1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Long Distance Relationship worth it at 14?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SameAsYou, Jul 15, 2013.

1. SameAsYou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ~LDR=(L)ong (D)istance (R)elationship~

So I've been dating this guy I met on ****** for a couple of days now. I'm from South Texas and he's From England . So the 6 Hour difference isn't the best. But we both made a commitment to each other that we would stick with this . and we won't let 5001 Miles separate us. we have a lot in common and I can really picture this turning out for the best. I know it don't sound like it but so far it's been easy to keep up with it , we can talk for endless hours and want the same things in the future.
    The thing is...
    I'm going into high school.
    And I just can't help but feel like , theirs so many opportunities and relationships i can have in high school. And i might miss out on them . But then again. High school wont matter later on in life , especially if I end up with this guy. So what do you guys think ? Stay with this guy , and might have a happy ending ? Or go and See what happens in high school.?
    Before you Answer.
    I just gonna point out that hes 15 and about to turn 16. (I'm 14, My BDay is in March) Also , Hes been in a LDR for a year and a half. before the guy cheated on him >.< This is my first LDR , so i'm still coping with the distance. And I can see myself staying in this relationship. But i just need some options on if its a good idea. We already planned to meet , but years from now...
    I know this sounds crazy .
    But hes really respectful . So he doesn't beg for Inappropriate pics or anything , and we already prove to each other that we weren't using fake Profile images (I made sure of that before we even started talking) So He isn't some 90 Year Old Pervert. :lol:

2. LD579

To be dreadfully and bluntly honest, this realistically may not work out. Even optimistically speaking, when would be the first time that either of you see each other in person? I do feel like you'd have many opportunities in high school and afterwards... You've also only known him for a few days, it sounds.

I think you should be his friend, but hold off on a relationship with him. Feelings can change over time, and you're both still very young and are growing in many ways. It'd likely be best for both of you if you stayed in contact but looked for romance elsewhere. Who knows what people are around you who could offer you a pleasant relationship as well, you know?

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. You're too young, and this really isn't a good idea, given the fact that he says he's from England and you met him online. He still could be anybody.

Sorry to be preachy, but you're really too young to be having serious relationships. But I can't make you do anything. It's all up to you. That's just my advice.

4. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I agree I met my ex thru chat avenue thank god he wasn't a dangerous person . But I never recommend ldrs unless u know them from ur home town.

5. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're going to spend at least another four years living apart from this person even if it works out, and in high school it's difficult to earn enough money for regular visits (or any visits). That's an enormous amount of time with no offline contact, when neither of you have had much time to grow in that area of your life.

Considering how difficult it is to know who you really want to be with in high school, I'm going to be honest and say that it's a very, very risky investment. With people who are in or finished with college, at least, they're freer and more able to travel or relocate and have had a longer time to build up an idea of what they need to gauge whether or not such a relationship is going to be worth it.

#5 Capsaicin, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I agree with the above responses I did something like this around the same age and alot of (then) mutual feelings like "We'll meet up someday, this can totally work out~" ended up amounting to nothing. It's easy to make a spur of the moment promise like that but 5-10 years gives alot of time for you, your life, and your feelings to change. There's no shortage of people on the internet you can meet who'll have alot of things in common with you, are fun/easy to talk to, and are just great individuals overall with the potential to become lifelong friends. Just finding one with a compatible sexual preference should never automatically greenlight an LDR; there's more to it than that. even if this guy seems like the single most important person in your life right now, you don't know that he'll continue to remain so until however many years ahead you have a realistic chance of meeting each other in person. And of course that's assuming in the first place he is who he says he is and intends to seriously commit to an LDR for as long as that takes. I don't mean to offend or belittle you, but it's my honest opinion as well as my own personal experience that for a 15yr old this is much easier said than done, and there's a small likelihood the relationship will last to when you meet for the first time.

Sorry to be so negative.. I would say to definitely keep in contact with him, as a friend if he really matters to you. Then later down the road, should meeting become a valid option and he's remained a consistantly supportive genuine friend, who knows what could happen? Just no need to rush into anything now, specially if you haven't known him long.

#6 kageshiro, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. Pain

Pain Guest

Not true. ^

Your age and serious relationships aren't related. Though, your age severely restricts this kind of distance. You are not independent of your parents or guardians, I'm sure. There's also the probability that the guy from England isn't as well. In my opinion, long-distance is never a good thing in a relationship. I'm mostly independent from my parents, and I had a hard enough time dealing with one that was a two-hour drive from where I lived. Going along with that, you're probably not gonna see each other often. That will inhibit growth in the relationship to a dire extent.

Plus, I can't help but wonder why you were on a site that had to be censored by EC when you're 14... That itself kinda makes my mind immediately jump to 'unhealthy.'

8. SameAsYou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update.
    It was hard, and I mean hard. But I told him that maybe this wan't a good idea and that we should continue with our separate lives. I told him about how if he stays with me he might be held back from his wants and dreams. Especially if he wants to visit me and we want to move somewhere. I told him that even if we tried, it still might not work out, how he's 5001 miles away from me, how we need to move on with the lifes we have back home before we plan for things that might never happen. He was really sad , and I had many regrets , but in the end theirs really not much i can do. I Erased any contact and pictures i had of him . I cant tell you how much it hurt to do that. I did it so I dont get tempted to Text him again. To try it again. I really did like this guy and idk why, because it hasnt even been a week sence we met. I know that if we where to continue it would had just been too hard to keep up with. Too Pricey, and too long. I hope i can meet him again someday. But For now, I hope that he can find someone he can hug , cuddle , kiss , laugh , and just be happy with. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

And that site wasn't a bad one. But they have to remove it due to other reasons.:dry:

9. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe LDRs are worth it, ever, regardless of your age. I've never had one and never will.

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Never worth it,if that person dosent live within 10 minute walktime or is not at school ,its not worth it for you,because you aint got no car.

11. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    there is a quote (i'm not sure who originally said it) that says "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it’s yours. If it doesn't, it never was."

This seems to be true in your situation

12. sguyc

Ha. No. If you are having fun dont worry about it though.