1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: GLBT Group in Your Area

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justjoshoh, Jan 30, 2007.

?

Are you aware of any GLBT group in your area that focuses on your peer level? (< 30)

Poll closed Feb 13, 2007.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. justjoshoh

While trying to help someone out from another forum, I wrote this rehetorical thought below...

Since this forum is geared more toward the targeted demographic, I hope you will take the time to answer a few polls, starting with this first one.

For those of us under 30, are you aware of any GLBT group in your area that focuses on your peer level?

Any additional comments are appreciated.

2. Micah

In Melbourne, Australia there is a group called Minus18 that organises a range of under-age activities for gay/bi/curious youth in the city. The main events are dance parties, but they also run smaller events, like bowling nights, karaoke nights and have a place in the annual pride march.

I'm currently filling out a form to join the committee since I'm now 18 :wink:

As far as I know, this is the only event of its type in Australia (leaving the other 7 major cities without an underage gay event of this scale).

3. step49x

At my college, we have a peer group. I'm not sure how many people know about it, though.

4. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

There is one in Dallas, and one in Fort Worth, but the thing about the DFW area and its suburbs(where I'm at) it could take me several HOURS to get into town where the groups meet due to traffic and distance. So I would say no, there is not one in my area.

5. GuitarGirl1350

There's one called the Rainbow Room about an hour from my house. (Which is only a trip into the city, the real city- I've never been to rainbow room as it is so far away.) It's run by Planned Parenthood so I'm hoping the local PP starts one soon. =] I'd be able to go then as that is about 20 minutes from my house, what we call the city and is actually a suburb. (Yeah, I'm that far in the boonies) I've been working on a GSA in my school as well, but to no avail.

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I'm starting a GSA so, i guess you could say i run one. It's still in the planning stages but will be in full swing i hope before the school years end.

It'll focus on peoples under 18 in the St.John's NL area. As if there's anyone else from there here on EC besides me lol.

7. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm part of the GLBT society at my University.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

To those of you who are members of these groups, how useful and enjoyable do you find them?

9. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find the group's activities extremely enjoyable and useful. I've made several new friends and acquaintances.

10. step49x

I've found the group very helpful, mainly because it's given me other people I can talk to (who i can sit down and have coffee with, if i really wanted) (ok, more like hot chocolate. i'm not a coffee drinker).

The group I go to (the gay-straight forum) is helpful because they've brought in a few adult speakers to talk with us and share their stories. One person they brought in was a female minister from a local church. She talked about what she had gone through, because not only was she a female minister, she was also a lesbian.

Mostly, they've given people I can talk to for support.