1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deceptively complex controversy for USA's Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Argentwing, Jul 12, 2013.

?

God in the Pledge

1. Yes! "Under God" is an important idea to keep.

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. No! God should not be required to love one's country.

33 vote(s)
    89.2%
  3. Don't care; either way is fine.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw a picture my friend "Liked" on FB, and it got me thinking. "Under God" was officially added to our Pledge of Allegiance in 1954. As much as it instructs Americans to be humble and reverent, is it really appropriate?

[​IMG]

The right can talk all day long about how God is a positive force in our lives, and how the farther we distance ourselves from God, the crappier the world generally gets. That may be true for some, whose religion keeps them on the straight-and-narrow. But at the same time, it is pure opinion not shared by all.

What ISN'T opinion is that our country is secular; we have separated church and state. The First Amendment to the Constitution includes the freedom of religion, which must include freedom from religion, aka atheism. Incorporating God into an official dedication like the pledge goes back on that, muddying the otherwise pure water of loving one's country with the idea that we have to love God too.

I know it doesn't specify WHICH God, implying it can by any one or ones conceivable, but it still sits heavy with me. Religious fervor is not a stable enough base to unify a country with, especially one so huge and diverse as this one. I think I have to err on the side of secularism here, and if I had my way I'd take the phrase out. Americans, and of course whomever else can share a foreign opinion, what do you think of God in the Pledge of Allegiance?

#1 Argentwing, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When they made it okay for students to refuse to say the Pledge there was a shit-storm about how we're abandoning some god and whatever. Honestly if you want to say the pledge go for it, if you don't you shouldn't have to. I don't think it should be another case of "You got your religion in my government!" things but it's too late for that so *shrug*

3. MichaelB

I'm not American so it doesn't really concern me, but if the UK ever introduced something similar then I would not be okay with the ideological point of religion being required to love your country.

I've always found it funny; America is meant to be the nation of freedom and liberty. But only if you conform 100% to the government, and as such it appears that people have ideas forced onto them. Such as religion. I imagine an Atheist would be really uncomfortable to say 'one nation under God', and it would compromise their freedom of speech and choice.

So yeah, rather odd for a nation big on freedom and liberty. xD

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^Agreed with Fugs, with kids not having to say the pledge. It's a gesture of respect that should be encouraged, but beyond a certain point, not forced. I mean, will it endear somebody to an idea to hit them in the face with it?

And MichaelB, I guess getting to be "the nation of freedom and liberty" is as easy as just saying so. >.<

#4 Argentwing, Jul 12, 2013
  5. Pain

Pain Guest

I don't view the words "Under God" as pushing religion on people in the pledge. While it may have been implemented under religious fervor, I interpret it as saying the pledge of allegiance under whatever power is highest to you, as a witness. What simpler way to say that, than God?

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never liked it and would only halfheartedly mumble it in school. I felt no particular allegiance to the flag, nor to 'God', but to humanity in general.

7. Although most of the U.S is of Christian faith, they should take into account of the minority. Under god was added because the U.S want to distinguish themselves from the Communists in the cold war.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of some alternatives to saying under God, but I don't think you should have to say it if you don't want to, it's your first amendment right to do so.

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I agree with Fugs that no one should ever feel forced to say the Pledge at all.

As a lifelong atheist, I am bothered by the inclusion of phrases referencing god in anything that is recognized by the government as officially representing our country. I am aware of the arguments saying that "God" can mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean, but to me it still tastes awfully similar to the casual erasure of other marginalized groups, like LBGTQ people. The word God, especially when capitalized, is too loaded with cultural and religious (especially Christian) baggage to be appropriate for secular use.

10. Gen

Gen

I completely agree with Fugs and Pain.

The presence of "God", not specifically in accordance with a certain religion, has always been an entity in historic culture.Its not as if a theist suddenly cares more about the pledge than an atheist because it mention the term "God". No one is even forced to say it. I believe it should be kept the way it was originally written; or why even have it at all..

11. Fiddledeedee

I think that by default the pledge should be godless. People can include "under God" if they want to, but isn't having it as the official version a violation of the first amendment?

Pain: I disagree; I interpret it as "one nation under the judeochristian god as our leader".

12. justjade

I don't think it needs to have the phrase "under God" in it. I was raised in a Christian school, so hearing the pledge without that phrase feels kind of weird even now. But really, I don't think it's necessary to have any mention of God in our pledge of allegiance at all.

13. Hexagon

I disagree with the concept of patriotism in the first place. But no, religion should not be mixed up in politics - and I believe your constitution forbids it, even if you won't take it on the principles of secularism, take it for that reason.

14. ArcaneVerse

^This.

I'm agnostic, also toying with the idea of anti-theism. With me being an Australian this doesn't directly effect me in any way but I wouldn't be happy with my country stating they are a nation under god. It's a statement, that to me sounds like a declaration of not only allegiance to God but submission to God, which in my opinion is a dangerous road to go down especially for a powerful country like America.

Religion should be a personal and private practice and should no way be tied into a country that prides itself on freedom, liberty & justice.

I also don't see how people can mistake the word God to be anything other then a reference do a divine being\creator. It will always be linked to religion and faith of some kind and therefore is unfair to be used the way it is, it completely disregards and disrespects those citizens that don't align themselves with any religion or faith.

15. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I silent protest the pledge in school. I never say anything from under god. i dont say the with justice and liberty for all because gays dont have justice and liberty.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've only been "One nation under god" since 1955. This is the original text of the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.[/I

In 1923, "My flag" was changed to "the flag of the United States of America", and in 1955, "Under god" was added.

There is no god to begin with, so how could we be "One nation under god?" And why would "god" bless this nation so much after all the people we've killed, nations we've undermined, and asses we've made of ourselves, our government, and our people?

[YOUTUBE]lGYFRzf2Xww[/YOUTUBE]

#16 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 12, 2013
  17. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It should be changed, BECAUSE, not everyone in America is a god fearing Christian.
    I don't even say the pledge anymore, waaaay too ashamed of my country, and the people who defend it.

18. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I think you should be able to say whatever you want. I think the pledge should be optional to those that want to say it. It doesen't personally offend me because I'm a christian, but I'm don't think church should mixed up with corrupt things like politics, so I don't really think it should be in there.

19. Munyal

Teehee in school we were supposed to write a paper on what the Pledge of Allegiance meant to us— instead I wrote how we violated school rules and pushed away other religions by saying this phrase every day. I did not win that writing contest.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^This ^
    Not just because of the 'under god' bit. I take issue with the whole idea of a pledge of allegiance.
    You can't force loyalty and to try and do it in this manner is not just silly, it leans towards totalitarianism.
    So the poll needs an option: I think the idea of pledges of allegiance should be done away.

The under god thing should have been taken out long ago, since it violates the bit of U.S. consitution that states that there shall be no government enforced/endorsed religion thingy.