1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teach me to sing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Jul 11, 2013.

1. person57

When I'm older I'm planning to become a poet/story-writer/singer/song-writer/musician/dancer/actor and here's a problem. I think I'm a bad singer. Can somebody please teach me to sing or explain to me how to sing. I really am willing to learn to sing but I know nothing on how to sing good. So I'm going to 9th grade and I was supposed to pick 3 electives and choir was one of them. You usually get chosen for only 1 or 2 electives, and I'm worried I won't get picked for choir. And I don't have any other local vocal coaches near my location. However, if I don't get picked for 9th grade, I could just pick it again for 10th grade, and so on. But I really want to learn this year. Somebody please help.

2. AlamoCity

I can teach you to sing in a way that people will pay you not to sing. Sorry.

3. Martjain

I've got some bad and good news sunshine, Pink isn't well he stayed back the hotel and they sent us along as a surrogate band we're gonna find out where you folks really stand.

Well, now in all seriousness. There are bad and good news.
    Bad news are, no one in this forum can teach you how to sing, not because we aren't qualified (although I guess most of us aren't) but because we can't teach you through here, particularly if your problems consist on tuning to the right note.

We need to hear you and you need to hear us, and we need to have visualization of each other because, the thing with teaching singing is, I can't show you directly how to sing because your instrument is inside you, so I need to transmit what you have to do by metaphors and hand gestures.

For example, if you have trouble reaching a note, I'd tell you to approach it from above. Surely if we were seeing each other, you'd catch it quickly.

Good news are, you can take singing classes, they are very common, cheap (particularly if you're a beginner) and you'll sing better quicker than you think.
    I'm sure there is someone who can teach you near your area, you just need to keep looking.
    And even if there's no one who can teach you, you've got two options.
    1. Learn through Youtube, there are many many many many many many channels who teach singing on all sorts of levels.
    2. You can learn by yourself. For example if you have tuning problems, grab a piano (online or real) and practice playing a note and then singing it, until you hit it.

Hope this helps! If you got any other questions, ask away.
    Hugs!(*hug*)

4. person57

I don't know my notes :/

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need formal training to be a good singer. I daresay I'm better than most, but if you told me right now to sing an E#, I could do little more than look at you funny and give an educated guess at a pitch.

For me, it comes down not to which notes to sing, but how to sing them. There are things called "vocal registers" which means the resonance comes from either your chest (deep notes), head (high notes) and what I've heard called the mix voice, which is a combination of both.

I hate to sound like a broken record talking about Billy Joel, but consider the song of his called "The Downeaster Alexa":

[youtube]LVlDSzbrH5M[/youtube]

Notice that he says "And I'm cruisin' through Block Island Sound" with his chest voice, which is the one most guys use for talking normally. But when he gets to "I have charted a course for the vineyard" that's his head voice. It's almost nasal in how you do it, but then make up for it by opening your mouth wider to make it sound good again. I figured this out eventually by doing scales of saying "nay nay nay" until I was able to hit much higher notes. It sounds absolutely ridiculous and I recommend practicing where no one can hear you, but it works.

Sorry if that's a jumbled unhelpful mess, but learning to sing from nothing over the internet is a tough job. Try searching "singing tips" "singing tutorials" and the like on Youtube, to better get a feel for what text can't do for you. :slight_smile:

#5 Argentwing, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013