1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you tip well?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeyAshley, Jul 12, 2013.

1. HeyAshley

a bit of a random topic, but hey, why not?

when you go to a sit-down restaurant, do you tip well (if the service is good)?
    if the answer is no, why not?

2. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, 20% for mediocre and 25% for good. As I understand par for the course is 15-20 so I guess you could call it "tipping well."

3. Pain

Pain Guest

Depends on the service I receive.

4. BornInTexas

I tip 20% always. I usually always get great service, though. Meh.

5. Jonathan

Normally I give 20-25% depending upon how good the server was.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good - 20%
    Excellent - 25%
    Less then decent - 10%
    Driving tip: Standard $2 no matter what, usually it comes to like 35%

7. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would usualy pay 20% for restos and 10$ each day for hotels-room cleaning

8. LD579

Usually at least 10%. I'm a student and money doesn't grow from trees. If I liked the service, it can go up to 20% or so.

9. castle walls

I tip the same way. If you are financially able to do so, I think that tipping well is important

10. HeyAshley

I'm surprised by all the decent or better answers on here. I'm a server so personally (unless the service is terrible) I almost always tip at least 30%. I'll always leave at least $10 minimum though, even if my bill is only $20.

Just curious because I personally feel like when I wait on the 18-25 age group it's always $5 or less. Regardless of what kind of bill they run up. And they're usually the most needy age range. But sometimes I get nice surprises.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually get adequate service, so I tip. I'll also sometimes have a friend deliver pizza when I order it, so I usually give them a bigger tip than usual. I actually tipped a friend too heavily for the company to allow it, once...

12. rainbowfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I rarely have the money to go out and eat, like I have to save for a while, but when I do, I always also save money to include a tip of about 15-25%. I was on a date with a girl recently, and I remember being appalled when she had $60 worth of food and drinks, and left three dollars as a tip (and we had EXCELLENT service!:bang:slight_smile:. I ended up leaving extra to make up for it, and ended up paying nearly 40% of my own, significantly less, bill. I don't myself going on any more dates with her in the future:slight_smile:

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Naturally, 18-25 is the college years of some people so that might be why it's always <$5 because it's all we can afford. I, personally, don't even go out to eat if I can't afford the tip. Many of my facebook friends are servers, so they kind of guilt-tripped me with those editorials about tipping 20%.

14. HeyAshley

Oh I totally understand. I don't mind when someone obviously doesn't have much money so they order water and a cheap entree then only leave a few bucks. It just gets under my skin when they can "afford" 5+ margaritas and then only tip $5 or less.

15. photoguy93

I usually will do 20 percent no matter what for my food, then I'll round up. If it's really good, I'll go up a bit. Even if the service is horrible, I'll still tip a good amount because I never know what's going.

However, I get so flustered with other forms of tipping. I really don't tip at hotels, unless I've been there for a long time...but see, I feel that I paid a ton of money for the room....and the I don't really tip with other one On one services because I know where the money is going. Like, when I get my hair done i only go up a bit. A large tip on top of 40 bucks gets costly.

I just wait until Christmas and do something nice. :slight_smile:

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I serve, so yes, 20% is par for the course. I will not hesitate to dock them for inexcusably bad service, though. (We have a Steak N' Shake around here that's notorious for lousy servers :S) As long as they're trying I'm generous, but if they don't give a crap, neither will I.

17. SqueakySandy

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a server too, so I always tip well. I know what they have to deal with every day. A small part of me thinks everyone should be required to work at least one day as a server before they're allowed to go to restaurants. That would change things, wouldn't it?

I usually get the worst tips from high-schoolers or young college students who are paying with their parents' credit cards. It's not even their own money!

#17 SqueakySandy, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  18. srslywtf

People don't tip in australia,
    because we have reasonable minimum wage and workplace laws.. nobody works just for tips.

That said, in some of the larger cities they're trying to push it in more upper class establishments. I am completely against its introduction, because it paves the way for not keeping up wage rises due to cost of living/etc.

It's like the good old "40 hour work week" - how much work was done to be given that right? and yet now, you basically have to work 7-6 every day + takehome work on the weekends if you want to get somewhere in a nice job.

19. HeyAshley

i say this all the time.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was an older thread, several years ago here, in which some guy (an American) argued that he was broke and shouldn't have to tip, and a bunch of other people chimed in about how tipping was optional and they didn't have to... and they totally didn't get (or more likely didn't care) that they were ripping off the server who, in many states in the US, earns as little as $2.50 an hour without tips.

I'm really glad to see so many people saying they see the importance of tipping, and that they make sure they have money to include a tip when they're on a budget. It's a nice change of awareness :slight_smile: