1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"that's so gay"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeyAshley, Jul 11, 2013.

1. HeyAshley

i'm sure someone has made this thread before or something similar but i have yet to see one posted, so i'm going to ask.

is anyone offended by the term, "that's so gay." ?

honestly it's probably one of my top 5 lines that i say and i (obviously) don't mean it as an offense to anyone of the LGBT community. i figured i'd bring it up because last night my friend, who's also a lesbian, got really upset with me for using that term. she had texted me talking about some bullshit that her significant other was putting her through and i started my response with, "wow, that's so gay." and she flipped off the fucking map at me. claiming that i'm insensitive and i have no respect for gay people. (so i don't respect myself, like what the hell?)

either i'm just one of those people that you can't offend without blatantly getting in my face and screaming "FUCK GAYS!" or she just needs to lighten up a bit.

2. LinkLarkin

I definitely don't find it offensive. Gay used to mean happy/carefree, remember? It's just an example of a word evolving over time. We can still use it to describe sexuality, but it's just adapted to mean something generally annoying. That doesn't mean there's any link between the two, especially not when a member of the LGBT community uses it!

I still remember my high school history teacher telling us a story about how shocked he was the first time he heard a pencil being described as gay :icon_lol:

3. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I think there are so many better words you can use, that aren't offensive to anyone. There's no reason to use that term, and yeah it is offensive.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alternatives should be used such as: That is so Julie & Julia or that is so Adam & Steve or some variation of those. I can't find the DoSomething.org advertisement but that's where I got the idea of implying that something is "gay" by using two same-sex people.

But using the phrase, "that's so gay" is offensive.

5. FreeFlow9917

So so it can be if used in a bad way, but people like me and your friend don't really like those things because they cause offense in the lgbt community, and someimes if used as a joke can be taken seriously

6. Harve

Does anyone still say that, anyway?

7. Holly

It happens a lot in middle schools/younger years of upper schools. I've kinda heard it so much now that it doesn't affect me. But occasionally, if it's used in a very derogatory manner, I do get rather angry.

8. LinkLarkin

I'm sure there are other examples of this, but the word that jumps into my head is "special". Special has a very positive meaning; a special occasion, somebody that's special to you etc. But recently it has evolved so that if you describe a person as special then you are implying they have a learning disability because of the phrase "special needs". Does that mean that every time I describe something as special I'm saying it has a disability? No.

Words have positive and negative meanings. It's all about context, and if somebody says something is gay in an obviously non-homophobic way then I don't see any point in getting worked up about it.

9. HeyAshley

90% of the time when people say "that's so gay." they aren't saying it with the thought process of "that's stupid, so i'm relating it to people who date the same sex." like, no.

but maybe i should just apologize for creating this thread because all it's going to start is a war between people who can handle a joke and between people who are overly sensitive and/or insecure of their sexuality.

10. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    It annoys me sometimes. mostly just freaks me out because i'm always afraid someone is going to ask the "question".

11. TSN2012

I don't really get offended by it. My brother who knows that I'm gay used to say it all the time and it didn't bother me before. He still sometimes say it out of habit but then he would go, "oh wait, i didn't mean..." and i would laugh off and say, ''it's alright, no worries." But maybe that's because I know he loves me and accepts me i guess. If it was a stranger and he/she said something like that, I would probably get annoyed by it.

12. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use it myself, and a guy who's 100% gay uses it XD. Gay was the go-to insult in middle school, but it's really lost its punch.

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't bother me, it tends to be kids not knowing what they're saying.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the term, as it almost always is a synonym for something negative. Or else something 'feminine', as if males can't have feminine traits, or else some or other stereotype of being gay.

When I hear someone use the term, I can't help but think of them as immature, or lacking a decent vocabulary.

One never hears, "That's so straight!", meant to refer to things in a derogatory manner.

#15 HuskyPup, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  16. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    The word itself isnt offensive to me. Its the fact that the word that came from and (STILL) means to like someone of the same sex.

Yeah, words can evolve, but we still use Gay. It's kind of been stolen in this sense.

History of gay (simplified) - Happy/Carefree-Effeminate-Same-Sex Attraction -> Stupid. the first 3 are all positive/neutral, and now the word is being used with a negative connotation. The fact that people still use it, knowing that its offensive in the sense of Equating stupidity with being "gay" makes me mad. My brother says "he means it in the sense of stupid" and i say that I know, but how is that better? People make a huge ass fuss in my school... In fact, our school had a campaign and guest speakers for "Spread the word to end the word" for the word Retard. I don't use the word anymore, haven't in like 5 years. But... they really couldn't give two shits about people using "gay" to mean the same thing. If gay had naturally "evolved" to mean stupid, i wouldn't care as much. But its parallel to Retard here. Neither were were negative terms, and now they have become out of insensitivity.

A lot of people are starting to get to that point where they are only offended if its meant as "that so - homosexual" but spoken as if it meant stupid. I think its always offensive naturally, even if its not intended to be just because of its history/common present occurance.

Using it as a gay person is a little different :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It can be a positive thing, but the general public uses it negatively >.<

17. LinkLarkin

The word retard is almost exclusively negative these days though, that's why people find that one particularly offensive. Also, perhaps more to the point, retard was being used in a deliberately offensive sense, to imply that people have the intellectual capability of somebody with severe learning difficulties whereas, as has been pointed out already, describing something as gay is not comparing it to a gay person.

If we're drawing parallels between the two words, then the only way to resolve the situation would be to go down the same route and stop using gay altogether, including in the homosexual sense of the word. And I'm happy enough to identify as gay that I don't want to lose the word just because some people use it in a different sense.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but I want to point out that there have never been similarly used phrases such as "that's so female", "that's so black" etc. which were other groups under the target of massive discrimination. If the word was being used in a discriminatory way, I feel like there would have been a precedent for it.

At the end of the day, words come and go. I'm sure I used to describe things as gay, and my vocabularly has evolved to the point where I no longer do that. It's a trend. It will die out in time. Personally, I'd rather focus my efforts on ending real homophobia than getting annoyed about a non-insulting, if unfortunate, choice of words that will probably be obsolete in a few years anyway.

18. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I wasn't aware people still said "that's so gay". I haven't heard anyone say it in years. But, no, it doesn't bother me either.

19. sammy1

I have never used that word in a negative way before because i do honestly get a lil mad wen people say 'thats gay' etc and i have a friend who says that ALL the time wen shes talking or texting its pretty much her favorite thing to say and i cant tell her not to say it because she is quite homophoboic and doesnt know im gay so i always have to bite my tongue wen she saays that..its really annoying!

20. HeyAshley

correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that gay's original definition means "happy." of course in today's society nobody says "i'm gay!" to refer to them being happy. but if you're going to talk about it being stolen, well, it was stolen once before.

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2013 at 01:29 PM ----------

i've noticed that the majority of people who get offended by this are those who are afraid of what society will say/think, which makes them insecure.

she might be homophobic, but that's ridiculous and her own problem. you (obviously) know her better than i do but i doubt she says "that's gay." in a direct relation to gay people.