1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TriBi, Jan 25, 2007.

1. TriBi

Yes - it's Australia Day here! (!)

From Wikipedia:
    26 January 1788 was the date on which the First Fleet, under Captain Arthur Phillip arrived at Sydney Cove and set up the Colony of New South Wales. Formal possession, including the reading of Phillip's Commission, took place on 7 February.

Australia Day is a national public holiday. For some years the holiday was held on the closest Monday, to provide a long weekend. It is now held on the actual anniversary, with that day being the public holiday.

Australia Day is marked by civic celebrations around the country, including the Order of Australia and Australian of the Year awards for outstanding achievement. Air Force aerial displays are held in some capital cities. Citizenship ceremonies are also held on Australia Day. The Australia Day Achievement Medallion is awarded to citizens based on excellence in both government and non-government organisations. Customarily, the Prime Minister will make an address to the nation.

Fireworks celebrations are held in many towns and cities around the country. The Perth Lotterywest Skyworks display is billed as the largest Australia Day celebration in the country, with more than a third of the city's population (around 500,000 estimated for the 2006 Skyworks) lining the river foreshore for the display.

A lot of things going on everywhere - more info if anyone is interested:
    http://www.australiaday.com.au/

Have a great day everyone!! :grin:

2. Micah

Um friendly BBQ anyone? :wink:

3. TriBi

No BBQ for me.:frowning2: I actually had to do a bit of work this morning (that's what happens when you work for yourself...*sigh*).

Ah well - it wasn't all bad. Met friends this arvo, lazed around in the sun, swam and (off & on) listened to the Triple J hottest 100.

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I got to wish one of my Australian teachers a happy Australia day. Although he quickly corrected me in saying that it was yesterday, since the 26th had already passed there...

Still, it was fun.

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Was it only me who wanted a hypothetical new australian vegetarian member to come in and scald dave. Oh, just me. Sorry, it's early over here, easily amused. Oh belated happy whatever ya call it !!