1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this an unhealthy amount of drinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cassindra Starlight, Jul 12, 2013.

1. I've currently got a male body, 5'9", about 100 pounds overweight, and I've been drinking today. I am not overly drunk, as I can still walk in a mostly straight line and talk clearly. I don't have a driver's license, but if I did I would definitely be too drunk to drive right now. I'm not worried about my current state of sobriety, as I am home and staying there. I'm wondering about long term health risks, as I don't know much on the.subject.

My drinking has been over a 6 hour period, with most of the drinks at the start and end of the period. I started with a frozen Mike's hard lemonade (5% abv), then.drank a beer (Kona Wailua ale, 5.4% abv bottle). A little later I had a nip of whisky (Crown Royal maple, 80 proof). A little later I had 2 glasses of limeaid mixed with vodka (Absolut SF, 80 proof). A while later I had more of the same vodka, this time cut with Rockstar. This was about half an hour ago. Now I have another of the same kind of beer I had earlier. I wasn't keeping track of the vodka when I was drinking it, but I bought the bottle today and a fifth is gone, so I had a fifth of a 750 ml bottle.

I'm not an experienced drinker at all, so I have no idea if this would be considered excessive or reasonable for a day's drinking, or if doing this a lot will murder my liver.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be considered slightly on the excessive side and getting drunk more then on occasion is murder you your liver. I would go into more detail but I've got a chart in mind for you. But in order for me to do that, I need to know your exact weight.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This amount over a 6 hour period and factoring in your weight: It shouldn't be that bad as most of the alcohol gets absorbed by the fat rather then it being absorbed right into your bloodstream certainly lowers your BAC and the amount that gets absorbed by your liver. Now if you were to drink the same amount in say a two hour time window then I would say it's a bit excessive. The two main factors that determine your BAC is: weight and time window spent consuming. Yeah when I made my original comment, I didn't factor in the 6 hour time window. Unfortunately, the chart I was trying to find was a BAC Green Card but you have to purchase those :/

4. So, is it the bac that effects my liver, and not the total amount consumed in the day?

The total period was six hours, but most of the drinking was in the first hour and the last hour. Not sure how that effects things.

5. SlickyPants

I'm not a doctor.

Healthy, no... Cheeseburgers aren't healthy either but I still enjoy them.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless this is an every day thing for you. Most countries recommend no more than two drinks per day or more than 14 per week. It would be ideal to stay within those limits but most people I know sometimes exceed those recommendations. Heck, I've been known to polish off a 6 pack or more just sitting around a campfire all night.

Like cheeseburgers though, as long as you don't eat them everyday then I think you'll be fine And as long as you drink moderately most of the time you'll probably be fine.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So it sounds like since most of your body had time to break down the alcohol during the "in between" hours, your liver suffered greatly but as SlickyPants said, this shouldn't be done daily as this can cause an addiction.

7. HeyAshley

that's not excessive at all, really. sounds like a normal 6 hour period of drinking if you ask me. if you drank too much your posts would be incoherent or you'd be typing silly shit at least. the fact that you remember everything that you've had and down to the proof of it and all - you're fine. when i've drank too much and i'm drunk off my ass i'm lucky if i can even correctly type in the correct password to my phone/computer.

besides over a 6 hour period that's basically nothing. for every beer you drink or shot that you take, it'll be worn off in an hour.

now if you drink all of that in a matter of 1-2 hours, then yeah, that's a little much.

8. Thanks for all the advice.

9. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are drinking an unhealthy amount, even if its over a 6 hour period. I think, given your reported weight, your are putting yourself at risk with your health at a young age. I would suggest you speak to your doctor about your physical health. And maybe think of seeing a therapist to understand better why you are drinking and eating more than is good for you. It just gets harder and harder to deal with these issues as you get older. Take care.

10. HeyAshley

a man gets a little drunk and he needs to discuss it with his doctor? i drink like a fish at least 2-3 days a week for the past year and i'm not dealing with any health problems. nobody needs to see a therapist because they had too much to drink. some people just enjoy it?