1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going pescetarian/vegetarian

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've decided to become pescetarian from now on, and maybe vegetarian in the future. I've heard it makes you feel a lot healthier. Is this true? What are your experiences?

2. justjade

The heme iron in meat is more readily absorbed by the body than non-heme iron from plant sources. So if you're going to write off meat all together at some point, be prepared to eat a lot of spinach and beans. If you're still going to eat eggs and dairy, I'd say that would be good. I don't consider being a vegan to be particularly healthy.

However, being a vegetarian is easier on your digestive system, especially if you eat mostly raw foods. I did the vegetarian thing for a few months. I really enjoyed it. I felt good, but I was hungry all the time. Hell, I'm still hungry all the time, and I do eat meat.

I then became a pescetarian and did that for a month or so. I just missed the texture of meat. I guess in retrospect, I could have just sauteed some mushrooms or something, but I didn't even think about it then. I'd like to try it again, though. The plant world is so rich with options that need to be explored.

I really hope you enjoy reaping the benefits of the various plant foods. It can be very rewarding, and the range of flavors is incredible. I recommend getting a good vegetarian cookbook if you don't have one already. You'll have to be pretty good in the kitchen because eating out will suddenly get a lot harder.

3. vrrml

I've been a vegetarian for the last couple of months, and a pescetarian for 8 years before that. it can be hard at first, having less choice when you eat out and stuff, but often I've heard some people actually end up eating a larger range of foods than before because they start to experiment more.
    in terms of health, apparently pescetarian is the best, as you get all the nutrients, but without the disadvantages of red meat. another advantage of vegetarianism is that it is much better for the environment, as eating meat causes a lot of deforestation.
    that's my reasons for being vegetarian, so good luck, and i hope you do OK with it.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a biochemist's contribution:

There is a native American dish call "succotash" from the Narragansett tribe in the eastern U.S. ("msíckquatash") which is simply a mixture of corn and lima or other shell-type beans.

In order to obtain protein from a veggie diet, you need all 20 amino acids that compose them. Corn has 19 of them, and so do beans, but they aren't missing the same amino acid so they complement each other and you get your protein from the mixture of the two!

This was a popular dish during the depression. The natives empirically discovered this property and avoided the malnutrition associated with protein deficiency, science is everywhere!

5. KingdomKeyDK

I want to because I hate all types of meat.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could go pescetarian, if I could select the types of fish to eat, but it's so expensive (halibut, swordfish, and shark). I used to hate it, but I now love fish. Yes, being a pescetarian could indeed give you the protein and vitamins you need, if your diet is balanced in other ways. I think that eating poultry and fish could be reasonably healthy, too, if someone wanted to cut out meat. I have, to this day, not been able to accomplish this.

7. LinkLarkin

Yep, being vegetarian is much healthier than eating meat! :slight_smile: Like others have said, pescetarian is technically healthier because of the omega oils fish produce, but you can get plant-derived supplements for this if you really want to go veggie. If it's going to be hard to cut meat out of your diet all at once then try using meat substitutes (quorn etc.) to faze it out slowly. Good luck!

(I've been vegetarian for seven and a half years so feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.)

8. Hexagon

I haven't gotten sick since going veggie, a year ago. Not even a cold. Which I used to get so much. So anecdotally, its true for me. Also, studies. They too suggest health benefits.

9. photoguy93

You need to look at why you are doing it. I recently thought about becoming vegan because I had some blood work done, and my triglycerides were pretty high. A Nurse Practitioner friend of mine was a vegetarian from way back and had the same problem, so she became vegan and things changed. Take note that she was a vegetarian and was still high.

My advice - vegetarianism/veganism or whatever you want to do isn't everything. It's also lifestyle, as a whole. If you're wanting to do it because you don't like meat, then just know it's harder than it looks.

I'd really recommend taking it slow. Say, for a week, you're going to cut back on beef...then the next week you just don't have any. Be mindful of taking it slow.

Also...if you had a lot of vegetables in all at once, be prepared for some awful gas, lol.

10. kem

kem

I've been a vegetarian for almost 3 years now, and an on/off vegan for about a year (blue cheese and drunk pizzas mostly), and I can tell you that I have found it extremely healthy and good for me. I have a lot more energy, no stress and I don't have any health issues. :slight_smile: Though, I still catch a cold couple of times a year so it hasn't miraculously improved my immune system. The best perk of a vegetarian diet is learning to cook your own tasty and inexpensive food.
    One can have an extremely healthy diet even if one ate meat, but for me the choice is not only health-related but also a moral and environmental one. If you're okay with eating meat, good for you. A pescatarian diet done right is probably as good as it gets.

#10 kem, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  11. catatonie

It's more than entirely possible to be healthy on a vegetarian diet. People who warn against it seem to think vegetarians are going to solely be eating iceberg lettuce and carrots, because before you start looking in to this diet, your view on veggies tends to be very limited. Variety is your friend when you go no-meat. Legumes, nuts, leafy-greens, and tubers (not just russet potatoes) should all find their way in to your weekly meals. There's plenty of free info around the internet regarding available produce, and reaching your caloric, protein and vitamin needs.

Fish is still meat, and you need to be aware of what you're eating and where it's coming from. If you're changing your diet for ethical reasons, be aware that a lot of fish is caught and farmed in ways that degrade the environment. There are also general health risks to certain types of fish, during certain types of years, or from certain parts of the world. You can look up seafood buyers guides online to help you figure out what's available to you, and what's the best for your area.

Starting a new diet is a lot of trial and error, but you'll figure out what works for you if you can stick with it. Just be aware of how you're feeling and how your body is functioning.

12. Foxtrot

I've been a vegetarian for about a year now. I think it's made me healthier, but you have to do it right. Watch your nutrition, make sure you get a good source of protein (eggs, quinoa, rice and beans, etc). A lot of people just eat fries and pretend it's healthy. I think it's good to avoid fish because of mercury, and meat because of diseases and growth hormones and all other types of crap they put in meat animals.

Other than physical health I feel emotionally healthier too because I really love animals and felt guilty about killing them (not passing judgement, just giving my experience). You should check out PETA's website for the pros of being a vegetarian (sorry this is a little preachy).

13. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been vegetarian for 15+ years — I feel very healthy, love my food choices, and don't miss a carnivore diet. I eat a variety of fresh, minimally-processed foods that mix lots of colors and textures, so I don't feel I'm deficient in any essential nutrients.

Vegetarian or not, I think one of the biggest obstacles to good health these days is avoiding and resisting all the highly processed junk that's constantly marketed at us...