason, it took me so long to admit who i was to myself.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, at 12 years of age and a little naïve, I said to my friends "I like that" about going to the changing room; I was seriously laughed at. I have kept my mouth shut about that particular preference for the next 40 years.

16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fact: Kids are little shits. Everyone single of them. Myself included :slight_smile:

17. Ang

Ang

Out Status:
    Some people
    Never really made fun of by people I knew but I know there's been times where people have discussed whether or not I'm a lesbian behind my back. Nothing like what you're going through but still not the nicest feeling in the world. More recently when one person had the guts to mention it to my face "You know some people wonder if..." I finally found the strength to say "yeah, I've been with a woman". Such a relief.

Can remember being away at a school band residential thing with people ranging from maybe a few months younger to about four years older. This would be when I was about 13, I was almost the youngest there. One of the oldest girls was openly lesbian and the abuse she was subjected to was terrible to the extent that one of the stuck up kids told one of the teachers that she had drugs in her knicker drawer. They believed the posh kid and searched her area in the dorm. This same kid would also refuse to get changed and had said she was uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as her. I got on well with her but she never came back after the disgraceful way it was all handled.

Closest I've come personally other than what I said at the beginning was kids shouting when I've walked down the street with other woman (normally just friends, often who I wasn't out to at the time).

18. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

true..
    In elementry school I told a few people that in my opinion X is a lesbian and because of that, her only friend started to stay away from her. I feel bad about it even though it was six years ago :icon_sad:

Luckily, it's never happened to me. people don't know and don't think that i'm attracted to women

19. Yeah, that's how I actually learned what gay meant. I hadn't heard of homosexuality at all until one of my friends in elementary school called me gay.

20. MoyashiAlice

Aw~

I'm so sorry to hear how terribly some people have been treated. :frowning2: I have never been made fun of per say but there was one guy who tried to use homosexuality to make fun of a group of buddies I sometimes hang out with.

I was talking with three of my friends one day after school and this random guy walked by and said "Bye lesbians." The other three girls (who are straight and don't know I'm Bi) looked pretty offended and shocked. The only reason why I can think he would say this was because the group likes to hug one another a lot. But that doesn't make someone gay, so I have no clue why he would say that.