1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A world of difference

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jul 11, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earlier today I went to Canada for the first time, and my dad started hinting that he knew I'm gay. But while I was in Windsor, Ontario, a border town just across the Detroit River (And yes, that's me with the Detroit skyline/Detroit River in the background), it was instantly a world of difference in terms of gay acceptance.

In Detroit, it seemed nobody was out of the closet. In Windsor, I saw guys kissing everywhere.

My dad who has a low opinion of women and loves to make disrespectful comments like "Nice ass" or "nice rack" didn't say that to anybody today, either in the States or in Canada, and mentioned he knew how "close" me and my BF are.

[​IMG]

#1 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The IMG tag doesn't work with local filesystem paths. You need to upload your image to a website, such as imgur: the simple image sharer, and then put the image URL in the IMG tag.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now it's not letting me upload...

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2013 at 10:00 PM ----------

http://imgur.com/BrKRYGB

#3 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a great picture of you. And I'm sorry that your dad behaves like that. Does that ever get you down?

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really embarrassing to see the waitress or the cashier at Kmart's offended look on her face. But today he didn't know it at all. Before this, he would make all kinds of sexist comments to me, and now that he knows I have no opinion over whether her ass is nice or not, I think he might be starting to pull his head out of the sand.

But either way, I think he has Asperger's, just like I do. He has one of the same signs as my brother does: getting pissed off, throwing temper tantrums and swearing up a storm at random times.

6. AlamoCity

Do you plan on coming out to him? I know you posted a few weeks ago about coming out to some family members at a reunion, if I recall incorrectly :grin:.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to 5 family members then. It wasn't one big event for the whole family, but I came out to 5 different ones 1 by 1. My dad I didn't really plan on ever telling because I want to cut him out of my life forever as soon as I'm independent. He's been such a dick to me and such an asshole to me my whole life and I never want to see him ever again.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cool photo. I didn't know it was that close. I thought it was more of an estuary, but for them to build a tunnel, I suppose it had to be close.

At any rate, do you suppose Detroit is more "on the d.l." since it has that brawny image to maintain whereas Windsor is Canadian and has a different cultural composition?

I've not been to Windsor, but if you want to see "open," check out Toronto sometime. As for the center of Detroit, I only know Greektown.

9. AlamoCity

Sorry about that (*hug*).

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The tunnel is a little less than a mile long and it takes about 2 minutes to get through if you go the speed limit.

Culturally, it starts literally when you get to the border. The Canadian officer looked at my enhanced license, asked me if I was taking anything into Canada, if I had more than $10,000 on me, and to take off my sunglasses to make sure I was who I was.

On the way back to the US, the CBP guy was a lot nosier. It went like this:

"How's it going? (Pretty good.) Your name's :***:? (yep) Where you coming from? (Windsor.) What brought you to Canada today? (Took a day trip here to check out the local area, went down to the Devonshire mall.) Got anything to declare? (Nope.) Really, you went to the Devonshire Mall and you didn't buy anything? (Yeah. $170 is just too much for a t-shirt.) Where are you going now? (Home) And where's home? :slight_smile:***:, Michigan) How far a drive is that from here? (About an hour.)"

He looked in my backseat and finally sent us on our way.

Windsor, ON has tons of strip clubs that cater mainly to American clientele, or so said the museum of Windsor history. I think Americans cross the bridge to get away from the American way of shoving their half-baked morals on them about such things. Detroit does have a domestic partnership registry, but I've never seen a gay couple holding hands in Detroit. Then again, I don't spend any time in Detroit either.

On a different note, my BF has been in Saskatchewan visiting his grandparents all week, so today, we were again both in the same country. :slight_smile: