1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT In The Media

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miz Purple, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I have been thinking alot about how the LGBT community is portrayed on tv shows and while im glad that we are represented,I really am starting to hate thats its always just stereotypes and that its just gays and lesbians id love to see bisexuals and transgender on shows. I feel like people are always gonna sterotype and not really respect us as people if all the see is sterotypes on the tv shows. But on a side note there is a new show on ABC Family called the The Fosters has anyone seen this show? its about a lesbian couple raising their children they have a bio son from one of the mothers first marriages and then they have 2 children they adopted and they just took in 2 foster children, and i like it because there are no sterotypes its a typical family that has typical problems and how they face them and really like how the parents are raising the children.

anyways id love to hear your thoughs and comments on lgbt in the media.

2. LinkLarkin

I like Glee (just in case anybody hadn't got that yet) and they do a great job of representing LGB and T. I have seen some transgender characters on other shows as well (Ugly Betty, Dirty Sexy Money) and there are bisexual characters in for example Torchwood. I definitely have to agree with you that it took me a little while to come up with those examples though - BT certainly isn't as well represented as LG (but count yourself lucky, I've never seen a TV show with a representation of Q).

What I'd like to see, just once, is a show where some of the characters are gay but it's not a huge thing. The show isn't about their homosexuality, there are no huge storylines about their homosexuality (cliched coming out storyline perhaps being the most grating); they're just there and accepted like any heterosexual couple on a TV show would be. (I'm just using gay as an example; it would be great to see that for BTQ people as well of course.)

3. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yes i agree i wanna see normal everyday people that are gay people you wouldnt even think are gay by their outside apperance not to say anything bad about fem gays but they are always portrayed . And as a bisexual id love to see a bi charahcter that is not the sterotype bi but true 50/50 bi.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, on a lot of shows everything is a bit too much, even in straight people, it´s what makes it entertainment.

In movies, where they have more space to show someones feelings and backgrounds and such, it´s often better and less stereotyped, unless it is comedy.

And by the way, most hospital series are very good in portraying LGBT people in a natural way.

5. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yes i do agree with that greys anatomy does a good job at that.