1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone tell me how they perfected their artistic ability?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I really wanna be the best in the culinary world just like my boss and many other great pastry chefs. How do I do that ? My artistic ability is stick and doodles and I really wanna build it to the next level

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I have quite a good artistic ability in terms of music as I play guitar. I think it's just a matter of practise. Lots of practise regularly.

3. Femmeme

Frankly artist ability can never be perfected, only improved.

Practice and study. If you want to be great artist study great artists. You can begin the practice part by making reproductions or pieces inspired by artists you love, that's the best way to learn basic technique whether your medium be paint, stone, words or cake. Do the work, then do it again... Then again... Then... well you get the picture.

You want to be a great pastry chef, bake and decorate every. Single. Day. Pick a dessert and make perfecting that one thing your goal. Once it's perfect pick another. Don't stop, don't get discouraged, don't be upset when you screw up. Just. Keep. Working.

Make it your job, your hobby, your passion.

#3 Femmeme, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. kem

kem

Practice, practice, make mistakes and learn from them. To become better you have to be critical of your progress, your talent, your everything. Analyse what you do and try to consider what made it good or bad so you know what to change. You can and should also analyse the work of others. I guess for a pastry chef-in-making that would mean trips to expensive restaurants...

I aim to draw 10-15 30-second croquis poses every day, and paint once or twice a week. I am extremely passionate about it, but I don't draw all the time; I have other interests as well such as cooking, music, film and exercise. I don't know how much this applies to you particular field of art (Yes cooking is an art form as well, don't you dare deny it), but it's vital to do other things as well. To me, time spent away from a blank paper is as important as time spent drawing.

Try like baking bread every morning, you should save a lot of money not to mention freshly baked bread is incredibly good.

#4 kem, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  5. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Practice makes perfect.

6. KhanSaheb

As everyone else has said, practice. I would also add research to that. When you're practicing, research others in your field. When the cake's in the oven and you're waiting for the timer to go off, flip through some cookbooks or look up recipes on the net.

I worked in food service for many years. I've always said that recipes are just guidelines. Whenever I make something new, I make it my own. I have other artistic endeavors and I try to do the same with them. Get inspiration from others whom you respect, then put your own creativity into your creation.

7. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    make practice enjoyable or you will quit sooner or later. But what do you specifically mean with artistic abilities? Do you mean knowledge of music, art and litterature or do you mean the practise of it? :slight_smile:

8. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well you know what they say about ten thousand hours... :slight_smile: It takes ten thousand hours to master something.

9. FractiousJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    To quote Macklemore:

The Greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the Greats were great because they paint a lot.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing that comes to mind about what someone said about Picasso, he "took pains" to create his work.

There is a filmed documentary of Picasso at work which dates from the early 60's, and it shows the trial and error process that he goes through to create a drawing (you can probably find it on YouTube). On one drawing, it is amazing how many times he starts, erases, starts again, erases again...it is almost obsessive how he is trying to match the vision that he has in his mind to get it onto the paper he is working on.

Something "good" has quality, it shows that someone cared deeply how this product would turn out, the same applies to everything we do, from repairing motorcycles to painting masterpieces, you have to struggle with it, get stuck, move away to get a larger perspective, then try again if it doesn't meet that mysterious thing called "quality".

11. Hun

Hun

Artistry can never be perfected. Even the arguably greatest artists of all time such as Picasso, da Vinci, and Michelangelo, had flaws in their work.

12. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A true artist knows that their work will never be perfect ^,-