1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does homosexuality run in families?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stridenttube, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Okay, I've seen many threads on EC about parents who are gay and also have a child that has came out to them as gay. I've also seen teens on here with older siblings who are gay.

Are gays more likely to have gay family members?

2. MrBrightside

Possibly, im 90% sure my brother is gay... i also know a couple of people whos siblings are gay as well as themselves. Though maybe we just focus on them cos it cant be that common because a big thing is made of it when it does happen.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Is your brother older or younger?

4. jus1kis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Who we are is either due to nature or nurture (biological or our environment). If being gay has more to do with nature and biological, then it would run in the family because they share genes and what not. If it has to do with nurture and environment, then it would also run in the family because family often lives in the same environment.

5. CreativeGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, i'm not a 100% sure, for example, what about those cases were a son turns out to be gay in a familly of heterosexuals(mom and dad)?
    It's really complicated, but if i had to chose, i'd say that it's all about genes but not necessarily runs in the familly. What i want to say is that two heterosexuals can have a baby that has a bigger chance to be gay. So after he's born, i'ts the enviroment's job to give the right amount of influence to make that kid gay.

6. jus1kis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My belief is that in the cases where both parents are heterosexual, theres a possibility that often one parent is gay deep down.
    On the other hand, I agree that different combinations of genes and small differences that separate your environment from your family members, can just as easily make you the only gay family member.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My half-sister is lesbian, so I suppose there is a chance. But it's equally likely that alternate sexuality is mostly random and happens to appear in some families more than others.

8. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

I have no idea.. but I think that you have more chance to be gay if your parents are gays too.

9. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doubtful it does because nobody i know of as yet is gay in my family.

10. Rexmond

I'm the only gay person in my family. 100% certain of that.

However, one of my cousin's on my mum's side of the family is gay.

11. Jared

I'm an only child so no gay siblings, but I have a gay first cousin and two gay second cousins, all on my dad's side of the family.

12. wowiemio

I'm the only gay person in the family that i know of so far, so i don't think it's genes

13. Lunarchy

I come from a long line of extreme homophobics, so it's unlikely that it's genetic, unless they were all secretly gay ^)^ Then again, I'm pretty sure I was switched at birth because I am NOTHING like my family at all!

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really think so. I've got an uncle, two aunts, at least two cousins, and possibly my brother on my mom's side, and I think one of my cousins on my dad's side is closeted. So yes, I think it does run in the family and I got the gene.

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the second to youngest in my family (2 brothers and 1 sister come before me) and my uncle on my dad's side of the family is gay but no one in my immediate family though (at least I don't think). So possibly it can be inherited.

16. MrBrightside

Hes younger. I have heard a theory that being gay can often be attributed to a lack of an alpha male in early life, like a lack of a masculine presence, which is certainly true in my case because by dad is certainly not the head of the household :grin:

17. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is what homophobes us as an excuse.... scientist disaprooved that theory long ago.

18. George

There have been studies (source: BBC NEWS | Health | How homosexuality is 'inherited') which found that 20% of gay males could be explained by a gene on the X-chromosome. The researchers found that on average, a gay male's mother and his mother's sisters had more children than normal. The gay male's mother's brothers also had more children than normal, but to a lesser extent.

The suggestion is that a gene on the X-chromosome has a dual purpose - its presence leads to higher fertility and a genetic predisposition to homosexuality. The benefit of higher fertility explains why such a gene could exist for millions of years without being eliminated through natural selection.

To answer the OP - I have no siblings but I do have a lot of first cousins. None of them have officially come out, but one of them I caught recently holding hands with another guy and cuddling with him when watching a movie. So I think it's only a matter of time before he'll come out. A couple of my other cousins I'm suspicious of too, but I don't have as much evidence to go off from.

#18 George, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More so than not. From what I've seen. Gives credence to the genetic concept, that's for sure.

20. VelvetEYES

I'm the only biological gay person in my family of both sides that I know of. A couple adopted gays in my family but that's it. I'm the only one.