1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

really????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by danbyization171, Jul 15, 2013.

1. danbyization171

2. LinkLarkin

This is so awesome. There's a long way to go yet but the fact that even a handful of people have been "cured" (I say tentatively) is amazing considering how hopeless things looked a few years ago. Here's hoping they start letting us donate blood again one day.

3. Idek1204

That's awesome. I don't have HIV, or know anyone who does, but I'm so pleased they're getting somewhere with working on it.

4. justjade

I'm pleased, too. This is great news! I'm proudly disease-free, but still. HIV is something that's plagued humanity for a long time, and I'll be glad when it's gone. :slight_smile:

5. danbyization171

It is indeed great news :grin:

Just out of interest what actually if you are diagnosed with HIV cus obviously there is no cure yet but they can't just do nothing can they??

6. LinkLarkin

There are some treatments available. I don't know the specifics because I don't know anybody with HIV, but if they catch it early then they can put you on an intensive treatment plan which should keep most of the symptoms at bay for a considerable amount of time. If they catch it late then they can give you a limited amount of treatment to essentially reduce your symptoms and make you comfortable in the time you have left. An actual cure would be absolutely amazing though.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For people diagnosed early, the current treatment protocols are very promising. HIV is no longer the death sentence it was 25+ years ago, and most people can live a normal lifespan. They will still have complications they wouldn't have if they were not HIV+, and the treatments are obscenely expensive (in the thousands of dollars per month), but it is a much better prognosis than before.

Even people who aren't diagnosed until a fairly advanced stage can, in most cases, have a reasonably healthy and functional life.

It doesn't make it any less important to always play safe, but for those who have made mistakes, it gives them a second chance.