1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT in schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Starling, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well school is starting soon for me and I was thinking, how different are schools in correlation to LGBT issues? Is your school tolerant and accepting? Mine is still in the "Don't tell" sort of stage as I like to think of it. LGBT students are often thrown under the bus when they are victims of bullying. Just wondering about how schools in different areas are on the subject :slight_smile:

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine is tolerant and accepting. I was deathly afraid to saying anything though.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, my school's relatively accepting of homosexuality, though I am the only LGBT student and have yet to inform my four fellow K-12 students and mother of my gender situation. :wink:

Anyway... The last public school I went to was relatively accepting- didn't get thrown under the bus for kissing my partner in public at least...

College I'm going to this fall is, I'm told, got a good LGBT atmosphere. There's a GSA (which seems to be up my alley- does a lot of activism/LGBT awareness) and I'm hoping to see if I can't be out as trans* on campus.

4. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    You know now that you mention college I must say I am really concerned, because I plan on coming out in college however I don't have the funds for anything but local campuses and I'm not sure I know any out students in any of these colleges, nor do I think they have any sort LGBT awareness.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I should expand haha

K-5: I don't know, no one really gave it thought but then again no one does in Elementry (not to my knowledge)
    6-8: I don't think anyone cared as the area I grew up in has been growing more liberal due to an extremely liberal college campus nearby
    9-12: No one cared for the same reason I just explained. No one really got bullied for being open about their sexuality.
    College: No one bats an eyelid due to this is the liberal college campus I just got done talking about. Our GSA-like organization has a really big impact for the community and a large percentage of the campus is involved in it. So yea no bullying of LGBT people in our community :grin:

6. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    That's awesome! Must be great to live in such an accepting community!

7. chrisV

i live in new york, so people are mostly pretty accepting. of course there are still homophobes, but most people don't really care. i go to high school, but my friends who are in college say it's even better there.

8. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My high school was extremely tolerant and accepting. Yeah, there were a few homophobic assholes, but they didn't last long at that school.

The college I'm currently going to is pretty accepting as well. Again, it's not perfect, but, it's as close to perfect as it can get.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

For starters, I'd recommend contacting student guidance and asking them about their policies regarding trans* students, what sort of protections might be in place, the LGBT culture, etc. And then, it all depends on you. You could contact professors and inform them of the situation (preferred pronoun and name), see how that goes. I find, going by little to no personal experience, that colleges tend to have a fairly liberal environment so I think they'll be more accepting than you might think.

Best of luck, mate. Hope it all pans out. :slight_smile:

10. Munyal

I live in a sort of suburb/countryside aea near Kansas City, and people in my grade were really accepting, expect for those douchebags that think they're cool by making fun of people with more friends than them. My friends and I got a good kick out of this when we explained it to them.

Random idiot guy: Hey (my name) (grabs my arm and says "I love you")
    Me: We always knew you had these feelings for men, but I do have standards, and well, your just too stupid for me.
    RIG: ???
    Friend A: Maybe (insert other idiot guy's name here) will appreciate you offer! *yells idiot 2's name*
    Idiot 2: wut
    Friend B: Idiot 1 here said he had to lower his standards in men, and he chose you! You're the winner!
    Idiot 2: Idiot 1 is homo!? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Idiot 1: No I'm not!
    Me: Who was the one who garbbed me to say "I love you?"

And so on and so forth.

11. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mine is freindly... exept for the muslim and black (all from haiti) male immigrants,they often make homophobic comments,and there was an LGBT poster in the bathroom and a guy from haiti threw water on it..
    The other people are really supportive,but I dont plan to come out in school because of those guys.
    A guy in gym keeps anoyng me by sayng getting in the showers gets me exited,but he dosent know I am really gay.

#11 Zam, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  12. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks a ton :slight_smile: I'll be sure to talk to the counselors!

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The high school two towns over had a gay kid commit suicide after being shoved into lockers and (literally) pissed on by classmates, so they now have what they call the "Eagle Hotline" to report bullying. They pretend to care about it, but they really don't.

14. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha, we don't even have hotline. No one pretends to care.

15. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The kids don't really care, bit of homophobia, but like most guys experimented sooo, they can't say much. Adults are more homophobic.

16. LinkLarkin

My high school - not really a problem, people got detention for homophobic comments etc. I do remember an incredibly camp guy being sent home after turning up one day in a tutu, but that's presumably more related to uniform requirements than sexuality.

College - it never really came up so not much of an issue. It was an incredibly accepting and diverse atmosphere though so I suspect it was absolutely fine, even though it was a Catholic college.

University - my uni is nationally renowned for the quality of its LGBTQ association, which I can't wait to get involved with when I go back next semester.

17. Fiddledeedee

You hear "fag" and "dyke" on occasion, but it's not rooted in homophobia; people are very accepting and understanding of LGB folk. I didn't get any negative responses or even looks upon coming out in Year 9. We also watched The Homophobia Project in Year 9 Health Ed, which was good, although I certainly hope that they did more in Years 10 and 11, including discussing safe same-sex sex.

There is little understanding of transgender issues, though, and no education about it. When "tranny" is used, it doesn't even seem like people know it's offensive, and they are using it for actual transgender folk.

18. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    My high school is the kind where people will still make offensive jokes (much to my chagrin - being the only out kid at my school >.<) but then they buckle their shit together and always apologize around me and i just roll my eyes :x

They are generally accepting of LGB folks, but have a terrible track- record with Trans people>.> the one trans kid that all the girls loved and all the guys hated had to transfer schools because of bullying.

Yeah, most people at my school dont even know what trans* is, or that there are MORE people than the girl mentioned above^ lol, they would die if they knew. We don't learn ANYTHING about homosexuality (honestly, it should be taught in schools... not "taught" exactly, but information should be available, its hard to put to the right words :x... Lets just say my all male health class for me was basically a joke haha... (loved getting asked "what if you get a girl pregnant?")

Basically they still make offensive jokes and just apologize usually and try to work it out themselves.
    but honestly are ok with LGB people, and its kind of endearing to see nearly all the guys in my school at least "try"... they try really hard and its kind of cute on some of them :3

One day some chick ive known for a long ass time just out and yelled "God, you faggot!" right in front of me and i almost bitch-slapped her xD she wasn't talking about me, and it surprised me because shes THE NICEST PERSON ever o.o

19. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Mine's quote mixed. Some people think nothing of it, but others are extremely homophobic. There are a fair few gay, lesbian and bisexual people in my school as well.

20. Idek1204

My school (I've left now) was an all girls school so everyone was very "she's such a lesbian" about things. And one or two people came out as lesbians and were pretty much ignored and people would act like they would always come onto them and stuff. It was pretty annoying.