1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why you dont like sports?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by neverover, May 4, 2008.

1. neverover

for those who hate sports, why u hate it?
    i hate it cause im not very good in it. especially soccer. i cant seem to kick a ball right. same with volley. cant do that first ball throw (i forgot what its called:slight_smile:)...

2. SamAlex728

for most sports, it's called a serve, but others have special names just for that sport
    and i hate it for the same reason

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because of so many bad experiences in the past. I have a condition that causes a serious balance problem, a tendency to get incredible hits of fatigue that are often brought on by physical activity, and a brain-wiring problem that means when I walk or run, my field of vision kind of bounces with my steps (it's hard to explain, but it looks kind of like how the video looks when you walk with a video camera), which is really disorienting. I didn't find out I had these problems until I was about 14, by which time I'd been told I was just lazy and unfit so many times that sport and criticism were jumbled together in my head.

4. interstella

prematurity + dyspraxia = not much strength and crap perception and aim =(

5. Atom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think of most of why I dislike sports is because of the aggressiveness that accompanies it most times. There's nothing wrong with competition, but sports get super hostile, and I'd rather the games be about team work and having fun, like in the good ol' junior league days, rather than kicking the other team's butt.

Also, I dislike the people who are in sports, or the kind of people sports produces. (This is the general stereotype. I know a few sports players who are not like this, but these people do not focus their life around sports and usually stay in less combative sports like tennis or volleyball. I never believe in stereotypes [the "jock"], but it's hard not to when they're SO true.) The people I know that play sports act like oafs and apes in the classroom. They're very disruptive and do not contribute positively in class. Many of them cheat to get ahead, and are not very smart or socially proper. Many I know devalue education ,are into drinking and drugs, act vulgar in class, and are sometimes racist and discriminatory (I should know). And this, unfortunately, is not even the beginning: because I'm in advance classes I see the best of the lot.

But, of course, this is only the case with most of the sports at my school. I obviously don't judge people off of sports right off the bat, but I can say without a doubt that most of the boys (I guess I AM referring only to boy's sports) that are in sports at my school fit these conditions. And I don't want to become that kind of person, and I definitely don't want to be that kind of person. Although, I do love playing sports with my friends because i know we'd laugh the entire time and have fun.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

My co-ordination is not very good, so I am crap at most sports. I still cannot swim because I can't kick my legs at a different rate to moving my arms. If a ball is coming towards me I can't get a bat, foot or head in the right place.

So I always hated sports at school and haven't done any since.

Now I'm using Markie's Wii Fit I still find games that require co-ordination cause me problems. I do badly on most of the balance games.

7. pirateninja

I actually like sports, and I like playing sports. But I hate playing sports with men. As sexist (can that be applied to women talking about men? :grin:) as it sounds, women who play sports just "get on with it". Men who play sports like to flex their muscles and show off, and if they get a slight injury they roll around on the pitch. Women just play, they can be competetive but not complete asses about it.

I hated sports in middle school because all the boys played football and when I asked to join in they just used to kick the ball at my head. I was on the football team at the school I'm at now (a girls' school) and I really enjoy it now.

Personally I put it down as "more to prove, more input". Women realise that social norms call for men to be seen as the sportspeople, and so they put more effort in when it comes to it. Men don't need to put so much effort in and so they don't.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to like sports, back when it was about being a team player, being a good sport, and doing your best. Still, even back then, I didn't like them because my parents signed me up for them without asking me if I wanted to do them. Also, I didn't know much of anything about sports, so I got embarrassed a lot when I would do something stupid while playing. For example, when I played soccer and they told me which goal was my team's goal, I though that meant we had to get the ball in the goal. It was the only time I ever scored in soccer.

Things got worse as I grew up. It was no longer about, "How can you do your best?" It was about, "What can you do for the team?" In middle school, I was forced to play soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and indoor soccer in the spring. I hated soccer, so that didn't make it any better. And during basketball practice, I could never make a basket because I had never been properly taught how, but the coach thought that I just sucked. He would do exercises where we would have to do ten lay-ups, and for each one we missed, we would have to run a lap around the field. I actually enjoyed basket ball, but because of those practices, I hated it. And just like salt in the wound, on the last day of basketball season of my last year at the school, I actually figured out how to make a basket and my skill shot up instantly. But it was too late.

Of course, I wanted to play basketball in high school, but my school has no intramural teams, and the regular teams required too much dedication. My HS is very sports oriented, so, needless to say, they only wanted the best of the best and the most dedicated players, and I only played to have fun.

Of course now, I would never get into sports because I've seen what it does to the people at my HS. Every male athlete ranges from mildly intelligent to absolutely moronic. The female athletes seem miraculously unaffected, but these dumb jocks disrupt class everyday and make my HS a living hell. In one of my classes, the teacher gives our whole class points based on our behavior. When we are quiet and attentive, we gain points, but when we disrupt his class, we loose them. Of course, my class is full of jocks, and these assholes don't let us get any points. They can never shut up, and they never pay attention. And then they complain about the tests being too hard and demand retakes. You don't want to know the kinds of things I want to say to them. If I told you, I'd probably be banned from EC.

And don't even get me started on the Presidential Fitness Challenge. Every year, I kill myself doing pull-ups, sit-ups, sprints, and other things that I never do in real life, and every year, I get a letter from the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports telling me that I am unfit and am at a great risk of being overweight and will continue to be unless I can get more fit. If I wanted to be insulted for things I don't willingly do, I would have asked. Thanks go I've completed my gym requirement for HS and don't have to do that again, because if I did, I would probably kill someone.

So yeah, the reason I hate sports is that I have bad experiences with them, but these bad experiences stem from the fact that America no longer views sports as something for fun, but something for competition and pride. It's for that reason that I am proud to declare myself a mathlete, not an athlete.

9. neverover

^mathletes:slight_smile:, remind me of that lindsay lohans movie, mean girls... omg, kevin g:lol:...

10. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    I hated sports in highschool with a fiery passion. Like Gamer, I was at a very sports oriented school and unfortunately almost all of my classes were filled with jocks (who seemed to fit every stereotype in the book) Most of my classes usually ended up with one of the jocks getting kicked out before the period was over.... usually the same people in each class too...
    Luckily enough, my school was also a big music school so I found people I could relate to that were really smart and nifty... and not assholes...
    FURTHERMORE. One word can sum up my dislike of sports in highschool... Messier... the gym teacher. He was also, coincidently the wrestling coach (so naturally, he favored these assholes above assholes). He even called some of the students faggots, or if they were no good at something he'd say "____! you suck like gay!"

11. Chamber of Life

I dont really like sports beacuse I'm not good at them and it makes me sick to see ppl get so angry over a ball being tossed or kick. But I cant really judge because I'm passionant about writing and someone can laugh at that. So I just dont like them because their boring and I cant do alot of them besides swimming.

12. I like sports a lot, both playing and watching. The only problem is what was aforementioned, in high school god forbid you miss the ball in ANYTHING you get the "You suck/Oh my goddddd/How could you miss that" amalgam hurled at you. The whole aggressiveness and competition is a major turnoff. That's why I have no problem playing with friends or family but high school sports you get ripped apart because you aren't amazing at gym or if you have a bad day whilst playing an extracurricular sport.

13. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Its booooring especially soccer BOOORING! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to the park with my friends every other friday and play a game of football, and one of my friends and I play tennis a few times a month, but as far as competitive sports goes, count me out.

15. EthanS

EthanS Guest

but i do like playin em tho :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

I hate it sometimes cause it's tiring and it makes me sweaty, i really don't like sweating much.... ew... :lol:

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever seen Baseball or "American" Football? How about golf?

I'm kind of the same as other people here. Like Paul I don't have the best hand eye coordination so I usually do a poor job of getting a bat / foot / hand in the right place. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with practice. It seems a lot of people do nothing but play sports in their spare time (eg: road hockey or driveway basketball). I never did any of that growing up, so I always sucked at sports in gym class which made me uncomfortable, and in the competitive nature of everyone else, etc, etc. That turned me off of sports.

In the one mandatory high school gym class I took, I was in a class with people that weren't very athletically inclined either, so it was a lot more fun. I don't mind playing sports with similar skill level people for fun, but that rarely happens. I'm actually half decent at playing floor hockey defense, but I can't skate if my life depended on it, so I've never played ice hockey. I don't mind basketball, but I never have opportunity to play it with similar skill people. Same for badminton or volleyball. I don't really like soccer, "American" football, or baseball.

I don't care for watching sports because I find them fairly boring because every match is more or less the same. That said the only real sports I can stand watching are hockey and basketball. I can't stand baseball or football, and can't sit through the super bowl if my life depended on it. There's action less than 2% of the time.

As much as I'm not that big on team sports, I love being physically active in the form of walking, running, swimming (though I'm not that good), cycling, going to the gym, canoing.

18. smartguy

for the most part, im just not competitive enough and the super competitive people get annnoyed and ruin the game. i like gymnastics and volleyball though. soccer too

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just no interest really. I don't have much athletic aptitude. I was a huge baseball fan for a good chunk of my life, but I lost interest after the strike in the 90s, and never really regained it. Still enjoy catching a good football game on TV now and then, although I hate the coverage. I don't have a fantasy team, thanks, and I don't need you to dissect every single two-yard-rush play and its implications for the world beyond. Just let me watch the teams play.

Lex