1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With a Good Friend's Ex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pain, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you date a friend's ex?

1. Yes

11.1%
  2. No

22.2%
  3. Under certain circumstances (explain)

66.7%
  1. Pain

Pain Guest

Yo,

So, I was thinking lately, if I found one to suit my standards, I would date a friend's ex. I'm not saying I am, or I have--right now, I would have no qualms over it. And apparently this is a big thing in friendships; I've heard of friendships falling apart because someone dated another friend's ex.

So, what are your thoughts on that? Would you date another friend's ex?

2. LinkLarkin

This is just my opinion, I don't expect it to be agreed with necessarily - but I think there are very few occasions where one can truly be friends with one's ex. Sure, you can be really friendly and stop and have a nice conversation every time you see each other, but unless you only dated for a couple of weeks before deciding you weren't compatible, I doubt things would ever go back to being the way they were before. So I imagine that if I was in that situation, whether or not things had ended acrimoniously between me and my ex, I would not want to be around them all the time, and I would hope that my friend would respect that. And as I think I would feel that way, I would avoid putting my friends in that position in case they felt the same.

This is all very hypothetical, I don't yet have enough gay friends to be in this position.

3. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I voted a few hours ago, but didn't have a chance to respond, but now that I'm home:

I said under certain circumstances. It would have to be ok with my friend. I have strong relationships with most of my friends, so I would prefer it be alright with them before I did something like that. I don't think that I would have an immediately strong connection with someone enough that I would put a relationship with them over my current friends.

4. prism

Not without asking. If your friend says no, you should respect that.

5. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah. If I ever get anyone attracted to me, that I find attractive, I'm going for it. Sorry not sorry.

6. Yeah, I'll take what I can get. If I really like someone, not dating her because my friend once dated her seems silly.

7. justjade

I've actually dated a good friend's ex before. She just noticed while she was dating him that he was always talking about me, so she figured he'd be happier with me. I voted "under certain circumstances" because if it's OK (I mean, really OK and they're not just saying that) with your friend.

8. jargon

Depends on circumstances: how long ago they dated, how serious it was, etc. Most importantly, is the friend ok with it?