1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School LGBT Club?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 06211997, Jul 9, 2013.

1. 06211997

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello EC,
    I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have been in any LGBT clubs in high school. How was your experience? What did you guys do?

I want to start an LGBT club at my school, or a Gay-Straight Alliance club. My school is very liberal, but we have don't have any clubs that helps express and teach the public about the gay community. I want to be the one to start that club, because I want to show people that it's OK to be gay and want to create a comfortable environment in the school for any gay/queer/lesbian/[insert society's label here]. I just came out, but I'm not ashamed of who I am. I'm very proud of myself, finally coming to terms with my sexual identity, and I hope I can be the one to start a movement that will help other kids like myself in my own high school.

2. BudderMC

I went to a Catholic high school and assumed we didn't have one. A couple years after I graduated (and came out to friends), there was a deal in the news about local Catholic schools not being allowed to create GSA's under the name "GSA". I went to go talk to my old school's chaplain about it (nicest lady ever), ended up coming out to her to explain my sudden interest, and it turns out that our school DID have one the whole time!

Supposedly we had a "Rainbow Club" (lololol), but it was so stealth that I didn't even know about it. I guess it isn't the sort of thing you could advertise... but on the other hand, if you were going to hear about it, it was either from another person in the club or because you had the brilliant idea to come out to the chaplain (arguably the most religious person on staff).

3. bagginses

bagginses Guest

I wish my high school had a LBGT club, but even if it did I don't think anybody that age would join it. I wouldn't because I'd be scared I might get bullied for it

My college has a LBgT club though and I am psyched up to join it.
    I can honestly say fuck yeah!

4. flight

I have one at my high school. There are only a couple people. I've never been, but from the yearbook photos it's all girls.

Nothing has really been said about that club. Even when I was talking to the counseling dept. they didn't know it was an all girl club.

Unless there are some guys next year, I'm not joining. If I'm coming out of the closet in high school, I'm doing it with someone.

5. boysdontcry

My school, while in a conservative area, has had a Gay-Straight alliance for 3 years. It has come a long way since its formation, growing from only a handful to over 20 listed members. The GSA has been a huge part in supporting sexual minority kids here, and has become a second home to several kids who otherwise would avoid coming to school.

We had a sponsor teacher as required, but she rarely intervened and the club was entirely student led. Often our weekly meetings included LGBTQ inclusive sex ed, STD education, basic lessons on sexual and gender identities, harassment and discrimination,misogyny, slut-shaming, mental disorders, and political events. We had condoms and Safe Sex flyers available. At one point last year we initiated a "Safe House" program, where members with accepting families would write their phone number and address on a roster, which listed places for kids who found themselves without a place to sleep to stay at. All of these, still, student led.

I saw so many people, including myself, grow, and some of the closest friendships formed in that group. A GSA is a place to breathe a sigh of relief and not worry about parents or grades or expectations of society. So, yes, go for it, 10/10 would recommend.

6. George

My high school had one while I was there (so at least since 2005) - although I didn't even self-identify as gay during those years so I never paid much attention to it.

I'm on a huge college campus now though and I am definitely going to check out the club when the semester starts back up.

7. AlamoCity

We didn't have one and I doubt I would have joined if we did.

8. Adarya

We have a GSA in our high school right now, but from the looks of it there's not that many people in it (all girls) and the page on the school website for it needs some major updating. Plus, over half of the meetings that are supposed to be held are canceled because of people not showing up. I live in a semi-conservative area; due to the fact that in our county it's okay and not extremely conservative, but the two counties next to us are major conservative. There hasn't been a great experience so far with LGBT in the community, and I'm not out yet in the public eye, so it's hard to know what's going on in my town for LGBT.

Anyway, I was thinking about joining the GSA next year (or maybe a year later, if not possible) and maybe getting it back on it's feet. I thought that would be a good way to come-out mostly to the school/in public and I could update the school page for the GSA as well. It would be great to create a good environment for LGBT people as well as loyal allies, and I think that is something I would love to be able to do given the opportunity.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My high school had a GSA, but since I was not out in high school I only went once. (That was an accident..) My high school GSA had a reputatuion of being the kids that did not care about school and always got in trouble. Nobody had any problem with the GSA, so that was nice. I'm not sure if it still exists or not, there was not too much interest in it when I graduated.

10. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think we COULD, since a lot of people are okay with it, but there would be a lot of opposition adult wise.

11. biggayguy

Being gay was extremely taboo in my high school. There was a very real possibility of being expelled if they knew you were gay. Some of the guys from high school have come out on Facebook. That has been some comfort and support.

This has nothing to do with high school. It's just an FYI. Did you know that several graduates of Oral Roberts University are gay? They used to have a web site called ORU-OUT. I can't find it anymore. When I wanted to be a preacher I was going to attend ORU. http://www.whosoever.org/v5i3/oruout.html

#11 biggayguy, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to one when I was in high school and I enjoyed it. I think it is a good idea.

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We didn't have any clubs in my High school; it was a massive shithole.

14. Silver Sparrow

We have a fairly active GBSTA at my all girls school. It's actually grown much larger in the past three years (the year before I was a freshman, there were 5 "regulars", and no one outside the regulars ever really came). This year, we barely have enough seats in the classroom for everyone(although it is mostly freshmen and sophomores). I have been a member since my freshman year, and am hoping to win the election for joint president for next year.

15. Hrantou

That's really funny as mine was the same. I went a catholic high school as well, and I always wanted a GSA but there never was one for obvious reasons.

Years later after I left high school, I went back to a christmas concert and caught up with some old friends, and it turns out that an old teacher of mine has become the "Official/Un-Official" counselor for LGBT students. Which is so cool to me considering that she always helped me. She was very liberal and always hated the fact that the school was against it and hated that half the school was made up of rich snobs. So now she's the person to go to with problems that the pastors won't even touch.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off-topic a bit. I wish we had one back then. A lot of people were very supportive, but any attempt made to make a club like that would cause more problems than solve.

16. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good luck to you!

I would love having a GSA in my school, but I'm afraid there won't be enough people to keep it running. My school is insanely small compared to some of you people, a little over 250 K-12. My graduating class is about 25-30 kids. And I live in a more Conservative area.

You should go for it!

17. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school doesn't have one. I kind of wish they did though, the thing is, I don't think anyone would join if they did...

18. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school has a GSA. It's full of yaoi fangirls. Out of maybe 35 kids, there's only 12 LGBT kids. (But there's another transgender kid! She's pretty cool.) I'm in a weird area that is both conservative and liberal. (I'm actually pretty conservative compared to a lot of kids, though...)

19. I'm the Vice-President of the GSA of my school. We have talked about LGBT issues, advice, coming out stories (hint hint), LGBT related news, and watch drag queen stand-up like Willam's Beatdown.

I loved the club. We've actually done events like Day of Silence and AIDS walk in West Hollywood last month.

Whenever I was in charge, since I'm VP, I talk about LGBT news with my club members. If it's sad shit, then I show them an episode of Willam's Beatdown afterwards so they don't leave on a downer. Trust me, it worked.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't in one, but I was inspired to try and start one before I graduated. Things got in the way and it never happened, but I hope some kid starts one soon.