1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Douchebag brother

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Formality, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Formality

My brother told me women doesn't deserve the same rights as men today. I got seriously mad and it was a heated argument to the point where I decided I don't want to talk to him any more. His bigotry is seriously just escalating. For about a month now I've kinda been testing the waters to see how my brothers reaction would be to my coming out, and I've come to the conclusion that he is a bigot douchebag. I've known since long he is a racist, but now I also know he is a homophobe something I wasn't sure about. And also that he thinks women are less worth than men. I'm kinda glad, even though it's hard, that I am gay, because elsewise I would have probably been just as shitty as my brother.

I don't know where I'm going with this I just had to get this off my chest.

2. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Most people that are racist also turn out to be homophobic.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, this rings true. But I've seen people that are more one than the other. I've seen it where the homophobe quotient outpaces the racist quotient in a big way. It's all about what the person was raised with and how they process things. If a racist has some GLBT siblings or relatives they are fond of, it'll probably be the other way around.

I've also seen GLB folks that crack a lot of jokes about different types of diversity, such as racial, and then their friends are super diverse, so they're just yucking it up.

4. timo

I was in Sweden last month and was surprised about the HUGE gender equality you guys have. Genderless preschool education (just for this I very much applaud your country), things like no separated restrooms in bars and restaurants. And I bought a pair of jeans in an unisex store (it was a hipster store though :lol:slight_smile:. Wish more countries had that level of equality.

With that being said, it's even more weird he thinks this way. And given you know he has racist views too... If I were you I'd not come out to him yet but look for a friend or family member who you know will be supportive to start with.

5. Formality

Yup, Sweden is very equal which is partially why I was so surprised to hear those words come out of his mouth. We used to be really good friends, but after have heard that and the homophobic tendencies that he is expressing, I'm starting to feel like I don't want to talk to him any more. Even less come out to him. Ugh, why couldn't I get open minded/accepting/loving brothers like everyone else in this country seem to have.