1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting up for a job that starts at 6am on a a Saturday. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TyraBanksIsFierce, May 5, 2008.

1. TyraBanksIsFierce

Its at a supermarket and It goes till 2:30 in the afteroon and the pay is 9.60 an hour before tax(In New Zealand Dollars - It's 7.50 USD and 7.98 AUD)

And its like stocking shelves so I'm not dealing with anyone.

Thoughts?

2. Micah

For a 15 year old I'd say it's not too bad. You get off work early enough for you to go home and sleep if you have a party or something on the saturday night too.

3. LOVEjames

At 15 I would take any job I can get. <3 If I were like... a year or two older, I wouldn't take it. I do not easily get up that early for that little pay.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is totally awesome to be finished work that early in the day... I used to work 6am to 2pm when I was in high school and while the early part isn't fun, it's really nice to have most of your afternoon free.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The early starts won't be fun but the early finish and having most of the afternoon and the whole evening to yourself is good.

Is it easy to get to (walking distance) from your home? I guess your parents may not want to get up that early to drive you there. Try to have everything ready for the morning (clothes sorted out, anything you need to take where you know where it is etc), so you are not rushing around half asleep in the morning.

It sounds like a steady job with good hours (not the 16 hours a week part time crap we have a lot of here). I don't know about the money but if it's a big chain it will be the regular rate for the job. Converting to UK money it seems to be around the minimum wage for 16 year olds here.

Plus if you do well you could probably get better hours later. Also you can get a reference from them which will help with getting a better job in the future. It's not that easy to get a job at 15, so I think you should go for it and give it your best efforts.

Just make sure you get enough sleep, which means you'll probably have to go to bed earlier most nights. It's a change of routine but you'll be fine once you get used to it, and at your age that shouldn't take too long.

6. Grof142007

sounds good heck i would take it that better than my job right now( working at a fast food resturant)

heck now that i look at it alot better

7. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's no way I'd do that unless the pay were significantly higher.

1. My family stays awake until around 12 to 1 am, they make noise while they're awake, and I'm sensitive to small amounts of noise when I try to sleep. Bad combination.
    2. I don't sleep well, so I could end up going to work feeling extremely tired.
    3. Regardless of sleeping well the night before a shift, I would try to. This means I could end up wasting my night just by trying to sleep when I could do funner things.
    4. If I slept poorly, I may feel like my whole day is ruined because I might not be able to rejuvenate myself. This often happened to me when I would get scheduled to start work at 8 or 9 am.
    5. My sleep cycle would probably get messed up.
    6. Because of allergies, my eyes increasingly spasm with increasingly worse nights of sleep.

My situation comes down to my inability to change my sleep cycle, really. As a result, my schedule of working shifts of ~4 to 10:45 pm works out well. Your situation and values of when you want free time may be different, so do what works for you. :slight_smile:

8. Tim

Tim

At 15? :confused: Aren't there laws in New Zealand about how early a minor can work? :confused:

But like others have said, at 15 I'd take any job I could get lol >_< Still looking and I'm 19 :astonished:

9. Louise

I'd do it, it is only one day a week that you have to get up so early and you have the benefit of having the whole afternoon free. It will earn you some money and get you some work experience and out an about meeting people.

When I was 15 I worked in a supermarket on the cash desk, had a great laugh with the other guys there, it was a really good first work experience... could be worse, in England kids deliver the morning paper everyday before school, so in the wind or the rain they jump on their bikes and pedal off to the paper shop, pick up the papers and deliver them before going home having breakfast and going off to school and this 7 days a week well not school at the week end :lol: ... I did that too from age 12 -15. Loads of kids in England work early jobs, doesn't kill them!

10. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to work at a grocery store and you weren't assigned fixed hours, but I always enjoyed the 6:30AM - 1:00PM shift because it wasn't busy in the morning, and you got the whole rest of the day off.

I also enjoyed the 7:00PM - 1:00AM shift because it wasn't busy and none of the managers were there.

11. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yea! :] at least u get to finish at 2

12. dictionary

is that the normal pay rate for 15 year olds in nz? cause aus$ i would get paid $10-$11 an if its only $7.50 aud that would be fair shit...

13. ok455

I would take it its better then having no job.

I think that is a perfect hours its better then those middle shifts 1:30pm 10:30pm. Stocking is not too bad its better then doing receiving

you should just explain to your family about your job and can they keep it down while your sleeping

#13 ok455, May 9, 2008
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
  14. OneHatMadder

I wake up at 6A.M on Saturdays on quite often on Sundays as well as school. I get 12.00 NZD an hour. I have to deal with people... Not just people... Old people with dementia (I'm not complaining. I love 'em to pieces but they aren't easy to deal with)

I would SO take the job. You might as well.