1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your vocal range

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Theagonist, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Vocal type?

1. Bass

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Baritone

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Tenor

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Alto

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Mezzo-Soprano

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. Soprano

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, do this haha Find Your Vocal Range In 1 Minute.m4v - YouTube
    I'm at C3-B4 but I can kind of hit that C5 but it does not sounds good haha
    Which puts me as a tenor

* Vocal range is only one dimension of vocal type, passagio, tessitura, vocal weight, and vocal color are also important too!

2. timo

Voted Tenor. According to that video I get as low as G2 (Baritone) but as high as C5 (Alto) (but it sounds pretty horrible) (actually all of it does).

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the lowest voice of my family. I can hit an A on the bass clef and a G on the treble (A and G both below middle).

4. Hexagon

A2 C5, I suppose thats tenor. But singing as high as C5 hurts my voice a little.

5. Gallatin

I'm kind of between alto and mezzo-soprano. But I picked mezzo-soprano because I could hit the higher notes easier than the lower ones.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Baritone. I try so hard for tenor (because that's what most songs are done in) and on good days can do it very well with special techniques, but most of the time I'm stuck in the lowlands. :slight_smile:

#6 Argentwing, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm weird.

I used to be a boy soprano until my voice deepened and I became a baritone. I then went for lower notes, and got placed as a bass II. After THAT, I started singing along to other tunes on the radio and my ipod, and as luck would have it, I could still sing some of those songs. After beginning to identify as androgyne, I've started to sing even higher notes (I can sing a good amount of Rush songs, if my throat is nicely cleared up) I've now got a range that spans bass I and lower alto... So... yeah.

I've always asked myself if I'd give up the lower part of my range, and each time, it's a "no" simply because I use that part for voice acting, since I use both extremes of my voice to create exotic voices. An evil minion is REALLY fun to do :grin:

#7 Jinkies, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  8. justjade

I'm an alto. I can't hit high notes worth a shit. When I try, I sound like an angry cat. My speaking voice is pretty deep, but I can't hit low notes either.

9. leaf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a solid baritone, which sucks fairly often. I cant sing the tenor male songs without hitting falsetto, and I cant sing the deep base notes either.

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was the same way, I could do soprano I in 7th grade but as my choral teacher thought, I was in my falsetto. Then in 8th grade, I auditioned for All-Region as a Tenor I. When i got to high school, I jumped all the way down as a Bass II as the years went by my voice got slightly higher to Baritone but I felt like I could hit the Bass II notes kind of well so I stayed as a Bass II. So my range is blah right now, don't really know. I'm gonna guess Bass II to Alto I. I can't hit anything higher then a middle B on the treble clef.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just curious, did you get selected for it?

Also, Bass II to alto, that's actually pretty impressive! I lost a few notes on my way back up the scale, but not too many. To give you an example, I can sing the majority of "Folsom Prison Blues" in Cash's key until I get to lines like "I hang my head and cry" until it's just too much that I can't support it enough, even with my diaphragm. On the other hand, I'm almost consistant on singing "Red Barchetta" and getting each note multiple times singing it. Still working on it, but it's clear there are still techniques I have to get better at.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I think I was voice mis-placed at the time. The choral teacher I had at the time of audition mandated that everyone auditioned and just sort of picked voice parts for us (I don't know what was up at that time). I'm trying to remember what the audition pieces were...I think they were Jubilate Deo (don't ask me the arrangement lol there's a lot of them) and the other one was talking bout a bonny sailing a sea (cant remember the title haha). I try to get the high notes for a soprano back and still sounding good but I can't support them so I'm just like ":***: it".

13. ScatteredEarth

I have to say Tenor. I can't really hit too many high notes, but I'm surprisingly good at the low notes :slight_smile:

14. LinkLarkin

I haven't looked at the video yet because I'm in a hotel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But from experience I'm a bass, I prefer bass 2 parts because I even struggled with bass 1 last time I was forced to sing it. Having said that, I'm not very confident because I never had vocal coaching so that might be the only reason I struggle singing high notes in public. In the privacy of my own home I worked out my (chest voice) range to be D2 to A4. It sucks though because I love musicals and all the best Broadway songs are written for tenors. *Sigh* I just keep pushing myself in the hope that I'll be able to confidently sing my upper range one day.

15. catboy

I go from a c below middle c to a b flat above middle c comfortably. I can go lower and higher (mostly higher). My voice teacher says I am a flexible baritone (a phrase he coined). He said as my voice matures I will be a tenor but capable of going very low, but recently he said my range is growing both low and high. So I just say I am a large range baritone now.

16. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in Voice Lessons in 7th grade, I got a thrill out of singing the soprano part on Praise the Name of the Lord or something like that

17. Martjain

I didn't watch the video cause I'm skyping :s. But I'm a baritone, without vocalization I sing from E2 to F4, a little over 2 octaves.

18. biggayguy

I used to sing baritone in a youth choir but now I'm pretty much a tenor.

19. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I'm a baritone, but I can sing bass easily. Last year, my choir teacher put me in the tenor section for the first few weeks of school, and while I had to sing above my range, it made me a much better vocalist. So after that, I was able to sing tenor as well as bass, so I usually just stick to baritone because it's a combination of the two.

20. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Im technically a counter tenor, I can sing soprano parts and I only require falsetto for B5-C6, but i can hit them and sustain them pretty well and at a good volume depth

I probably could've said soprano, but as far as my speaking voice goes, im in between tenor/soprano, so i said mezzo-for the sake of it. Head/Chest mix i can hit up to A5 with ease,

Also, my lowest is C3, but thats REALLY hard for me to hit X_X its at the point where its so quiet you can barely hear it kind of thing. F3 is the last place my voice still has strength in it, even if i can hit down to C3.

I'm weird, but love my singing voice, girly and all :slight_smile: