1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does it mean to be pan-sexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The_Poets, Jul 8, 2013.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I really think i might be pan-sexual but i was wondering what you guys think it means to be pan-sexual?

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pansexual (And this comes from the words of a friend who's pansexual) means that you can basically be attracted to anyone, no matter what their sex or gender is.

3. Fiddledeedee

To be pansexual is to love people without regards to gender and sex, also known as being genderblind.

To be pansexual is to love people of all genders and sexes, whilst still seeing gender and sex as potential factors.

To be pansexual is to be bisexual but specifically inclusive of genderqueer and intersex people.

To be pansexual is to be bisexual but specifically with equal attraction to all genders and sexes instead of having preferences.

Take your pick of definitions. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: All of these have been used, though not all by the same person simultaneously.

4. Hexagon

Whats with the "-"?

Anyway, I'm pansexual. My definition is to be attracted to people of all genders. Plus robots. But I don't think most people would include the robot part.

5. Foxtrot

My definition is the ability to be attracted to and love anyone of any gender or sexuality. I don't think it forbids preferences for a certain type of person.

6. animequeen567

I'm a pansexual :grin: Basically being pansexual means you are attracted to people regardless of gender. Also if you want more information on pansexuality. This youtube channel helped me out immensely: Askapansexual - YouTube

7. ScatteredEarth

Hmm so in a sense, pansexuality is basically the same as Bisexuality. I had always been confused on the subject aswell.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^ Pansexual folks would probably find that offensive. Their sexualities are distinctive and not reduceable to bisexuality.

My bisexuality is same as pansexuality. That doesn't mean everyone's is.

9. ScatteredEarth

I don't mean to offend. But I simply cannot find a distinction other than Hexagon's robot thing..

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For many bisexuals, their attraction is limited to cisgender men and women for a start.

11. ScatteredEarth

So you're telling me that a pansexual is in love with.. anything? Or anything that breathes? Or what? Because I could only imagine something like loving a dog or a cat "too much" or something completely out of the ordinary like falling in love with a flower or an inanimate object or something along those lines.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pansexual people are often attracted to trans* and genderqueer people.

13. ScatteredEarth

Ah.. While I'm on the subject of understanding some of the more underused LGBT terms.. Mind telling me what a genderqueer is? Or a queer for that matter. Because I was raised with the understanding that queer was another nickname for gay..

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A genderqueer is a person with a non-binary conception of hir gender. So for example, I am male-bodied, but I have a bigender, feminine-leaning conception of myself. Other genderqueer folks may have a concept of their gender outside male or female at all.

Queer is the all-inclusive word to describe the whole community. Some people get butthurt about that word.

Anyway, please notice that my discussion does not preclude bisexuals from being attracted to trans* or genderqueer people.

15. ScatteredEarth

Oh, no I understood what you meant by adding trans and genderqueer people to the list of things pansexuals like. This has been quite the learning experience in the LGBT classroom. Thank you kind sir.

One final question. On the note that a pansexual is more open to loving everybody.. Has there ever been a case in where beastiality was included into the list of it? As far as I know there are furries that are straight, gay, and bisexual, that tend to take it too far. I wonder if it ties into it or not however.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly sure that furry sexualities are not included in pansexuality, but I am not qualified to speak on the sexualities of furries. I do believe we have a few people here, and perhaps you could ask them. I don't believe that they take themselves to be sexually attracted to non-humans or behave in inappropriately coercive ways towards them.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my knowledge, it means that you're willing to have sex with anyone, male or female, regardless of whether you like/prefer both, one, or neither sex.

18. Split Arrows

This is how I use the term to define myself and how I make the distinction between bisexual and pansexual.

But a quick clarification for you, ScatteredEarth; multisexual orientation does not mean that we will fall in love with anyone but that we can fall in love with anyone. This is a very important distinction because there is the old (and very offensive) joke about multisexuals "going home with anyone".

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It means whatever you want it to mean! Seriously, whatever you want.

People experience their sexuality differently from each other and not every single pansexual will experience their sexuality the same way.

A bit vague, but its always a bit "dangerous" to give labels set rules. This is your sexuality and it can be as complex or simple as you want to express it :slight_smile:

20. TheBritishGuy

okay, so pansexuality is NOT different from bisexuality because "bi's only like cisgender people". trans men and women are men and women, the trans part is a historical detail. The real difference is that Bisexuals find people of different varying genders and sexes attractive for various reasons, while Pansexuals don't care about gender or sex. people who simplify it to "bi's are bigots who don't date trans people" are degrading both bisexuals, and trans people, by implying they aren't what they say they are.