1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Speak now or forever hold your peace."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nicecoolguy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just thinking lately. More and more people I know are getting engaged and married, and I just thought I'd ask if anyone has either witnessed someone actually getting up and saying something, or has done so him/herself. Or, do you think there's a time you ever would speak?

2. Hexagon

I'd be unlikely to do so. Other people's marriages aren't my business.

3. LinkLarkin

If I had an issue then I think I would try to talk to the bride/groom about it months before the wedding instead of waiting to embarrass them on their big day in front of all their friends.

I've never seen anyone else do this because I've never been invited to a wedding :frowning2: :tears:

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only in movies.

5. biggayguy

Most people speak their piece well before the wedding. I suppose it could happen if someone was from way out of town and they really hated the other family. IMO it would just be rude to wait that long.

6. castle walls

I agree. I guess there are certain exceptions (like someone cheated right before the ceremony) but, besides those incredibly rare circumstances, I think it is rude to wait that long. Do they still say "speak now or forever hold your peace"? I've been to a few weddings and I've never heard it said in real life. Is it a personal choice to put that in there or am I just going to weird weddings?

Whenever I get married, I'm telling them not to say it. If we're already at the wedding, chances are I really don't care what anyone else has to say at that point

7. Rivers

I've actually seen it happen once. :confused:

I'm pretty sure the guy who objected was drunk. He was babbling something utterly unintelligible.

8. justjade

Exactly. Besides, who wants to start a riot at a wedding? There's going to be cake later if everyone keeps their pieholes shut!

9. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today, I don't think the phrase holds much weight, but you have to remember that it's a tradition from a time when there was more at stake than a divorce (if you could even get one). You had dowries and bride prices, and of course, when there's money and property involved you want to make sure that no one in the community has a reason for the two not to be wed.

I can imagine the priest making the statement in the 1400's and someone being like, "She's a witch! Burn her!" :eek:

10. justjade

:eek: Yikes!

Yeah, I completely forgot about the dowries. I don't think that there really needs to be an opportunity for people to make objections anymore, though. As a general rule, the wedding must go off without a hitch. Especially if it's extravagant and expensive.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just imagine the chaos if, at the "speak now" moment, someone were to get up and just yell "Dude's a faggot!" or "She's a dyke" or something like that? I mean, really? Why is it even still there?

I know a lot of marriage ceremonies where they've eliminated the "speak now" part entirely.

12. Idek1204

I've never really heard them say "speak now or forever hold your peace" at a wedding, let alone have anyone object.

13. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I agree with a lot of what everyone's saying. I guess I wouldn't ever expect anyone to do that, but hey, you never know.