1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I can't stand about "Christians."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Brakmek, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Brakmek

Brakmek Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I, myself, am a Christian, born and raised that way. I go to church some, always go to bible school, etc., but I hate it when people who call themselves "Christians" don't know the first thing about loving thy neighbor, or maybe forgiveness, or how lying, stealing, alot of sins, are all "abominations" in the eyes of God. Okay....

First off, the Bible teaches us to forgive someone who has wronged you, but how can you forgive someone if you're so disgusted by their existence that you won't go within a 30 meter radius of their house? "Oh no, we just moved in next to a homosexual couple, better move a few house down or we'll catch 'the gays' and go to hell!" I've seen that happen before.:dry: And plus, how have they wronged you at all. I mean, geez, they usually just keep to themselves! It wouldn't hurt to say "Hi, how was your day?" while they're waving at you! :bang::bang::bang:

Second, the Bible teaches us that as long as we believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior, we'll go to heaven and be with God. Alright, who the hell cares if you believe in the Gospel or not, because you'll go to hell anyway just for making a sin that is as equally bad as simply lying or "borrowing." Alright, it's an abomination in the eyes of God, I get it! But I also see that you're being a hypocritical bully because you make abominations every day! An abomination is an abomination, bro, you do it too, so how am I worse?:tantrum::eusa_doh:

Third: alright, you've officially accepted the existence of homosexuals, congratulations!:dry: Wait, what's that? Why would you tell them to keep it to themselves? You just want to stuff 'em onto an island, away from all the straight people?:tantrum: Wtf!? Who cares? They're people too, just as you are. What the heck is your problem? Just because they're slightly different than you in one aspect, maybe even two, you cast them off like shackles?

Sorry for rambling. I could do more, but I don't want to make it too long. What do you guys think about this, or about any religion or family or whatever? I'm not bashng on anybody in particular, I'm just fed up with how my family is, sorry. And here we go, passing the eternal battle between "good" and "gay." I know not everyone is like that, but that's the most common as I can see.

:goodevil:

#1 Brakmek, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. HeyAshley

listed above is why i never talk about religion.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that feeling. I've stopped going by the Bible, as such, I go by the Sermon on the Mount and the Ten Commandments. The other things are the remnants of ancient Jewish law that are ridiculous to maintain and oppressive to those outside the rulings of patriarchy.

And for those who hate, do they matter? No, they don't. They're hypocrites who get furious when you prove them wrong. Those people are almost always un-changeable, so their stupidity is pointless to challenge, with the exception of proving them wrong to others, particularly their young, who aren't as ingrained in prejudice.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just try to be a good person and love everyone, and religion plays no part in my life. Some religious folk are like that, but most that I have known have been pretty sensible.

5. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Often people will use religion as an reason for their actions whether there a bad or good person. But really I think its just people be either good or bad people and it doesn't really have anything to do with their religion.

6. Munyal

I agree with this entirely.

7. Personally, I don't see how any meaningful love between two people could be an abomination in the eyes of god, but that's just what I believe being agnostic. Anyway, that's really unfortunate, real Christians would understand, but those who pass that kind of judgment are simply misguided. I have an aunt who's like that, needless to say she doesn't know about my sexuality. My grandmother, however, is completely accepting of me even though she's a devout catholic, because she knows she's just as guilty of sin as I am. Bottom line is, it's too bad that people are giving Christianity a bad name by pathetically attempting to use it to justify their discomfort for people who are different, because its true essence is so much different.

"I like your Christ, but not your Christians" - Ghandi

8. jimL

This is one of the reasons I stayed in the closet all my life. I stay out of the church nowadays. Weddings and funerals are the exception. I don't believe that one has to go to church to live a "good" life and be accepted by the "creator." The great outdoors is my church. Just live a good honest life and if there is an "afterlife" you will be in the right place.

The good news though is that my mom and aunt are both devout Catholics and they both accept me fully.

#8 jimL, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. KhanSaheb

I call them Cafeteria Christians. They go down the line picking and choosing what they want to cling to, while completely ignoring the things that are inconvenient to them. Those kind of people who shout loudly about Leviticus 18:22, completely ignore the rest of Leviticus which commands selling daughters into rape and slavery, not eating shrimp and lobster, not wearing fiber blends, not touching pig carcasses (That includes footballs, folks. I'm talking to you, Tim Tebow!), eating three-day-old leftovers, or working on the Sabbath, among other things.

So picture this: It's Saturday afternoon. The whole church shows up for a pig-roast and barbecue. Sister Betty Lou is wearing her new cotton/poly blended sundress while she watches Brother Ricky Lee toss around the football. By all rights, the entire congregation should be put to death.

Here's a great link to a hilarious letter written about Leviticus Law: An Open Letter to Dr. Laura Schlesinger « naked capitalism

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, that's basically why I try to avoid all talks about religion. But if I do end up in one, I just get up and leave saying "yea...this is my life and not yours so buh-bye"

11. biggayguy

This is one reason I converted from Pentecostal to being Catholic. At my parish they really don't mention the issue much. You just go to receive communion basically. However the official stance from Rome is that homosexual acts are sin. I may become Anglican.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I can't stand about Christians? Where do I start? As for pentecostal-evangelical- fundie types, they preach, are self-righteous, have Bible quotations are their fingertips for every occasion, live life by "fire and brimstone" diatribes rather than trying to enjoy it, are consumed by guilt, are judgmental, and working around this is a big part of being friends with one. It's just not worth it. And, like I've said, one of my friends described in the Friendships thread was talking about homosexual acts and said "Eeeew, it's so unnatural." One can really just shake their head, because that's the programming this friend has received. As for the Catholics, it's interesting that they too have this anti-gay stance, though some don't, when their church is sort of a big closet to begin with. I've found that going to church isn't necessary to lead a good life. I also don't want to be in a congregation where I feel like I am not a part of that community. Some people told me that's a cop out - that you are there to worship, and not for the other stuff. Sorry, I sense the other stuff, so it does not make it productive for me. I have not gone in a long time and don't miss it.

13. Jamie Lynn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I"m a Catholic but I don't go to church and most of the time I don't follow their teachings. What I have come to understand is that there is a huge difference between religion and faith! I am not a religious person but am definitely a person of faith! I also look at it this way, if Jesus can for give all of those people who beat him, mocked him, drove a crown of thorns in his head and then nailed him to a cross to die. Then I am confident that he can find it in his heart to forgive any transgressions that I may do.
    Jamie Lynn

14. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. BiPenguin

I spent 11 years in Catholic schools and I made the conscience decision to not listen to their hypocrisy when I was grade 2.

I am not overly fond of religious people but I do like spiritual people regardless of their faith. :slight_smile:

16. Lunarchy

What I dislike is the entire "Christians against Homosexuals" thing they have on the go. If homosexuality is a sin, than isn't that for god to decide/judge? I'm not a christian in any sense of the word, I just believe it is hypocritical to use a religion that promotes love in order to justify hate >)<

17. Idek1204

I agree. I'm a Christian too and I feel the exact same way.
    Also, my aunt studied the original text of the bible and the stuff regarding homosexuality is wrong - the bible doesn't say anything against it, it's just at time of translation of the bible - they were against homosexuality so manipulated the translation to sound like gods against it. Or something like that!

18. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Original text? This sounds interesting!! Like do you mean in terms of the New English Translation, King James' Version etc.?

You had my curiosity now you have my attention.

19. Idek1204

I'm not entirely sure if I'm honest but I can ask my aunt :slight_smile: I think she meant like pre-translation to English? So Hebrew? (I think!) But I could be wrong - I misunderstand people a lot so she could've meant something else

20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, Hebrew does sound about right :slight_smile: Please ask because this does spike my interest to the nth degree (almost as much as math does :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)