1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judging sexuality based on facial expressions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LinkLarkin, Jul 11, 2013.

1. LinkLarkin

So I was watching Glee (like usual) and a gay character told another gay character that he had a serious case of "gay face". I take this in an entirely light hearted way because a) the creator of the show is gay so anything like this is obviously meant in jest and b) the show does a good job of exploring various LGBT issues, so I can't see any homophobia creeping through. I just wondered whether anybody here actually puts any credibility in the theory that you can tell certain people are gay just by looking at their face?

2. HeyAshley

i mean no, not really. unless it's a male with pefectly plucked eyebrows, mascara and a little eye shadow....then yeah, maybe.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually there is an online gaydar test wherethey just show faces, and I scored pretty hight on that, so yeah, there seems to be some truth in in.

I´ll see if I can find that test back.

4. Fifty Ways

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say yes. A particularly fresh face (usually hairless) plus being too-well-dressed plus a soft/higher voice is a pretty reliable sign that someone is gay. There are a lot of gays that don't have these qualities, but those that do are pretty visible.

5. VelvetEYES

I normally can tell by looking at faces. Especially with men. There's something about the arrangement of their facial features. It's very subtle. Also, the way they carry themselves, the pitch of their voice. They all seem to be clues for me. They claim women can spot gay men more accurately than others. May be some truth to it. As for picking out the women, my gaydar is way off for them. I judge them more by personality, dress, and how they carry themselves vs their face. Just for the record, I'm rarely wrong about gay men. I'd say I have a 85-95% or higher chance of guessing with them, and about a 50-60% with women.

6. justjade

I just can't tell. I have no idea how to tell just by faces.

7. evora

There could be something to it. I remember once reading about an experiment on this. And I found it to be true in real life as well. Also, I feel more comfortable around feminine men than I ever could around masculine/straight ones so that always helps me spotting gay men, unfortunately it doesn't work with gay women for some reason.

#7 evora, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  8. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always have a "kill me already" face

9. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Yes I have gay rights tattooed all over my forehead ! :roflmao:

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've noticed certain facial expressions in gay men that are less common with straight men, but this obviously doesn't go for all, and whether it's societal or biological has yet to be determined. If you mean facial features, those I don't pay much attention to... some guys with boyish faces are sometimes pegged as gay, but I think that's more of a prejudice.

Come to think of it, yes, there probably are subtle differences, but I'm not sure how much time the average person invests into observing every detail and coming to some absolute conclusion.

Facing your preferences | Harvard Gazette