1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I ever find true love

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Jul 14, 2013.

1. person57

Is it true that everybody finds/will find true love? I don't think I ever will. I don't think I'm attractive and a lot of people are mean and judge people by their looks. I try to be really nice but I don't think a lot of people care about personality. Am I a forever alone guy?

2. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know that feeling. And I won't give you that, "You're 14, just slow down," crap, because I get that too.
    I'm ugly, and as nice as I am to people, they don't want to hang out with me.
    The way I look at it, just give up, at least for now (Note this is not telling you to put love out of mind, but just focus on making yourself more attractive for a potential boy or girlfriend). Focus on becoming a better person, I guess. I'm at camp for a month, and I've tried out some new personality traits, and they've worked! I'm more popular than at school by a lot. College will hopefully be the same.

Just throwing this out there--you're probably not ugly. 99% of Yahoo! Answers guys saying they're ugly and girls don't like them aren't ugly--in fact, I find about 50% of them hot (I have a low threshold for hotness, I guess). If you're truly ugly, which I doubt you are, then that sucks. But if you post a picture, then you probably will get a general consensus of "not ugly."
    That's not discounting that you're truly ugly, like me. I've asked on Yahoo! Answers and have been called ugly, multiple times, and by serious answerers--not trolls. But it's just not statistically likely. Truly ugly people are uncommon because they are less likely to reproduce.

3. Fifty Ways

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Look. Even if you're unattractive (and you probably aren't as much as as you think), you live in a world full of unattractive people who are also really nice people and really hopeful that they'll fall in with someone someday. And though it might not like how it goes on tv, you might meet someday and because what you'll fall in is going to be actual companionate love, that won't matter.

Love is not the chattel of the beautiful; it's the birthright of every human being.

And as long as you continue to work your hardest to be a better person than you are now, to seek people like you while being a person you think you could like, you can be sure that someday you'll manage to claim it.

I should probably admit that I'm not very good-looking either. :/

#3 Fifty Ways, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  4. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I disagree with this. Maybe it should be a birthright, but it sure as hell isn't. This guy's going through self-esteem challenges which many of us face. Don't tell him that "you deserve it" and make him feel sad because if he deserves it, why doesn't he have it?

Love is something ugly people have to work for. I'm not saying there are no people who look above looks (puns ftw), I'm just saying there are very few. I'm ugly and I judge a person's dateworthiness by their looks. If I can be so hypocritical, average or above-average looking people will judge the same way I do with overwhelming frequency.

I don't want to rag on you, Fifty Ways, I'm just trying to say that I know these feelings, and I hate it when people tell me things like "wait and it will come because you deserve it and you're a beautiful flower on the inside."

5. Fifty Ways

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being unattractive is certainly a barrier to finding love, but it's not insurmountable for the very specific reason that there are other unattractive people out there, too who are also especially desirous of love. These people can and should connect; only barriers of time and geography and the qualities of those involved prevent it.

I stand by what I said earlier. Love is the birthright of every human being. In a more general sense, this is a moral assertion based in agapist ethics; but concretely it works the same way. Something being a right doesn't mean it's going to fall in your lap or even be fairly distributed — but it does mean that he should know that his effort is a meaningful one and grounded in worth. I'm not saying that anything will come because anyone deserves anything — I am asserting the importance of becoming a better person.

I can understand that you feel a bit jaded about it right now, and I probably should, too, but it's simply not the correct attitude to take in the face of the social psychological facts.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel, but you have to keep up hope. Maybe you will find love, maybe you won't. You might find the love of your life at the age of 20, or 50. Live life for your sake, and you'll find love some day.

7. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

I'm sure you will be alright! almost everybody have that feeling sometimes..
    many people afraid of being alone, and i'm one of them

8. person57

Thank you guys for the replies! I really appreciate it, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

9. castle walls

There are people out there that do judge on personality. Some people develop secondary sexual attraction. While I haven't seen any research done on this subject yet, I know that I have experienced this myself on multiple occasions.

Just because you don't think you're attractive doesn't mean that everyone will find you unattractive. I don't think there are any objectively "ugly people". The whole thing is subjective. Different people are attracted to different things. There are over 7 billion people on this planet. Even when you adjust for geography, language, and age, you still have quite a few people to chose from. I don't think that each and every one of those people would find you unattractive.

With all the people in the world, I think you'll find love in the future

10. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Most people think that so you are not alone, it's only natural to wonder what the future may hold, I feel exactly the same and I am 44, you are only 14 so you are just starting out.
    I wish I had come out a lot sooner, and when you get older you do regret not doing certain things earlier on in life.
    Like coming out, trying to live how I wanted to live but couldn't because of the people around me, and being more upfront