1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever had a car accident?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Idek1204, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Idek1204

Today I did.

I'm on a gap year (to get better from mental health issues rather than to go on exciting adventures!) and over the year have been saving up money to not rely on my parents for extra university costs and/or help pay for going somewhere nice when I'm well enough to.
    Oh how wrong I was.

Anyway, so today I went volunteering, parked my car and went in.

4 hours later, I left and saw my car was half way in the road . . . Odd.
    Then I soon realised that my car was also touching another car . . . Oh shit.

As it transpires, the hand brake failed (according to my dad, due to the heat that can happen?! Say what?!) and rolled down the slight slope into another car.

At least it didn't hit anyone.
    Or at least the other car was there - if it didnt hit the other car then it would have run right into a junction and down a really steep hill directly after the junction.

Anyway. There goes my money.

Have you ever had a car accident?

2. HeyAshley

ah that totally sucks, i'm sorry. but i'm glad that you're okay!

i've never been in an actual wreck but i did back my ex-bf's truck through the garage door because i forgot to raise it. he found it hilarious, but if it were me, i would of probably ended his life right there on the spot. kidding, but yeah.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, and foremost, we're glad you're alright. Accidents can be scary (*hug*).
    That being said, one can assume I've been in an accident.

The summer preceding my Senior year of high school, I had a car accident (and it was my fault). I was going to hang out with my friend one day and we were going to go somewhere that I didn't have any idea where it was. Both of us could drive so I had this brilliant idea that I'll drive myself. I had no idea where this place was by the way (brilliant idea right?) So I was driving and thought I passed it so I found an opportunity to take a left and ask for directions. I thought I could make it no problem. Well, unfortunately, I didn't make it. The other car was going wayy too fast that she slammed into me and forced my car into a ditch. The ditch was kind of fortunate as a electrical pole was beyond the ditch and if I went into the pole then I don't want to think what would have happened. I was SO pissed that this has happened that I got out of the car and charged for the other driver. Both cars were totaled and my leg hurt for a week or two. The other person claimed that the accident caused her to have some pain in her shoulder. Like seriously, the only reason you could have pain in your shoulder is if you slowed down way too fast, and if you slowed down why didn't you stop? And you claim you didn't have enough time to stop like what the :***: Also you could have changed lanes to the one that I already passed, no one was in the other lane. But this is all in the past and I tend not to dwell on the past if I can help it.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Statistically speaking, you are bound to have an accident by the time you have been driving for about 5 years. I've been driving since I was 18 (OMG that's 35 years and who knows how many millions of kilometers later!). So I have had a few minor altercations... but the strangest one was when I was working up North at the age of 19.

I was on the airport tarmac and backing up a pickup truck while turning when suddenly the left wing of a Piper Aztec smashed into the driver's side window (I wasn't injured).

I got fired for this and the plane was damaged enough not to be airworthy for a while...life's little lessons...:rolle:

5. justjade

Wow... I'm glad you're OK. Sucks that that happened to you, though.

I was in an accident, and I will never forget it. It was November 7th, 2010. It was the birthday of the guy who sold it to me, which is pretty weird. But anyway, I was 21, almost 22. I had gotten called in to work, so I was driving kind of fast to get there. Well, I got up onto the turn to get onto the bridge. I took the turn too hard and lost control of my car. Next thing I know, my the front end of my car is pancaked into the concrete barrier in the middle of the highway, and I can't breathe. My seatbelt gave, and my chest had bounced off the steering wheel. I call 911, but I can't talk very easily, so this guy comes up to my car and asks if he can talk to the operator. He talks to them for a bit, then returns my phone. The ambulance gets there, and they have to drag me across the passenger seat since they can't get my driver's side door open. The start to move me to put me on a backboard, and then I realize I can't move my right foot. I had broken my ankle and had to get 2 screws put in it. Once I got over the initial shock and realized I wasn't going to die, I was OK, but it was scary as fuck.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was getting a lift home from a friend of my brothers from a Night Club & he crashed into the back of a Taxi, before driving off & leaving the scene of the Crash, he had been drinking before hand!

7. Idek1204

I didn't know statistically speaking a crash is likely to happen in the first 5 years of driving?! Well at least I've got my crash out the way :wink:

Man these stories sound really scary!
    ILIKECATS - that sounds so irritating! But because they went into the back of you, does that make it (insurance wise), that they have to pay for the damage?

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to hear about that! That sounds like a really unfortunate accident. I would be really panicked/frustrated if I just came back out into the parking lot and found that something happened to my car. I hope you'll get yours all fixed up soon.

I've only had one minor incident/accident when I was first learning how to drive. I had my driver's permit, and my parents let me drive locally when we went out to run errands so I could get practice. I was at a red light at a right turn where I could turn as long as there was no oncoming traffic. I looked out to the left and saw that a car was coming, but it seemed far away enough that I could go. I stepped on the gas, that car was coming a lot faster than I thought, my dad was yelling at me to stop, so I slammed on the brake. The car directly behind me didn't anticipate that I was going to suddenly stop, so she rammed right into the back of my car. Turns out the lady had neither car insurance nor a valid driver's license.

Another time, I barely escaped an accident but it left me pretty shocked. It was a rainy day. I was at a right turn (again, yeah, seems I have bad luck with right turns) waiting for the green light. As soon as it turned green, I stepped on the gas pretty hard while maneuvering the turn. My car swerved out of control, I almost ran into a concrete island in the middle of the road, but I quickly regained control of the car and just missed the island. I was shaken up though. Now, after that experience, I get nervous when driving in the rain—especially at turns. I turn super slow now whenever it's raining.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Forgot to say, I hurt my kneecap & drew blood :eek:

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since it was my fault, they had to pay nothing. But I did a defensive driving course and got the ticket removed from my record :grin: I actually really don't know what went on "behind the scenes" as my parents dealt with pretty much everything. All I know is that our rates went up -_-

11. Idek1204

Dublin Boy - ah that sounds bad! I assume your knee was okay in the end? Don't drink and drive man. (Or get into cars with friends who do!)
    At least my accident didnt hurt anyone?! It was just my car deciding to drive with no one in it! Darn it mini! It must've been fairly funny to watch though

Musikk021 - if I were you I'd be more worried about right turns than the rain :wink: they both sound really scary though. Where I'm from you need to have insurance to be able to drive? Is that a law in California? (Well also we need to have a valid license ... I bloody hope its the same there with that law :wink: ).

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2013 at 10:11 PM ----------

Oh really? I heard it was always the persons behinds fault? I'm probably wrong, I don't read law stuff. At least your parents sorted it for you! My dads sorting mine for me. I left a scribbled tear dropped note on his windscreen apologising with my number so that and my money is the extent of my involvement.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was riding with my aunt to pick my cousin up from summer camp. We're driving down the dirt road, and a guy in some crappy early-90's Cavalier pulls out of a parking lot right in front of my aunt's toaster van. BOOM! He jumps out of the car and made a complete ass of himself.

"This is a one-way street! ONE WAY!!!"

If that were true, you could only get OUT OF the camp, not INTO it.

"My car's so special and rare and expensive," he yelled as he kicked his bumper down the street. "Yours is just a dime-a-dozen!"

Really? I haven't seen a van like that since they sold it. And you probably couldn't get $100 for your shitty little 2-door clown car.

13. KazTastic

Reversed into someone once. The worst thing about it was that the car I was driving at the time (a shitbox '96 Integra) wasn't written off, and instead was badly repaired.

I got rear-ended once at the lights by some guy in a Camry (every time you see a bad driver on Australian streets, you can bet that they're driving a Camry), luckily the towbar took most of the damage.

14. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

15. Hexagon

I was on my moped, got knocked off. Had car fear for a while. Other than that, someone drove into my dad's car while I was in it once.