1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook makes me angry sometimes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LinkLarkin, Jul 7, 2013.

1. LinkLarkin

Hey again everyone,

I hope I don't spread my anger too much to other people but I had to get this out of my system.

A couple of days ago, scrolling through Facebook, I saw one of those pictures formatted as "Like for x, comment for y, share for z, ignore for something unpleasant" except the picture beneath "ignore" was of two men kissing. Well, I was very happy and proud to ignore it, but not before I'd looked briefly at the comments section and restored some of my faith in humanity with people sticking up for gay people.

However, today was the worst. I saw an cartoon image posted by a page where a guy on a chat room asks a girl for a picture and can't get to sleep later when she turns out to be a transwoman. Now, I'm barely out to anyone so wouldn't normally get involved with this sort of thing publicly, but I just couldn't scroll by this one without posting how offensive it is. Not that the page administrator would have acknowledged me, but I did get a reply from a random person that I "need to loosen up", "It's just a joke", "It's probably just an ugly girl". I responded by pointing out that if a man lost sleep because their online love interest turned out to be a black woman then nobody would be laughing, and of course I got no response.

What is wrong with people? /rant

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. justjade

I feel ya, dude. And this is one of the many reasons I'm no longer on Facebook.

That would have seriously pissed me off, too.

3. LinkLarkin

For what it's worth he replied a few minutes later to say that I was "playing the race card" and that I was "oversensitive and spineless"... I politely told him that if he thought I was spineless then I would be happy to meet up in person and discuss how hilarious minorities are. Surprise surprise, no reply to that in over 40 minutes.

I'm hoping that to anybody watching the argument I came across as a nice person instead of an offended gay guy...

4. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Look, get over it. Maybe it was offensive to you. But the thing you have to realize is no one on Facebook cares about your opinion.
    I care about your opinion. Most of us here care about your opinion. But the people who do care are so diluted by people on Facebook who don't that it's really not worth the trouble.

Now it's rant time!
    Look, does it really matter that much in the scheme of things that it was offensive to you? It didn't hurt anyone, even if it upset you, and there's no need to get worked up about it.

Now, you're not making it clear if the person in the picture is still biologically a man or not. Because I don't care how open-minded you are, any heterosexual man would not want to date someone with a penis.
    Now, if the person had already transitioned, it's a little different. But people still have a right to decide what they like in a person. A trans woman doesn't have a vagina with the same qualities as one created in the womb.

Now I'm not saying that a reaction of disgust is called for by the picture. That part is obviously blatantly wrong. But not dating someone because they used to be a man is perfectly within one's rights.
    End rant.

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As for the cartoon, the most horrid things are used for cartoon material and that´s "normal" in cartoon world. You mustn´t take cartoons serious and it is also not the intent to offend people, just to make them laugh. And some won´t. What is funny to one can be offensive to the other and it will always be like that, no matter what subject they choose.

As for the picture of kissing man, well, there are homophobes out there. We can´t pretend there aren´t.
    We can only comment in a positive way to get our own feelings out.

Facebook is the real world. Even if it´s your own page, things will come up that will upset you or make you angry.
    We can´t live in a fairytail bubble. It is good to learn to deal with stuff that we don´t like.

By the way, I don´t have facebook. My boyfriend had and since he is openly gay, he had 90% gay/lesbian friends and 9% transfriends and 1% gaysupportive straight friends, so all he got was pretty cool.

So, it does help to have it clear you are into your own sex. You might lose friends over it, but do you want those? And end up with people that won´t post offensive stuff....

6. srslywtf

I give comedy a free pass. Part of freedom of speech IMO. It's only when someone's goal is to hurt someone else that it becomes an issue to me.

If someone laughs at something like this, it's their flaw for laughing, not the person who's brought attention to the point/insecurity in the audience.

7. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

It's not new that there are many stupid and narrow people in our society.
    There are lots of places where people make fun of and humiliate people from the LGBT community. but don't forget that there are people who support, help and understand, or at least trying to understand. you just have to ignore those mean people, they are not worth the attention

8. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I have never had a facebook account and have no interest in doing so as to me it's like saying oh I have just done the washing up, I just made lunch and so on.
    It could be because of my sensitive nature but when my sister had an account and I looked at her typing on it for some reason it just seemed far too open, and not as personal as this sort of forum.
    It's more of a gossip site than advice on a personal level

9. Hexagon

This goes for anyone else who thinks this is a freedom of speech issue. It isn't. Freedom of speech is not the right to say anything you like and not have anyone challenge you. If I say something others don't like, yes that is most definitely my right. And it is their right to contradict me. I can't suddenly tell them that they are violating my right to freedom of speech because they call me stupid or offensive. They're simply exercising their own right to freedom of speech.

This is a widespread problem. Even in government, the idea of free speech seems to have become corrupted.

Furthermore, jokes do not, and should not get a free pass. What about a comedian who makes jokes you find offensive? Are you going to continue watching every stand up just because its their right to say it? The fact is that all to often, and it certainly is the case with trans people, that oppressed minorities are not considered people, so the person making the joke, of course they aren't out to hurt people. They're just making fun of that weird looking thing in the corner. And jokes like that only further dehumanise the minority they're oppressing.

I am not saying that just because its a trans issue. I've said this before. Freedom of speech includes freedom to answer.

10. Amerigo

just stay away from facebook

11. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    the transphobia/homophobia apologists are out in force today

12. biggayguy

Facebook is what you make of it. You can unfriend someone that is being nasty. You can leave a group that is not good for you. You have the control.

13. HeyAshley

i wouldn't let something like that bother me lol. you're taking a joke way too seriously and no offense, but i can't stand LGBT's that can't take a joke. i work with 2 gay guys and everyone constantly jokes with them and jokingly shoot shit straight back at people. you can't always be so sensitive and think that the world is out to get you.

it's different if someone is saying "fuck gays, i hate gays!" or whatever. but like, it's a joke?

14. Dani3l

^ Uh.. wtf? Not all jokes are appropriate. You can't just define something as a joke and then, suddenly, everything is peachy and acceptable.
    I don't see how being "traumatized" and unable to sleep because the other person is trans* can pass by a joke and not be a complete offense to trans* folk. I'm pretty sure the original idea wasn't that the character stayed up all night thinking how beautiful the woman was and that being trans wasn't a problem to him. But I don't know.. I'm "just gay". I understood the offense by analogy and it didn't sound good. That "joke"'s just tasteless. I don't know if there are trans* people in EC who don't agree with me. This is just my opinion.

And I see no problem playing the race card like that.

15. HeyAshley

i didn't say all jokes are appropriate but people just let stupid shit like that get to them. maybe i'm just insensitive, but yeah. if a straight male was attracted to what he thought was a girl and then found out it wasn't - he has every right to be distraught. i don't understand what's so damn offensive about that.

a lot of gays think the world is just out to get them when usually people are just kidding around. it's a struggle at times to be accepted by society so when someone jokingly takes a punch, most take it to heart for absolutely no reason.

16. Dani3l

I honestly see your point. The problem is what regular (and most) people take from the joke. It's not doing the "trans cause" any good.

Btw, she is a girl, but that's another subject.

17. Hun

Hun

This is why I have not a Facebook.

18. Hexagon

Don't you fucking dare call anyone 'it'.

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You know what's so "damn offensive" about that? The idea that being transgender makes you a freak. That because the woman in the cartoon happened to be trans*, it makes her undesirable, and the very reason that her gender identity is a source for a cisman's despair is exactly why this cartoon is offensive.

So no. It's not about "taking it too seriously". Too often being gay, transgendered is treated as a punchline. And cartoon, posts such as these perpetuate that concept. You want to be telling people that they're taking it too seriously when every day, transwomen die for 'deceiving people' or for simply expressing who they are? You want to tell the gay kids kicked out of their homes, beaten by schoolmates, or sent to ex-gay therapy that people were just kidding around?

Don't you dare call anyone, especially a woman, an 'it'.

-- sorry for derailing the thread, OP.

20. ptacub

ptacub Guest

Yeah, I see this every now and again. It annoys the living crap out of me, but I tend to realize that people just post whatever crap they want on Facebook without thinking.

However, I find it quite interesting that you mentioned someone defending the pic as "just a joke." I find it quite ironic that some people dismiss offensive and/or distasteful content as "just a joke", but will easily get angered over the silliest thing. It reminds me a lot about the Janoskians wanking video controversy.