1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having to go to a conference in Moscow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

As you now even admitting that you are gay in Russia can now get you jailed for 2 weeks and then deported. I am worried, I have a rainbow flag tattoo on my wrist and well I do look "gay"

Work wants me to go to a conference in Moscow now, and I don't know what to do. I don't like discussing my sexuality at work or anything.

Help

2. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well if you can I would recommend you have a confidential meeting with whoever your superior is or who is in charge of this trip and tell them your concerns. If you don't feel comfortable with telling them about your sexuality (provided they don't know or you're in the closet at work) just mention that you have a tattoo in support of LGBT+ rights and equality, so with recent events in Russia you're worried you might face trouble in going.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oy vey!

Has your government issued a Travel Advisory (most countries' foreign affairs websites in the Western world have one). If they do mention something about these laws, you may have a legitimate right to refuse to go to that conference, without consequences from your employer (I don't know the laws, you may need to seek counsel on this).

Keep us posted!

4. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Yes you are in a very difficult situation. Can't you wear some form of gents link bracelet to cover up the tattoo ?
    As for yourself saying that you look gay, I don't know what you can do about that, maybe you should try and take the boss to one side and telling him/her about your fears in the hope that you may be able to get out of it ?

5. Hexagon

Its your choice to whether to go or not. Your work cannot, and should not force you to do anything, not to mention something that might be a risk to you. However, if you decide to go, there are certain steps you can take to minimize the risk; cover the tattoo with make up, and possibly a watch or other piece of jewellery, and if necessary, wear long sleeves. As for looking gay, that isn't illegal. It doesn't constitute admitting anything.

As I said, though, its your choice.

6. Beware Of You

They know I am gay probably, but I just havent really discussed it

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is an excerpt from the Canadian Foreign Affairs website (travel advisory) on what constitutes illegal activities in Russia (it dominates the paragraph):

"Homosexual activity is legal, although some still strongly disapprove of it. Avoid displaying affection in public, as homosexuals can be targets of violence.

A law prohibiting public actions propagandizing homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality and transsexuality among minors, and prohibiting public actions propagandizing pedophilia came into effect in St. Petersburg on March 17, 2012. Public actions (including dissemination of information, statements, displays or conspicuous behaviour) contradicting or appearing to contradict this law may lead to arrest, prosecution and the imposition of a fine. Similar laws are in effect in Ryazan, Arkhangelsk and Kostroma."

I highlighted in bold just how easy it would be for a cop to just stop you for "displays or conspicuous behaviour".

8. BudderMC

Go ask them if it's possible for someone else to go, or if you to be there in some other capacity (ex. webcam)

The most likely worst answer they can give you is a "no", right?

9. Aldrick

I'd contact The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and ask advice on how you should proceed and concerns that you should have about traveling abroad. If they aren't helpful then get in contact with the Irish Embassy in Russia. In fact you should do both of those, especially the embassy in Russia because if you do go and have problems, they're the ones who you'd have to turn to for help.

They should be able to advise you. From there, if you still don't feel comfortable going, you can bring this up with your boss in private. You'd also be able to outline why you have concerns and point out that you have contacted these places to determine the level of risk.

If you're worried about losing your job over this, you can probably find a labor attorney to consult on the matter. You can probably do that without your place of employment finding out. Look for someone who offers a free consultation.

Hopefully this helps. I advise you to call the Embassy and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade ASAP. If they cannot help you, they can hopefully link you to someone who can.

10. Harve

In tourist-dependent areas/countries, you can 'get away' with a lot more behaviours than the natives can. And some differences in behaviour can be assumed as cultural rather than related to sexuality, so I wouldn't worry too much. Having said that, LGBT rights aside Russia and Western Europe aren't too culturally different, and the tourist-dependence doesn't really apply in Moscow, so I would be careful. Just don't be too paranoid.