1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for Starting a GSA?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OneLittlePoet, Jul 12, 2013.

1. OneLittlePoet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I was poking around the website of the high school I'm going to, and I realized that they don't have a Gay-Straight Alliance. I'm going to be a freshman next year, so I'm a little tentative about starting one, but I want to create a place where LGBTQ kids can meet others sharing in/supportive of their identities. My main concern is that my school requires 25 members to be organized BEFORE starting the club. Does anybody have tips for attracting members for this purpose?

2. Pain

Pain Guest

There is a thread on good protocol here. As for attracting members, I would say that it would be good of you to ask friends. You could get a petition going around your school to see how many students and faculty would agree with your cause.

3. LD579

Well, you could maybe organize some stuff on facebook. If you could get a staff member representative behind you, and get school funding to put an event together... you could maybe advertise an opening for the club that has free pizza or something. Or you could try to rally up some friends who'd be down to bake some stuff with you and advertise the formation of the club, too.

It also can depend on the 'culture' and 'environment' of your school. Do you think it's discriminatory against LGBT+ issues?

4. OneLittlePoet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The petition sounds like a good idea. I would ask friends, but I'm new to the area and don't really know anybody yet. Hopefully I will a little while after school starts, and that'll help me out.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2013 at 02:02 AM ----------

I don't think my school would be too discriminatory, because it's on the list of suggested clubs, and a famous LGBTQ advocate went there and comes back to visit frequently.