1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If they developed a pill that would turn you strait...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lunarchy, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Lunarchy

Would you take it?

Me personally, I love women too much, and I love loving women too much! I love being a lesbian ^)^ Even if calling myself a lesbian still sounds weird >)> But would you?
    No judgment here, I mean, at least you'd be able to visit Russia!

Just curious ^)^

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ROFFLMAO at the Russia comment :lol:

I wouldn't. If it worked, all my pain and suffering would be for nothing. All my efforts of coming out and being able to confront people about it would've been for nothing. I feel like I would be cheating God as we're all made the way that he wants us to be.

3. George

I would not. This may seem silly, but being born an upper-middle class white male in a religious conservative family rendered me quite... ignorant and intolerant to minority groups. So when I realized my sexuality and that I suddenly didn't have any kind of inherited privilege anymore, my heart warmed up immensely for all minority groups. I've switched political views completely during that process and I consider myself an overall much more accepting person than I was in my past. I wouldn't want to give this up for anything.

However, technically the pill wouldn't erase all of my other views so I suppose I can't really use that as an argument completely. Even so, I feel that an attempt at changing myself would be basically saying I don't think I'm good enough as I am. I certainly don't find that to be the case. I'm proud of who I am and who I love and I'm not going to deny that just to try to fit in with what is considered normal.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, because I would lose my boyfriend then.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't take it, because this the only life that I know of, and I wouldn't throw it all away right now. Being 'gay' has sort of 'empowered' me to stand up for people, and to be loving and caring.

6. jus1kis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    how could u voluntarily choose to stop loving something that you love so much. I love loving guys. I love the feeling i get when I see a guy i like. Also, who knows how being gay affects your personality. Taking the pill could completely change who u r.
    Despite everything i just said, i honestly would end up taking the pill. my heart would fight every step, but i'd take it in the end.

7. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

To me, my sexuality is such an important part of who I am. It has presented trials that have helped me to grow, and forced me to confront deep issues withing myself. I am stronger for it, undeniably.

If I became suddenly straight, I would feel like I lost an arm or a leg. I don't think being straight forces people to grow in the way being gay does. I don't think straight people consider being straight essential to their identity, or even think about their sexuality at all. Many of the most important experiences in my life would suddenly be irrelevant.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm exactly the same in every way here.

9. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Nope, I love being bi :slight_smile:

10. BornInTexas

So many of the same threads I posted no on got me thinking. If all it does is change my sexual attraction from men to women, I'd take it only if they developed a pill to counteract or reverse the effects of the 'straight pill.' I wouldn't get a girlfriend right away, just like I can't get a boyfriend. The only difference would be I liked women instead of men, and my dating pool is much larger. Plus, I wouldn't want to be called that guy who lives down the block who had to take a pill to become normal to society. It is more fun being an abnormal freak.

11. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Every month when this is re-posted, I post Owen's excellent response from a year ago.

I'd take it.

I often feel like I'm the only GLB person who has this opinion. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing inherently good about being gay that doesn't have some kind of equivalence if you're straight.

"But guys are so hot!" And girls would be just as hot if I were straight.
    "But vagina is so icky!" And it would be just as appealing as penis if I were straight.
    "But you're going to make some guy so happy!" And I could make a girl happy too if I were straight. In fact, my odds of finding a girl to make happy would be better, as if I started fancying a girl, sexuality wouldn't be imposing a 5-10% chance that she's capable of reciprocating the feelings.

"But you get to be special!" ...special? Are you fucking kidding me?

This one irks me the most, so I should elaborate. The word "special" implies something positive, something desirable about whatever attribute is being described. Being part of an oppressed minority is not desirable. Needing to work at least ten times harder to find a mate is not desirable. Missing out on privilege (straight privilege, specifically) is not desirable. Worrying about whether someone might react violently if they find out this simple fact about who I am is not desirable.

I used be of the opposite opinion, and one of the reasons was because "Being gay made me who I am today." But then I realized that if I were to take this pill, my personality wouldn't suddenly change. My personality is the result of my experiences, my history, my interactions with my friends. Changing my sexuality isn't going to suddenly erase all those and invalidate them. I'd be the same person, just straight. I could be the same shameless, convention-breaking individual; I'd just have a better chance of getting a date on Saturday night.

You might now be accusing me of not being proud of who I am. What's to be proud of? I like guys. It's not like I climbed mount Everest. It's not like I can recite the first thousand digits of pi. Being gay isn't a talent or an accomplishment; it's a part of who I am, like being right-handed, or brown-eyed, or white. Changing that aspect of who I am would objectively improve my life. Why is it a shameful thing to acknowledge that fact?

12. HeyAshley

someone posted something like this not too long ago. i wouldn't personally take it, i like myself the way i am.

13. Lunarchy

Yeah, this probably gets posted a lot now that I think of it, but I found all of the answers really interesting to read, so I suppose, to me at least, it was worth it ^)^ It's always interesting to see how other people think on the matter!

14. leer

wouldn't take it .ID throw it in the toilet, then piss on it, then flush .

15. gavguy

gavguy Guest

If you had asked me this question about 20 years ago then I might have said yes, I wanted to be the family man with a wife and kids so I could protect them and carry the surname onto the next generation.
    But since then I have accepted my sexuality and still I could protect someone or a family if needed, so no I wouldn't take it now or it would change the person I am to this day.
    I might not like certain features of myself but I know I am caring and 100% Gay, I love men, looking at topless women even on the TV makes me feel sick

16. Hexagon

First I'd correct the spelling on the packet, then I'd throw it away.

17. Foxface

absolutely not

Foxface

18. Idek1204

Nope. Even though I don't feel accepted by some people who know, I feel like for the first time in years I can be myself which is nice and I wouldn't do anything to change that.

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I would never

20. LucasHiroshi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    when I was younger, I would