1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a person Bisexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SirDerp, Jul 9, 2013.

1. SirDerp

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I consider myself Bisexual, but I think I'm still in denial that I might be gay.
    The reason is because sexually I'm attracted to guys, but emotionally and physically I'm
    attracted to girls. Sometimes I fantasize about being with girl, sometimes I think of sex but it doesn't really turn me on. I rarely get turned on by women, mainly by men. There are alot of things I find hot about a girl, but I suppose I'm trying so hard not be labelled 'gay'.

2. kulele

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You may well be gay, but please remember that attraction isn't straightforward! You can have types of attraction - romantic and sexual, and be sexually attracted to one gender but romantically attracted to another. For a long time I was romantically interested in both men and women, yet only sexually attracted to women. It's totally up to you how you identify.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do not try hard to not let you be known as something you can't help, just accept it.
    That being said, observing that you rarely get turned on by women and mainly by men is sort of significant. You may be bisexual leaning toward men or just exclusively homosexual. My opinion you are bisexual leaning toward men. That is only my opinion and you should not take one person's opinion to heart.

But to answer the post title: What makes a person "flat out" bisexual is their attraction toward men and women are equal.

Sexuality is a spectrum.

4. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    i'm bi/pan and from what i can tell i am bi because as much as i try to like one gender or the other some cute guy/girl always pops into my head and i realize i could never be straight and i could never be gay.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I replied in another thread with my definition of bisexuality-- if you feel enough attraction to the gender opposite your preference that you would consider acting on it, such as dating or hooking up with a person of it. Any less than that is ineffectual curiosity, really.

6. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    as a bisexual myself i think a true bisexual is someone who is equally attracted to both men and women i am 50/50 for both men and women on every level sexually, physically and romantically.

7. kulele

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Also a reminder to the OP that your identity is your own, please don't let other people police it for you. :slight_smile:

8. Emberstone

the same thing that makes one heterosexual, asexual, or homosexual...

you just are; no need to overanalyse and overthink it.

9. Martjain

To OP: To me, bisexual, is someone who reckons in himself the ability to engage romantically or sexually or both with both genders, not necessarily on the same level, not necessarily on the same way. But that's just me.

What's up with the "true bisexual" thing? Now we have a gold star bisexual? Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm really pissed off by these kinda things. "true bisexual" "gold star lesbian/gay".
    What's up? Are these individuals better than "regular" bisexuals/gays/lesbians?

Again, sorry If I come out rude, but that really pisses me off. :bang:

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That covers all of the variables, it seems. I agree.

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why do you take it that way? Why the competition thought?

I just read it as it fits the meaning of the word bi truly if you like girls and boys 50/50. Which it does.

But maybe I´m wrong?

12. SooConfusedRN

You say that you find girls hot but dont get turned on by them

You could be heteroromantic homosexual?

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are. Very few bisexuals claim to be 50/50, and of those who are, I doubt many fit the stereotype of sleeping with both sexes in equal portions, must be in polyamorous relationships, or feel attraction toward both sexes in equal amounts at all times.

It seems you're looking at the term too literal, like saying "all" gay people can and only are attracted to members of the same sex, but studies and personal accounts would suggest otherwise.

14. Hexagon

I do. And no, I don't really fit that stereotype - although I'm interested in poly, I don't feel the need for it.

And of course, 50/50 bi isn't better or worse than anything else. Its just another sexuality.

15. PinkBluePurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think what you're feeling is normal for being bisexual, its not always straight black and white. For you to really find out or confirm for yourself, just don't think about it too much, leave your feelings out in the open (in your mind). Sometimes if you just relax your thoughts and let them flow unrestricted , you'll know able to know for sure if you're bisexual or actually gay. Haha I hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know that and I know that very few bisexuals fit the stereotype. I´m just saying that a person who claims to be a "true" bisexual because he DOES fit the stereotype is not so wrong to use that term, imo.
    I didn´t read is as if he was claiming to be better. That´s all.

17. Martjain

Well, maybe he is entitled to claim true bisexuality, but that makes the rest of us look bad, as if he was more pure than us, or as if we were just leeching of the term and we weren't bisexuals.
    Anyway by my definition he isn't a "true bisexual", he's just a bisexual who happens to like both sexes romantically and sexually on the same way and on the same level.

18. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should look at it as a range around 50/50 that is 'completely bisexual'. To find a person that is exactly 100% spot-on 50-50 with not even the slightest hint of a preference is like finding a beach where the pier splits the beach exactly down the middle, such that there are exactly the same number of grains of sand on either side.

Those grains of sand in that analogy represent every crush someone has ever had, every orgasm someone has ever had, and the gender of the person they were thinking about as they did it. It is simply mathematically impossible to line it up perfectly.

My definition is different from that.

My criterion for defining someone as bisexual would be that their attraction to each sex is strong enough that they can have crushes on members of each sex, and that these crushes are strong enough that they produce a sort of 'rush' of excitement thinking about having sex with the person they're directed to. Someone could have more crushes for one gender but still be capable of crushes on both (and could have acted on crushes for both throughout their lives). If the ratio of the number of crushes is closer than maybe 70/30, I'd say that's enough to make them 'completely bisexual'. At that point, the population of men and women they find attractive is large enough that they will spend a significant amount of time thinking about each and pursuing each. The exact amount doesn't matter much--life throws things in your way. A bisexual man who leans slightly female could end up dating a lot more guys simply because guys are easier to pick up. Actions don't always reflect internal states.

It is a sexually-based definition (so I anticipate groans from Hexagon over it) but that's what sexuality should concern.

'Demisexuality', emotional/romantic attractions, and attractions that are non-sexual but allow for an aesthetic appreciation are another thing. That's another system that should have its own terms. I wouldn't confuse that with sexuality.

#18 Spatula, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  19. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are so many discussions in which is mentioned that one might label him or herself as he or she pleases, but if someone does, he´s bad and puts the others down or whatever? I don´t get it.

Are you going to fight over the term true bi lingual if someone used that because he is evenly fluent?
    Yes, you might say that there is not such thing as "true" bi langual cause you either are bi langual or not, but I can see why someone feels "true" bi langual.

I am not arguing bi sexuality in percentages. I am not saying that the others aren´t bi sexual. I just get it when someone uses the term true "bi" (sexual in this case).
    I stuck up for someone, okay?

#19 Boyfriend, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013