1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some people think it a choice to be gay? as well as other sexualitys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wildwings, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hate some ignorant people who seem to think that we choose what sexuality we are. I heard on the bus some people talking saying it is a choice and unacceptable in this world. Felt like saying so people choose to go through the struggle of either accepting or being a certain sexuality, people choose to risk losing family and friends over it.

This is what discourages people (like myself) to come out because of ignorant people who think it a choice and that it some sort of germ or something. If they knew what some people go through they would soon know it not a choice your born who you are.

sorry just thought I would share this as it made me feel like so this is the world we are in.

2. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely understand how you feel, these assholes piss me off so much...

My guess is because sexual attraction's more of a psychological thing, and there's this idea that anything psychological is well within your ability to control, which complete bullshit. And I guess that doesn't mesh well with religious idiots who think it's a sin.

3. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah even though religion is not only to blame some are so anti that they force other people to think like them it a choice or a sin just make me a little angry that people can't just get past the fact it not a choice.

4. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Dad thinks its "A la mode" and I chose it to be "cool"
    I laughed when he told me that...

5. biggayguy

"If you couldn't quit it wouldn't be a sin." That's what I'm told quite often. Their God couldn't possibly be cruel therefore being gay must be a choice. In the other scenario they'll "love" you even while judging you a sinner.

6. timo

I think it's generally because those people are uninformed on the subject. Or just stupid. It pisses me off too.

I would have chimed in and asked them if their heterosexuality is a choice. It is kind of rude but really they're being so ignorant they almost ask for it.

7. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

Before I knew I'm gay, I still believed that it's not a choice.
    But now that I know i'm a girl who attracted to girls, it sounds so funny! xD
    like why the hell those people think that I really choose and want to feel sad, scary, anxiously etc.
    THIS IS WHO I AM! IF I LIKE IT OR NOT.
    the only choice that I've made is to accept myself and let myself be happy

8. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Close Minded People

9. 800xcrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I completely agree! I have no idea why people would think we would make our lives extremely hard on purpose! If we wanted to choose a lifestyle that was different than the norm, I could think of many other choices that would be much easier to live with! I had a "friend" in high school that of course didn't know I was gay (at this point in high school, no one did), and he said that gay people must have a problem in their brain. I don't mean to be mean, but seeings how I was a year younger than him and getting better graded in the same math class, I don't think I have a brain problem! The ignorance is just hard to deal with sometimes!

10. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people need to at least use google, read or something get informed before making such statements 'It is a choice'. Then again they probably the same people who think inside they might turn gay or something looking up about it... I think the people who act like this are insecure about something thats just my opinion though. It takes ignorance to another level some people just don't want to accept people are who they are it can't be changed just like Hetro are who they are.

11. HeyAshley

when people can't grasp the concept as to why someone is the way they are, they tend to think that they choose to be that way rather than accepting that they we are born this way. the world is full of ignorance. if people choose to be ignorant about it then i choose to ignore it. nobody is born ignorant. :slight_smile:

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like HeyAshley's answer very much. In addition to thinking it's a choice rather than accepting it, I like to add this: When people are faced with a concept they can't understand, they tend to look at what they can understand as opposed to enhancing their understanding of said concept.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly think they're used to unknowingly mixing up sexual orientation and romantic orientation. What I mean is this:

We all know that sexual orientation is nothing that anybody can control, and they can never control it. It has nothing to do with any decision-making whatsoever. However, romantically, we can make some choices. It's not in anybody's full power to be romantically attracted to someone, no. But in a lot of cases, romance has started because of a friendship, which always starts with the initial decision by one party to make friends with the other. The bond grows stronger as each party decides "I want to know more about this person, and I want to be friends with them more" until they form a romantic bond that they both have decided to commit to. This usually comes with the knowledge of their sexual orientation.

Those that say it's a choice end up making political mashed potatoes out of these two different things.

14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because they haven't realized that it isn't. :slight_smile:

15. destiny99

destiny99 Guest

Gee, let's see. I decided to be bisexual around the time I was born. And despite my efforts, no, I have not changed. I knew something was up from the time I was in 5th grade. We can chose if we want to be closeted or not, but we can't chose to change ourselves. Why don't you try being gay for a day? I mean, after all, according to you it is something we chose to do.

16. Lunarchy

Well, to some people I believe it really is a choice, some people are lucky enough to be of a sexuality where they could be with either or, but I know what you are saying. It's for the same reason that some people believe "It's not rape if she get's pregnant" or "All Canadians live in Igloos" or even "The sun goes around the earth!" Some people are just poorly educated on the issues they address, they think they know more then they actually do!

Prime example (Notice how he says "Literally")
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone on here had an avatar of that Gayroller... Who was it, again?

18. Munyal

This is a common myth that some people are just ignorant of. I happen to just correct people by saying (in the most non-offensive way possible) that only a total idiot would choose to be in a minority that is being discriminated against as much as the LGBT+ is.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because they're scared of having their heterosexual and patriarchal society threatened, so they have to make anyone who disobeys seem lesser and their nature not as real.

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's one of those things where I don't think people understand something, unless they are actually put in the situation.