1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual- what does that mean?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Charlie92, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Charlie92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Now i'm starting to become more open to my own sexuality I consider myself as bisexual, however although I'm attracted to men I seem to feel more of a connection with women.
    So I'm pretty much asking if this happens to most bisexual people in that they feel closer to one sex or the other? And can you still consider yourself bisexual if at the moment you're more attracted to one sex?
    I think I've always gone through stages of being more attracted to men or women depending on the place I was living and people I surrounded myself with. I always tried to put a label on myself at the time but now I think I'm bisexual, just trying to figure out what that actually means is just as confusing! Help!

2. LinkLarkin

I'm not bisexual myself but I think I can help based on what I've picked up from people here!

Have you ever heard of the Kinsey scale? It basically assigns you a number between 0 and 6, with 0 being heterosexual and 6 being homosexual. Everywhere in between those is technically a spectrum of bisexuality, with 3 being equal attraction to both sexes, so yes it's perfectly possible for people to be bisexual with a preference for one sex.

Also, sexuality is very often fluid, and your attractions can shift slightly over time, or more unusually change on a day to day basis. All of that's absolutely fine! But it's great that you're trying to come to terms with your sexuality. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. Hexagon

Many bisexuals feel more attracted to one gender. Most, probably. You most certainly can still be considered bisexual if you're more attracted to one gender than the other. Me, I haven't noticed a difference in my attraction.

Bisexual means that you're attracted to people of two genders, as suggested by the prefix 'bi'. It doesn't specify to what degree.

@Link, the kinsey scale is dubious.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    being bisexual doesn't mean you have to be attracted to both male and female fifty fifty
    some girls are bisexual and like men more some are bisexual and like women more .
    In my case i'm more attracted to women but get attracted to men also just not as much as i do with women . Also I've heard some bisexuals say that they are only sexually attracted to one gender and emotionally attracted to another .

5. LinkLarkin

^ That would normally be biromantic rather than bisexual.

6. thesharkamander

This is considered one of the "best" definitions of bisexual. I didn't make it, but I definitely like it:
    "the potential to be attracted—romantically and/or sexually—to people of more than one sex, and/or gender, not necessarily at the same time, not necessarily in the same way, and not necessarily to the same degree"

7. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Since people insist bisexual = dual attraction, it can mean attraction to two gender groups, same and different. As in, all genders.

@Hexagon, the etymological fallacy is dubious.

8. LinkLarkin

Sorry only just noticed your last point :grin:

It certainly isn't an exact science but it helped me a lot when I was trying to come to terms with things! :slight_smile:

9. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I think they mean heteroromantic homosexual, or homoromantic heterosexual, etc.

10. LinkLarkin

Yeah I did think there would be other terms fitting the description, I just couldn't be bothered to list them all. My point really was that sexual attraction to one gender isn't bisexual, even if there are emotional attachments to the other gender.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2013 at 01:53 AM ----------

"Monoromantic monosexual" I guess is the appropriate way of putting it.

11. Ritor365

You don't have to be equally attracted to either gender to be considered Bisexual :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: For example, even though I'm bi, I definitely lean more towards guys than girls :slight_smile: It's actually quite common lol

12. Martjain

My definition:
    To me, bisexual, is someone who reckons in himself the ability to engage sexually with both female and male genders, not necessarily at the same time, not necessarily on the same level, not necessarily on the same way. But that's just me.

Also, as far as I know, very few bisexuals like both genders equally, so don't worry if you don't, you're still bi :wink:

This definition is fine, until you start to compare it to pansexual. Technically (and I'm gonna get much hate for this, but it's my opinion) bisexuals are only potentially capable to be attracted to only females and males.

#12 Martjain, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  13. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

@Martjain You bet you are. It's binary supremism, for one. Perhaps you haven't come across them but there are people who ID as bisexual but those two genders aren't male & female. One I came across was attracted to women & nonbinaries (not to say nonbinary is one gender; they were nonbinary themselves). A common definition is same + different genders, which can mean all genders.

Second, it's an emytological fallacy. "What it used to mean = what it means now." Therefore 'bisexual' means what intersexed does now and anyone identifying as bisexual is saying they are intersexed.

Lastly, people have been redefining bisexuality in favor of pansexuality in really biphobic and transphobic ways. "Bisexuals are only attracted to males and females," "Bisexuals are only attracted to cis males and females," "Pansexuals are attracted to males, females, and transgenders," "Bisexuals are fixated on gender," "Pansexuals care about the person, not the gender," etc. And then bisexuals accuse pansexuals of special snowflaking themselves.

The politics of multisexual identity are fucked up. Let people define their own sexualities.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2013 at 09:11 PM ----------

Edit: I see you said it's your definition. Perhaps you did not mean it to be the definition.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2013 at 09:12 PM ----------

If that's the case, then did I write all that for nothing??

14. Martjain

Haha, of course you didn't! I see your point and I agree it's very complicated to define sexuality and particularly when you are defining other people's. I guess you are right, bisexuality isn't constrained to only female and male. But we could say that bisexuality might have some limitations compared to pansexuality, right?

15. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Yeah. Pansexual is more specific. Bisexual may be more restrictive. Or may not. :wink:

16. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you seen the Kinsey scale?

17. Charlie92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much for all the response! You guys have been so helpful and I'm deffinately going to research the Kinsey scale now to try to get more of an understanding.